MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2002, 03:12 PM   #1
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Unhappy Fried starter relay????????

I think I fried my starter relay ..... when I jump my starter relay (wire from push on connector to batt (+)) All it does is make a really loud click noise...??? Any ideas whats happening here?
Old 04-15-2002, 03:45 PM   #2
DRASTiK
Registered Member

If it's just clicking, then there's probably no juice getting to the starter. Doesn't necessarily mean that it's fried. Are you installing a new starter? I saw the post earlier about taking a pic of the solenoid, and I planned on doing that for you when I got home from work.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:47 PM   #3
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Hey Drastik, do you know how to "bench" test the starter? I bought a new starter and I think it might be defective! Just want to make sure before I take it back....

Thanks Eh!

Big Bopper.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:57 PM   #4
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default grounds and starter...

I'd check all your grounds..especially the one to the starter.
A bad/poor/corroded ground in your starter circuit could cause your starter to draw too much amperage and cause a nice light show followed by nada (that clicking is your relay tripping).
That would be my next check since the relay is okay.
Check battery terminals for corrosion/connection and wire integrity.
Good Luck.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:07 PM   #5
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Hey Hozer, This car is a complete rebuild and I don't know squat about wiring......... Is there a starter ground in the circuit? How many grounds should be hooked up ? Maybe I'm missing a ground wire somewhere (the engine bay was bare when I got the car)
Old 04-16-2002, 09:52 AM   #6
drudis

When you hear a loud click, then you just jumped the solenoid, and now have power on the output side. Verify this with a test light (bulb). Make sure you get power out of solenoid.

THen make sure you got (MORE THAN ONE) good grounds on the motor. Starter _should_ work then.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 10:00 AM   #7
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Bopper,

Do you have the hi torque mini starter, or the fat stocker? If unsure, then tell me if there are 1 or 2 wires connected to your starter?

Do you have a multimeter?
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:22 PM   #8
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Starter types...

I have the FMS high-torque mini and it has a s-load of connections.
Specifically, it has three, I only use the small auxiliary solenoid ground 12 guage on the starter itself and the main 8 guage neg connection. It goes to the neg terminal on the relay.

The OEM starter only has one neg connection. The blade is flimsy at best and the starter conducts heat too easily. The connection from the starter also goes directly to the negative terminal on the relay.
The negative ground from your battery (I upgraded to a 6 guage gold plated post connector($10)) goes to the lower front drivers side of the block just above the oil pan, right behind the balancer.
I put an additional 8 guage ground to my air compressor mounting bracket from the neg terminal due to the HO alternator.
That is entirely optional.
All connections on your relay should go to the positive side, except the starter line. The small push in connector 18 guage wire is your fuel pump, it connects to the "I" auxiliary post on your relay.
That's it.
Confused?
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 04:45 PM   #9
Big Bopper
Registered Member

I thought the little post in the relay was the ignition signal wire?? Maybe I have that hooked up wrong? But there is only one wire that has that push on connector?......I tried starting it again and got nothing, just fuel pump noises,fuel pump relay clicking and starter relay clicking.When I take the wire that goes directly to the starter and put it to the positive terminal is sparks like a bastard!!! The starter is new never been used and the battery is also new just picked it up this morning (had new battery tested at store) I konw it's supposed to spark but not as bad as it is!

Any Ideas? Anyone?
Old 04-17-2002, 06:04 PM   #10
PKRWUD

Just try jumping the two big posts on the relay (solenoid) with screwdrivers. It will spark, so be prepared, but remember that it's only 12 volts, and can't hurt you. If that works, replace the solenoid. If that fails to turn the starter, then the starter is bad. The fact that it sparks tells you the starter is grounded.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:08 PM   #11
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Thanks for all your help guys! I finally figured out what was going on! The power line that comes from the starter that goes around the front of the oil pan,... uno the one that is bolted to each side of the block....Somehow the metal braket shed it's rubber insulation (I probally pulled on it when I was pulling the motor) and was grounding it's self from the block!!!
Do you guys think I cooked any important wires,...my alt light does not come on now when you turn the ign. on??? Is that major?

Thanks for all your help again!
Big Bopper.