MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-2002, 06:13 PM   #1
Mustang Cain

Question 95 GT miss fire at idle

Im wondering if anyone knows what would cause my 95 GT to miss fire at idle. I just got this car a week ago monday and i love it except for that dang miss. Ive put Sea Foam and some other type of cleaner in the fuel because i supected carboned up valves from the previous owner leaving the car in the garage and starting it for 15 minutes and shutting it off and never driving it. It only has 68000 miles on it and a new set of MSD wires and plugs. Im going to put a new fuel filter on tommorw. The only reason im worrying about it is because its a stick and some of the lights around town are long. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:10 PM   #2
PKRWUD

I would suspect the IAC valve needs to be cleaned out. have you run any tests for codes? A KOEO and KOER self test might tell you where the problem lies. i would still clean the IAC first.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 08:30 PM   #3
Mustang Cain

No i havent had a chance to yet. Im taking the car into my auto class tommorow to change the oil (someone really tightend the drain plugs) so i figure ill throw the Snapon scanner on it while im there. How can i clean the IAC. Im used to non MAF controlled vehicles and all i know is to shoot hogwash in the TB while the car is running but i know i cant do that with the MAF. Should i just dump alittle seafoam or horwash in there and start the car?
Old 02-20-2002, 09:05 PM   #4
PKRWUD

No. What you should do is ask your instructor to explain the importance of a clean MAF wire, and use your car as an example. College auto classes rock!! I loved all of the ones I took. As far as the IAC, MAF has no bearing. it needs to be removed to be cleaned with both MAF and SD engines. It's held on the TB with two bolts. Be careful removing it, because the gasket tears easily. You really should replace the gasket anyway. I clean mine with CRC Brakleen (red can), and a tooth brush. Remove the two screws that hold the solenoid to the valve, and separate them while cleaning. This will allow better cleaning. When finished, blow it out with compressed air, and apply a drop of oil to the solenoid tip (where it contacts the valve itself). Reinstall. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Turn on the headlight switch for 10 minutes to make sure that any capacitors have drained. Reconnect the battery, and go through the relearn process for the ECM.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-21-2002, 05:14 PM   #5
Mustang Cain

I checked the codes and theres nothing. I pretty much understand what you are talking about right up to the point of the relearn process. I havent got a clue as how to do that on this car. i dont have a repair manual on this car yet. Im kinda thinking i may have messed up the MAF because i cleaned the K&N air filter thats in it and let it sit overnight but it was still damp and i think some of the oil got sucked out of it. I guess until i figure out how to relearn the computer ill just spray some hogwash in the TB and start it up. Can i use brake clean on the MAF? Can i just disconnect it spray it and blow it with some compressed air?

P.S. this is just a high shcool auto course with a teacher that gives us notes, homework, and then turns us "loose" on jobs and if we ask question we get yelled at. If we mess up he blaims it on us and not the fact that he didnt explain proper procedure as i expected he would when i first got into this class. i guess ill have to wait for a real instructor when i get in Universal Technical Institute.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:33 AM   #6
PKRWUD

Okay, first, the relearn process. There are many ways reported to do it, but what has always worked best for me, is right after reconnecting the battery, start the engine and let it idle for 1 minute. Shut it off for 10 seconds. restart it, and turn on every load you can(a/c w/fan on high, high beam headlights, etc.), and run it like this for 1 minute. Shut it off, turn all the loads off. Wait ten seconds. Restart, and drive it hard around the block for 5-10 minutes, come back and shut it off. Wait 10 seconds. Restart and observe idle. If idle is smooth, and within recommended limits, that's it. If not, inspect the air intake for vacuum leaks.

K&N oil and MAF wires don't really like each other very much. The MAF wire makes fun of the filter oil's sister, and the oil get's pissed, and sprays himself all over the wire. While they're fighting, your car runs like crap. In the future, go easy on the oil. For now, reclean the filter if it's "damp". Then, clean the MAF wire with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. be gentle.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-22-2002, 05:40 PM   #7
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Did the car misfire before the MSD wires and plugs? maybe one of the wires isn't on all the way, or one of the plugs is gapped incorrectly (forgot to gap one). Good luck,

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 12:43 AM   #8
Mustang Cain

PKRWUD Im starting to think that the IAC isnt the problem because for one the car kinda hard to start in the past week so in thinking that it was the IAC I pressed on the gas alittle to see if it would start easier but it didnt work. When i hold that RPMs around 1500 in neutral i can feel the miss still. I think i might tell my parents that the MAF is screwed just so i can get a bigger better one and a cold air intake while im at it. Smart? As for 84LX89GT's idea i didnt put the wires on they were there when i got the car. I did how ever find the back right plug wire was barely hanging on and the PCV valve was hangn outside its grommet. I checked all the others and they are tight. Im going to replace the fuel filter in hoping its just a fuel shortage caused by a plugged filter. Ever since i started putting fuel system cleaners in ive noticed a slight hesitation so im guessing the cleaners dissloged something and it clogged the filter. Ill let you know how it turns out.