MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-31-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
Ranger_kill
Registered Member

Default How much trouble have i gotten in??

Ok, First off hello everyone.

Here is the deal i had an 87, but sold it due to my son being born. 3years later i get this longing in my gut for any F body.
I start shopping around and find an 89 that has been dogged out. Guy wants 1500 dollars i tell him 700 or nothing. He say my wife has decided to keep it, so I leave. He chases me down at the local pizza joint and says when can you have the money. I told him i have it now so i buy it and go get it. I knew the motor was in seriuos trouble so i pull it the first wekend then tear it down. Cracked head and block. Motor hunting time.

Ok, I find an 89 police interceptor motor for free so i take it tear it down, and it is clean as a baby bottom, no wear anywhere like the motor was never run or something. I start doing some research and come to find out the car was totaled with less then 300 miles on it. The motor has been bored over .040. but with e6 heads on it, so i go on a head hunt. Local mechinic needs some computer work done so while i am there i ask him if he has any 5.0 heads he says no but I have some heads form a cobra. I asked how much he said how much to fix this computer i said nothing he said ok there yours hehehe. (If my boss knew i would have no job). Anyway he gives me the whole upper half of the cobra cam, heads, intake, lifters, roller rockers the works, but no TB or Mass.

Now that i have bored you to death, I have 2 questions.

1.) Can i use the standard TB from a 89 gt on a 95 cobra intake just for a short period of time??

2.) Do I need to change any of the electrical ie computer??

3.) I know the heads are GT-40, but not sure if they are GT-40 or GT-40 P I have looked everywhere but all i can find on the heads it GT not the GTP some say i should see?

Thanks guys sorry for the long *** post

Ranger_kill
8rice
Ranger_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:28 PM   #2
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

1) You can probably use the sucky stock TB, should work ok.

2) As long as you are using your stock Mass air, and stock injectors, or at least if the ones that came with the car were matching calibrations it shoud be ok. The combo will probably want larger injectors, but shoud get by with the 19# stockers.

The Cobra used 24# injectors and a different computer and MAF from the factory, the computer was actually re-calibrated not the MAF like we do now.

You can use your computer with 24# injectors as long as you swap in a re-calibrated MAF.

A stock 95 Cobra used regular GT-40 Iron heads. Those are better than the old E-7's and def better that the E-6's but not as good as the GT-40P which have improved combustion chambers and better flow #'s All in all a killer score for your motor build.

One thought, the 89 "police interceptor" motor was a 302 right!!!
If it's a 351 like most of the 89 Crown Vics got youill need all the goodies needed to convert the cobra motor to a 351, the lightning lower intake, longer pushrods etc.... Plus any Crown Vic motor will not be an HO and needs to be converted to a roller motor. But I suspect this came from a 89 Special Duty Mustang Notch, so no problems there.

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
Nixon1
Registered Member

Default Re: How much trouble have i gotten in??

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranger_kill
Ok, First off hello everyone.

Here is the deal i had an 87, but sold it due to my son being born. 3years later i get this longing in my gut for any F body.
You should watch the abbreviations! F-bodies are Firebirds and Camaros.. I'm an F-Body enthusiast so I saw that and was like 'which message board am I on???'

Current stats: NEW 302 short block, E-303 cam (@.050, 220/220, .498/.498, 110 degrees), 1.6 roller rockers, Performer RPM heads (aluminum, 1.9/1.6, 60cc chambers), Cobra intake, Granatelli 75mm MAF, Billet AFPR, Equal-Length Shorty Headers, Off-Road X Pipe, Flowmasters, 4.10 POSI

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Nixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote