MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2002, 08:43 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Front Fender

The left front fender on my '67 has a few wrinkles and I am considering ordering a reproduction fender from Texas Mustang Parts before I get my toy repainted. Any problems getting these things to fit or should I go for it? Thanx. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:52 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Elvis, I've had problems with each repro body part that I've used. Granted, my experience is limited to rear valance and hood. Both of these I had to do body work on to even get them to fit. If I were you, I would buy good a used fender from a reputable Mustang salvage yard for about the same price. You can (I think) get a new fender from Ford for twice as much money or a little more.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 11:24 AM   #3
Kisner
Registered Member

I've ordered front valance, rear valance, deck lid, and inner apron where battery mounts. Have yet to order reproduction sheet metal parts that didn't need some massaging. Advantage is you get new, unrusted, undinged metal but it won't fit like original. You're better off, like Rev says, to get one at the junk yard if you can find one in good shape.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 08:33 PM   #4
diablopony
Registered Member

Not to contradict the more experienced advice here, but I have gone the reproduction route on a front valance and front & rear bumpers. All these body parts fit perfect without any modifications.

I've been getting my parts from Mustang Parts House. I'm not sure that they are better than others, but the prices seem very resonable.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:30 AM   #5
Kisner
Registered Member

Diablopony - do they have a web site or toll-free # to call for a catalog? Always looking for good reproduction parts.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 06:58 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Pony, you are dead right on the bumpers and also on fiberglass Shelby type front valances. I've bought both of these items and they've been good.

Sheet metal for me has been a different story. I don't hold myself out to be an expert, but this is my actual experience. Repro sheet metal has not done well by me.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 10:50 PM   #7
CobraII76
Registered Member

Here is a tip for you on the first gen cars like yours when looking for a used fender check the edge where it mounts to the upper body structure a real ford fender will have square raises on it down the side a Repop fender will usually be triangled. So buying a used fender could still get you some repop sheet metal.Bumpers and chrome parts are usually pretty good my 66 has alot of repop chrome on it due the fact I live in Michigan. The climate here seems to be harsh on chrome and my car is a driver but I do have Ford fenders on it the floors are repop and those had to me massaged no matter where I got them.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:57 PM   #8
diablopony
Registered Member

Mustang Parts House is at www.mustangpartshouse.com. They are local for me, so I've done on-line as well as in person buying from them.

What I do like about them is that they have a very liberal return policy. I've on occasion (maybe more than that) bought the wrong part or one I really didn't need. They either refund or apply to my next purchase without many questions or hassel.

The front valance I bought was sheet metal not fiberglass. I might have just been lucky here, but it fit better than the one I took off.