MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-26-2004, 12:07 AM   #1
Tincan18
Registered Member

Default Cheap Performance

I need help in thinking of performance ideas to do with my 1994 mustang gt. I have a 1500 dollar budget and would like to know if anyone could give me some ideas on what would be the wisest parts to buy for that amount of money. More bang for the buck. So if people could please list some of the best upgrades i could get for that amount of money that would be nice. Thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

gears
headers
h-pipe
cat-back
pulleys
cold-air induction

2800 stall if you've got a auto

shfiter if you've got a 5-speed

and you could always spray it.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I like to build a good platfrom before I go crazy with bolt ons and engine mods.

4.10 gears
2 spare rims
Mickey thompson ET streets
Upper and lower control arms
sub frame connectors

If your car is already set up and you want engine mods with $1,500.00 I would get some aluminum heads and an intake manifold.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
MiracleMax
Registered Member

I would go with a set of unported GT40-P heads (if you can find them), a nice intake that tops out in the 5500 to 6000 rpm range with a matching cam and springs. and a nice high velocity exhaust system. If your into the engine thing.

A set of gears and a bottle if you want more for less and dont want the hassle of the engine stuff.

In plan A if you get the heads bare you can pop in some good valves, get the heads set-up for springs to go with the cam and get yourself some rocker arms, maybe convert it to an adjustible valvetrain (rocker stud conversion with guide plates and a nice set of rocker arms).

GT40P stock valve sizes are pretty small which makes the valve pretty light which means you can run less spring and have a good reving engine. without running monster springs and the attendent wear problems associated with them.

Then there was that article in MM&FF about the hollow valves and behive springs with the SS roller tipped rockers.

All stuff on the cheap.

Right now for about the money you have alloted me and my bro have gathered most of the parts to build a repsectible engine. for about 500 to 700 bucks more you could build a sweet little 302 to plop in there

So if you can spare it I say maybe plan C, and this is assuming you dont go bonkers building a 10,000 rpm 800 hp N/A beast.

Edelbrock 5.0 Intake or the equivalent

GT40 or GT40P iron heads (the latter have a more efficient combustion event) set up with good valves, adjustible valvetrain with matched springs to the cam.

A hydraulic roller cam good for idle to 5500 or 6000 rpm.

A nice shortblock, nothing fancy. Stock crank, stock rods (or maybe like Eagle SIR rods) with a good set of rod bolts. and some good pistons (hypereutectic cast pistons if you want longevity and dont plan of S/Cing or using the bottle)

Small exhaust system, 1-1/2 shorties, 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 X-pipe, 2-1/2 exhuast system preferably using straight through mufflers (this will add to the cost, or just use the old stuff oyu have)

Get a new oil stock pressure/stock volume oil pump, as well as a new water pump (factory or aftermarket) bolt on the cleaned up stuff from your old engine and have some fun.

What you ed up with is a new engine that you swap out for the old for a reasonable price and like 75 or 100 extra HP over stock on tap all the time.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
glenn95gt
Registered Member

Default Re: Cheap Performance

Quote:
Originally posted by Tincan18
I need help in thinking of performance ideas to do with my 1994 mustang gt. I have a 1500 dollar budget and would like to know if anyone could give me some ideas on what would be the wisest parts to buy for that amount of money. More bang for the buck. So if people could please list some of the best upgrades i could get for that amount of money that would be nice. Thanks
do you have any type of mods now?
My Car
glenn95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:47 AM   #6
crazypete
Registered Member

Sure, I'll chime in!

Gears!!!!! 4.10's at least. I do long hauls up to maine and NH and my 3.73's give me 25 mpg. What a difference in acceleration, though! Whipped into your seat, you will be!

Exhaust. Get a BBK x-pipe (offroad) and an american thunder catback and some mac 1 5/8. You'll free up serious HP and get better milage too while you're at it.

pullies. Get the most agressive set. march 1000's are nice. Cheap, effective aaaand...free hp! Better milage plus hp. I have no cooling or charging issues at all with my old worn out alternator and original waterpump.

Finally, this is something noone mentioned yet. The cheapest and most effective way to speed up your car, make it handle better and make it more efficient at the same time: Lighten it up. Pull the plastic interior panels out and rip out all that soundproofing and reinforcement brackets for the back seats and any other clutter you can find. Replace plastic interior and sit in amazement at the way your soundsystem now sounds 3 times better since your body panels are now hollow spaces with speakers in them == chassis subwoofers. Pull the dash. SO MUCH CRAP behind the dash of a mustang. Depends if you like ac and heat. Go nuts. Easy 100 pounds of junk you can pull. If you dont like a/c or yours doesnt work, then you're in luck! A/C system is a great weight reduction pull! Well, you get the idea! A phenomenally easy 40 lb weight drop is if you have a gt, get under the bumper, unbolt and throw away the stupid foglight brackets. Then drill a hole directly into the fiberglass bumper and feed the foglight stem/bolt through and tighten the bolt. I'm surprised ford didnt do it this way to begin with.

Have fun, bro!

Pete
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior

Last edited by crazypete; 04-27-2004 at 12:53 PM..
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:24 PM   #7
7K331
Registered Member

in no particular order but all of the bellow:
gears
slicks
spray& fuel pump
exhaust
=low 12's high 11's

This is what we used to do in the late 80's early 90's before there was all the good stuff. Still easiest & a good HP value.
7K331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:15 AM   #8
tmoss
Registered Member

Lots of good suggestions that add up to more than your $1500. For about $130 including shipping you cant get a ported lower intake that will get you 10-15HP and 15-20 ft-lbs torque. Visit the link in my signature for more info on porting the stock lower intake and power gains. Good luck whatever you choose to do...
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:26 AM   #9
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I dont have $1,500.00 in my entire engine.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:37 AM   #10
crazypete
Registered Member

My car is running a stock shortblock and I get whipped into the seats. Stock hp is plenty enough if you can gear it and put it to the ground. There is 30-40 hp in there held back by stuff like pully drag and exhaust restriction. My parent's corolla, 125 hp 1.8l , I hate to say it, is D@MN fast, turns and stops on a dime. Still cant hold a candle to my pony, but it gets surprisingly far.....

Why?

Cause it only weighs like 2200 pounds. Think about weight reduction. It's practically free and gets wonderful results.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote