MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-29-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
mark sweetser
96GREENGT

Default power steering question

my '87 LX has the typical, classic Ford power steering whine. My pump leaks a few ounces everyday. Should I get the rebuilt kit or spring for a new one? Any tips? Will this swap clear up the whine by itself, or do I need to do anything else? thanx
-'96 GTS Deep Forest Green Metallic- 8#Powerdyne,Bassani Cat-X,2 chamber Flows, FMS alum. DS,Kenne Brown subframes,Pro 5.0 short throw,FRPP 3.73's,Accufab Plenum/75mm TB,11# blower pulley,Bassani mid headers,Eibach 1.5" springs,17" Cobra R's w/ 275/40zr-17 g-force kd's,Centerforce Dual Friction
-'87 Black LX 5.0
BBK shorties&Cat-X,2 chamber Flows,MSD ign,stock 3.08's,MGW short-throw,BBK cold-air,King Cobra clutch,235/55-17(F)&255/50-17(R) Kumho Ecsta's on 95 Cobra R 4-lugs
mark sweetser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
jalangst
Registered Member

Default Re: power steering question

Resurrecting this old threat cause I need the same advice. I have to put power steering fluid in my car like ever third time I drive it. Should I just take it off and rebuilt it or just spend the $60 on a remanufactured one from an auto parts store?
jalangst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Scrapla
Registered Member

I would just replace it, I had the same problem when I got my car and I spent more time and agervation trying to fix my bad pump and in the end I had to replace it anyway. Just my 2cents

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
mark sweetser
96GREENGT

hey jalangst, i finally went ahead and swapped my ps pump. cost was 60 bucks for the reman w/ reservoir, like you said. get it w/ the black reservoir so it will match the newer looking pump...or if your reservoir is that ugly tanish color. you're gonna need to take the pump's pulley off the shaft to get the pump out of the back of the housing. use a ps pump pulley puller from auto zone or whatever (cost to loan was $40, which they will reemburse when you return it). there should be two tools in the puller kit. the one w/ several (more than 2) pieces is used for removal of the pulley only. just slip the two collar looking deals (they are in the shape of a half of a circle) together over the front lip of the pulley. DO NOT use the two piece tool to remove the pulley like i did.... or you may break the damn thing like i did. nothing a dremel and some spray paint can't help to have autozone be non-the-wiser . this 2 piece tool is used for install of pulley only. i'm getting carried away, if you need any more tips, reply/ IM me, or whatever. good luck!
-'96 GTS Deep Forest Green Metallic- 8#Powerdyne,Bassani Cat-X,2 chamber Flows, FMS alum. DS,Kenne Brown subframes,Pro 5.0 short throw,FRPP 3.73's,Accufab Plenum/75mm TB,11# blower pulley,Bassani mid headers,Eibach 1.5" springs,17" Cobra R's w/ 275/40zr-17 g-force kd's,Centerforce Dual Friction
-'87 Black LX 5.0
BBK shorties&Cat-X,2 chamber Flows,MSD ign,stock 3.08's,MGW short-throw,BBK cold-air,King Cobra clutch,235/55-17(F)&255/50-17(R) Kumho Ecsta's on 95 Cobra R 4-lugs
mark sweetser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
jalangst
Registered Member

Ok, sounds like I'll need to just get a new power steering pump. So, all I need is the pulley remover and I'm good to go? I'm glad you told me that or I probably would have been struggling with it. I'll probably get around to week after next. Get my A/C changed over to r-134a and get my 3.73 put in the back. Do it all at once. Thanks for the tips.
jalangst is offline   Reply With Quote