MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-09-2001, 12:37 PM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Post Burnout etiquette

On my way to work down some of the side roads people leave their "mark" by way of a long swirly burnout. I have tried and tried to leave a response but my tires are out of ink I guess.

What tires do you guys use to leave the nice long black lines and how are you getting the cars to do them so nicely? Should I go find a set of hard radials to get the job done? Anyone have any pics of some of their "marks"?

The best I have gotten so far is on a piece of road where they have patched it with tar and it's already black, but it was a 2nd gear strip from a 30mph roll and it turned out really sweet.

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 01:24 PM   #2
mustang17
Registered Member

I always side step the gas and brake from a stop. Start in 2nd gear. Drop the clutch at 4000 RPM. Let the brake up a bit, but not completely, and womp on the throtle. Turn the wheel as you please. Tons of smoke and rubber!

I'd try your old tires first.

------------------
1995 GT Black- Edelbrock 6037's,Intake,Edelbrock cam,70mm TB,75mm pro-m,Taylor wires, pulleys,Equal length headers,K&N filter
Flowmaster,3.73's, Eibach pro rate springs
lower control arms Centerforce clutch
New motor in the works!
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 05:56 PM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

I had a friend that work at a tire store and he could get any of the used tires and we'd go smoke them till they would blow. one time we got a good set with some tread still on and we went to the local self service car wash and filled it with smoke!!

------------------
93-LX: 5 Speed, Flow's with H-Pipe, 3.73's Sub's and K&N.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 06:00 PM   #4
Try Me
Registered Member

Carwash?
I would pay to see something like that!

Then again.. hey LIZARD KING, let's try it
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 10:41 PM   #5
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Cool

Leaving our tire's "signature" by school is pretty popular by many students. Like ,backing up right in front of the schools main door and leaving marks is to show how much of a rebel you are. I have left the biggest so far, about a 50 foot one where I did a burnout slowly letting off the brake but holding it. I felt kinda bad after that cause' of how I treat my tires. Does anyone feel like that? I doubt it, but I feel kinda bad after leaving some "mad" rubber, then looking at my BF Goodrich tires, Oh well, I'm more popular and rebelishious for doing it!

------------------
1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter V8, Black
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 10:42 PM   #6
WADS56
gear banger

For a while there was a spot where people would try to see who could leave the longest patch. I was driving by one day and someone left a huge one. So I put on a set of radials, set the line lock, put it in 3rd gear, and let it go. Needless to say I had the longest mark and a trashed set of tires. I wonder if the tradition will go on this year?

------------------
347 W/ A-trim 6#'s, Canfield heads, out of the box Systemax II intake, solid roller cam. 11.1 @123mph

93lx 5.0 daily driver
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 12:09 AM   #7
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I need to get a line lock myself. I can do the clutch to brake shuffle but I think I'd have more fun with a line lock. Where can I get a good one and how hard are they to setup?

The reason I was wondering about what tires you guys use for the best burnouts is because my Dunlops will leave rubber, but it's like they leave little balls of rubber instead of melting into the pavement. I want something that'll leave some long, dark, black streaks down the road! I figure a hard compound would be best for that so who's using what?

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 12:19 AM   #8
WADS56
gear banger

I got my line lock from summit. Not sure what one, but is was like 35 bucks cheaper then the hurst and b&m. All you need to install it is a flaring tool for the lines. After you get it installed you have to bleed the front brakes. It is easy with one person when you have a line lock because you pump the breaks till you get pressure, turn on the line lock, then relese the bleeder on the calipers.
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 03:54 AM   #9
Token Right Guy
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Ahhh, I love the smell of tire smoke! I used to have a Toyota Celica with a 302 & 4 speed in it, & I'd go to empty parking lots & try to write my name with my back tires (never was able to, but great fun anyway).
I also used to own a '73 Matador, police special (like on Adam 12). Ugly? Of course. But it would do amazing smoky burnouts...on 3 separate occasions, they actually rolled out the fire dept...
Great topic!
Token Right Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:42 AM   #10
white00GT
Registered Member

I think the best burn out that I have ever done was with my roommate in my car.

We were leaving school and I desided to hit my line loc and give my 555R's a good once over.

I dropped it into 2nd and let the smoke fly. I didn't think I burned out that bad, but as I was leaving the parking lot all this cops started coming from no where.

Ever single cop had there lights on and they were halling balz. I watch about 5 cops turn down the road and into the parking lot that I had just come from.

After I got back from the mall I returned back to the parking lot to park when I noticed these two Ellasious black marks about 50-60ft long. My roommate and I started laughing our Arses off.

When I got back to my room I was talking to one of my friends who saw it. He said that right after I left like 7 Columbia city cops showed up and were trying to find out who had done it.

It turnes out that I smoke out 2 city blocks and the cops weren't to happy about it. Now that was fun.

------------------
2000 Mustang GT
white00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 07:26 PM   #11
dinomite
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by 2FastLX:
The reason I was wondering about what tires you guys use for the best burnouts is because my Dunlops will leave rubber, but it's like they leave little balls of rubber instead of melting into the pavement. I want something that'll leave some long, dark, black streaks down the road! I figure a hard compound would be best for that so who's using what?

I have cheap azz dunlops too, and last week at the drag stip it covered the rear of my car (behind the tires, duh) with those little balls. Didn't do anything bad and was easy to get off but weird, noone else had that, i guess its a dunlop thing.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 08:22 PM   #12
13sec95vert
Registered Member

i have really soft and pretty wide tires that grip really good and when i burn them out it never makes a sound it just slides and when i do it they never leave marks. when they do leave marks its just a kind of powder that goes away in a couple of days

------------------
1995 gt convertible:
3.55 gears, underdrive pulleys, cobra intake , fenderwell cold air, 65mm throttle body, 75mm mass air meter, off-road h pipe, borla cat back, custom diablo chip, 155lph fuel pump lentech aode street terminator w/ 10" converter stalls at 2800 rpms, yokohama a520(drag radials) 275s
13sec95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 10:16 PM   #13
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs up

I think the slower you move forward with the tires spinning at a high rpm make the burnouts darker and last longer. Like doing a power brake and slowly moving forward would probably yield the best results!! Go test this theory and send us pics, or better yet, video!!!!!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 01:00 AM   #14
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I would say soft compound makes best marks, but they are gonna grip better, so it will be harder to keep your car in one spot, unless you got lots of power and a line lock.

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote