MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-01-2001, 04:26 PM   #1
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Talking A "how to" for idiots....

Today I was out and about, and decided to stop at this "High Performance" shop and see what was going on. I have driven by this place for some time wondering what they offered. The sign outside reads, " If you can dream it, we can build it."

That was to get you somewhat familiar with this shop. Now for the good stuff.

I stopped in and looked around and walked into the shop area. There, with the hood off, radiator pulled, and all accessories removed was a mid-80's Bronco. Figuring that it was in for a rebuild, I asked what was wrong with it. The guy working on told me that it was getting a set of shorty headers.

Huh??

Since when do you have to remove a engine to install a set of headers? I asked him why he had taken all the aforementioned items out, and he replied so that he could work unobstructed.
Is it just me, or does a full size bronco have enough room to install headers, let alone anything else?

Guess I really need to open a shop. I could make a fortune doing stupid things for the people that know nothing about performance. then again I could go bankrupt for doing things the right way, and the most cost effective way.

Anyway, later.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 05:01 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

'High-Performance shops can be a great deal or a total rip-off; you have to be careful and it helps - a lot - to know what you're talking about before you O.K. any job.

If you're unfamiliar with car repair, a shifty 'Performance' shop can screw you royally with huge labor overcharges and tell you it's because they do 'speciality' work.

I've seen $125. hour performance shops that did really beautiful work in a pristine environment with the best of everything, and they backed up the work. Good people, but expensive.

I've also seen $60. hour Performance shops that were a little dirty, not in the good part of town and the mechanics were rough around the edges but did equally excellent work because they were racers and knew what worked and what didn't. I like these guys.

Then, there are the thieves who don't know squat, talk a ton of BS and throw numbers around, then keep your car for a month, drive it like a rental, do half-arsed work, screw up your car royally and charge you a fortune to do it. When you complain, they often say 'sue me' and go out of business the next month. We've had some rather sad stories about places like this right here on the forums at Mustang Works.

'Performance Shop' doesn't mean much.
I always recommend you ask other guys with fast cars who does their work (if they don't do it themselves) and when you find a good shop, be respectful to the people who will work on your car, buy them a cup of coffee and give them - not the owner - a tip when they deliver your car (unless it's a one-man shop, of course).

Know what's going to be done, agree on a parts & labor price, have them call you for approval if it goes much over or if a problem comes up that no one anticipated and pay the bill with a smile.

Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 01:10 AM   #3
myred86gt
Registered Member

Is there any one reputable in CT mr5.0?
myred86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 09:23 AM   #4
73 Mustang Boy
Registered Member

My dad has a 78 Bronco with a 351M in it. When we instaled the headers on it we had to lift the motor all but completely out. The were full legnth headers though. Alot of shops will rip you off though. We have one in town that is run by a bunch of teenagers (18-25) that dont know anything. One of the guys that runs the place had rich parents that built him the shop got him started. I would give anything to have their shop instead of working out of my basement.
73 Mustang Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 10:10 AM   #5
PKRWUD

How do you get your car down the stairs?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 01:26 PM   #6
bada$$lx

Cool

Hey red86gt.....where in CT are you? Anywhere near Danbury? I' close by if you are. I recommend Anthony Briante (I'm sure you've seen his name around - he drives the "Hitman" who rips off 7 second 1/4's), he's down in Thornwood (Westchester County).

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles;FMS 3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside weld-on subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini 3" turbo hood;A/C delete;gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS custom chip;Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat intake (12.299 @ 113mph w/ a 1.78 60')
....soon to be b
Old 10-07-2001, 01:43 AM   #7
myred86gt
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hi Bada$$lx, I'm in Danbury. Thanks for the tip! Sounds like this guy's got one serious
ride! Yours don't sound half bad either!
myred86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 02:29 AM   #8
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Talking

good one chris, i won't even go there iv'e had enough abuse to last me till christmas see ya.
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote