MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2002, 12:50 AM   #1
Godslayer
Registered Member

Default Need help with starting problem....

Hey guys, I need help with a starting problem. This is actually for my 91 Cougar but it has the HO 302.

Background info:
When I turn the key I get nothing. No clicks, etc. In the run postion everything works, radio, dash lights, etc. When you move it all the way to the start position, there is nothing, no clicks or noises. The battery is fully charged. I tested the starter solenoid according to my haynes manual and it is functional. I replaced the ignition switch with a known good one which did not solve the problem.

Ideas:
There are three terminals on the s solenoid. The two big ones and a small one that a push on connector connects to, from the ignition switch. If I run 12 volts to the small ignition terminal, per the haynes manual, the car starts fine (solenoid test). So I checked the voltage coming through the wire that connects to the push on terminal. In the run position I have 4.6 volts, when you move the ignition switch to start it stays at 4.6 volts. I would believe that there should be 12 volts in the start position.

I am unable to find any voltage values, for that wire. Tomorrow I will go to Ford and try to get these values. I will also replace the solenoid with another.

Now that I think about it, the small push on wire (ignition) is only about 10G so I couldn't imagine a full 12 volts going through it. Although it's possible becuase it's only carrying that much current for a very short time.

Ideas encouraged and welcome. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:29 AM   #2
WADS56
gear banger

I went threw this on both of my mustangs. On my 79 I have a "painless" control box that runs all my electrical stuff and starter. It is a 12v termanal from the box and I ran it to the solenoid. I works great.

On my 93 I had the same problem as you. I could not find where the wire was cut or grounding out so I made a new one. I took apart the steering colum and found the starter wire, made sure the conection was good from the key, cut the wire and ran a new one. It also worked good. I'm sure there is a better way to do it but at the time it seemed like a good idea.
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:03 PM   #3
PKRWUD

That wire should have battery voltage (whatever the voltage is at the battery) when the ignition switch is in the Start position. If it doesn't, you need to trace the wire and find out why it doesn't. Sorry I don't have an easier solution, but I'm afraid that's the simplest answer.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 10:55 PM   #4
gtsr515
Registered Member

Make sure the battery is grounded, it should have a smaller gauge wire along with negative, that needs a good ground, also make sure the new solenoid is grounded as well, I think thats your prob.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:59 PM   #5
Godslayer
Registered Member

Default thanks...

Thanks for the ideas. I finally figured it out. Apparently the dealer installed a starter cutout switch under the dash. There is a bad connection at tha place where they put their key/card in to disarm it.

Thanks for the help.

Bob