MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-26-2002, 02:18 PM   #1
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Default Running too hot!!

Since I put the new parts on the car (heads, intake, injectors, AFPR, etc.), it's been running way too hot. It doesn't overheat, but it comes very close!! I bought a bigger radiator from the same guy that I got the heads from (kept his car cool with them), and that still didn't seem to make much of a difference compared to the smaller 3 core I had before. This radiator only has about 500 miles on it. The 160 stat that I have tested fine on the stove. I'm not sure what else to do. The waterpump I have isn't exactly new, but it's not really old either (almost a year old), and I don't hear any noises from it. Can it still be worn out even though I can't hear the bearings? If so, would a high volume water pump be a wise choice, or should a stock replacement work? Any suggestions?
Dave

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 05:46 PM   #2
89 ATI
Registered Member

I once put a thermostat in backwards and caused the car to get warm. A lean running engine will cause it to get warm too. Those are my guesses.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now" Elwood Blues
89 ATI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 05:49 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Cooling it

Sounds like you're about ready for an electric fan set-up here, since the bigger radiator didn't do it, which is a bit puzzling if it's a bigger 3-row radiator. I assume your fan shroud is in place and you have no leaks or loss of pressure from a bad cap.

You could try a new water pump first, just to be certain. If you do go that route get a new (not a rebuilt) pump and see what happens. If it doesn't do it, think about an electric fan.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 06:45 PM   #4
DRASTiK
Registered Member

well as far as the thermostat goes, it is in correctly. The waterpump is my next task, however I am doubtful that it will fix the problem. I have no leaks that I can find. When I checked the water level in the radiator today, it had gone down about an inch in two weeks. I'm going to acredit that to burping the rest of the system. I filled it up the rest of the way today and we'll see how it goes. There's absolutely nothing in my overflow bottle at all. I don't have the stock overflow setup. Just a bottle to catch fluid, not return it. I really hope there's another solution to this other than spending the cash for a good electric fan setup. The car isn't running rich according to the plugs.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:05 PM   #5
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Well I am shooting in the dark here but when you put your Kower Intake gasket did you Cut the cool Page larger???? What Intake gasket do you have... you want the car to run a bit rich.. leaning out will make it heat up. as was said.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 08:27 PM   #6
juiceman
Registered Member

alot of things will cause a motor to run hot. lean, timing, etc. i would say put a 180 thermostat in. it will allow the water to sit a little longer helping the heat exchange. also, what is hot? is the motor running at 240?
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 12:24 AM   #7
DRASTiK
Registered Member

To answer the above questions, yes it's running around 230-240 when I'm not on the highway. When I'm on the highway running a constant high speed, then it stays around 185. The car heats up very quickly and unless I'm moving (highway), then it keeps climbing until it reaches the 230 area, then it stays put. I haven't actually had it overheat on me yet, but it still scares the crap outta me and it's just a lot hotter than I want it. I did cut out the gaskets to match the cooling passages. I'm using fpp-1250 lower intake gaskets. I'll give the 180 a try along with the new waterpump. For some reason I just have one of those gut feelings that my problem won't be fixed there. Would a high flow waterpump be more wise to buy, than a factory replacement? Budget is a big issue here (just had a baby on the 20th. See thread in Lounge.)
Dave
Old 03-27-2002, 01:23 AM   #8
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

You should be able to find a decent high flowing water pump for a decent price. I picked up just a plain cast high flow pump and my car runs fairly cool with the 160 stat. And going to an electric fan didnt seem to make any big difference to me for temps. But i would say try to find a cast water pump. I think mine was under 100cdn and it works great. By the way i still have a stock rad right now but will soon be ditched.
RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 01:42 AM   #9
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Fan clutch?

I may be retarded, but do fan clutches go bad? Maybe the fan is just freewheeling?
Old 03-27-2002, 01:48 AM   #10
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

No more retarded than I am probably...

I have had a couple of fan clutches go bad on me back in the day. I now run an flexalite m-150 in the stock shroud w/ a BeCool, moroso washer instead of thermostat, and will be running a meziere elec pump soon...(which is replacing an edelbrock hiflow if anyone is interested in it, Drastik?)

Best of luck to ya

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:07 AM   #11
Mustanguy

Quote:
The 160 stat that I have tested fine on the stove.
Take that thermostat out and throw it across the street,then buy yourself a 180 stat

Seriously though,the 160 thermostat basically stays open all the time and never keeps your coolant in the radiator long enough to cool down.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:42 AM   #12
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Quote:
Take that thermostat out and throw it across the street,then buy yourself a 180 stat
Good idea on how to discard the old stat. I think I'll do that. I already have a heavy duty 180 ready to be put in later today.

Quote:
Maybe the fan is just freewheeling?
As a matter of fact, my clutch fan does the opposite. It's very tough to move the fan when the motor isn't running. I would replace it, but I figure that it's basically like running a flex fan, so until I fix the cooling problem, I'll leave it as is.

Quote:
moroso washer instead of thermostat, and will be running a meziere elec pump soon...(which is replacing an edelbrock hiflow if anyone is interested in it, Drastik?)
I was thinking of the restrictor instead of the stat also, but most people have advised me not to go that route. How old is the Edelbrock? I may just be interrested in it.

One quick question about high flow water pumps. If the pump is flowing water faster, won't that have the same effect as the 160 thermostat? Water running through the system too fast to cool down? Or am I missing something? Please explain.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:43 AM   #13
Mustanguy

Default Just re-read your post--

ok,on the highway your temps are fine,it's when your cruising around in town,then the temp starts to rise.

is your stock fan operating like it should? as your not getting enough airflow to the radiator while doing in town driving,if your still using the original fan assembly,they do wear out over time
Old 03-27-2002, 04:48 AM   #14
DRASTiK
Registered Member

well basically it's running like a clutchless fan. It spins ALL THE TIME with the pulley. The clutch is all but siezed up.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:53 AM   #15
Mustanguy

Quote:
The clutch is all but siezed up
Yup,sounds like it's been a long life for it already,

you know anyone who could swap their stock fan out so you could install it and then see how things run temp-wise?
Old 03-27-2002, 11:23 AM   #16
DRASTiK
Registered Member

unfortunately there aren't too many fox's around here anymore, just newer ones. I'd be hard pressed to find one.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
Old 03-27-2002, 07:10 PM   #17
juiceman
Registered Member

well, try the thermostat. going with a high flow pump may not help. yes, by installing a high flow pump you increase water speed therefor giving the water less time to cool the engine. there are instances where a high flow does help but yours does not seem the case. here are some questions for you, do you have the shroud on the motor? do you have pulleys? have you messed with timing alot? have you bypassed any of your acc. all of these are common and i have seen it time and again cause excessive heat.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:43 PM   #18
DRASTiK
Registered Member

well I installed an Edelbrock Hi flow water pump and a 180 stat. I haven't driven it yet because I had to stop and come to school (that's where I am writing this). Hopefully these things will help my problem.

To answer the last questions, The only pulley that's not stock is the crank pulley. I don't have anything bypassed, but the smog pump is removed. I do have the shroud in place and the timing is at 14.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:48 PM   #19
juiceman
Registered Member

well, that may help you out. if you got the race crank pulley it will slow down the pump and a high flow may help. good luck
Old 03-27-2002, 11:17 PM   #20
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
Sounds like you're about ready for an electric fan set-up here
I will 2nd that. A good electric fan will help keep you cool. Definately a good mod.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote