MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-08-2001, 01:52 AM   #1
stng87
Registered Member

Post why turning over so much?

This isnt really that big of a problem but it is annoying. I couldnt get the car started one night so i decited iit was the fuel pump. Installed a 155 lph and it guns fine for 2 days then it too goes. So I call summitt and they say its likley a bad pump amd sent me another. I get it in and its great except it now takes around 3-5 secs of turning over to start. Always starts though just takes a lot longer. I can hear the pump priming fine. Any thoughts?

------------------
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, adj. FPR, Tremec t-5z, 65mm TB, 4.10's, adj cable, 155lph fuel pump, Ram clutch kit,
275-60-15 BFG TA's on Welds, Hurts shifter,Former AOD Semper Fi
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 10:34 AM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

A bad PCV valve will cause a long start. A bad FPR will also cause a long start. What brand of FPR do you have? Have you ever run injector cleaner or octane boost with that FPR installed? If you have, check that fuel isn't squirting out of the vacuum port when you turn the key on.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 06:34 AM   #3
PKRWUD

I would also suggest that you check the line pressure and see how fast it bleeds down after you turn the key off.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 11:51 AM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

Most adjustable fuel pressure regulators will not hold pressure after the car shuts down. They're built differently than the stock FPR. I've had both a Paxton and BBK and they leak down almost immediately.

I put a stock replacement on when I found out that the Paxton was ruined from alcohol and it would not leak down, so I know it wasn't leaking down from the fuel pump side.

It may be that cars with these type of FPRs just take longer to start since they don't have stored fuel pressure like the stock regulators do. 3-5 seconds seems awfully long. I know my car doesn't take that long to start. 1 sec at most. But, since this seems to be a new issue, I would suspect a problem. Let us know what you find out.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible

[This message has been edited by jimberg (edited 07-09-2001).]
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 10:44 PM   #5
jpumpkinn
Registered Member

I don't really know why that happens? My car does that also? Would appreciate it if you would let me know what you figure out.

------------------
Red 90 5.0, 17in Cobra Wheels, Saleen Wing, Cobra Ground Effects, K&N intake, Dual Flowmaster, Hurst Shifter
jpumpkinn is offline   Reply With Quote