MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
ronn
Registered Member

Default tranmission "shudders"

I have a 2000 with a five speed (3.8). When starting out the car "shudders". You have to let the clutch out slow and keep the rpms up so the car won't die. It is somewhat unsafe pulling into traffic. No problems with other gears. Problem is more noticable when the car warms up. I have had others drive the car and they have the same problem, so I know it's not my shifting!

The clutch was replaced about 3 months ago and the tranmission was rebuilt because of a problem with shifting into reverse. The repairs were done by a private mechanic. He's not sure about the shuddering problem. The Ford dealer said that the car needed a new clutch. I don't think they even drove the car nor cared that I had just replaced the clutch.

I don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge, but starting over doesn't seem like the place to start. Nor, can I afford to replace the clutch again! Has anyone had or heard of this kind of problem? What was done to fix the problem? The car is becoming dangerous to drive and I am contemplating cutting my losses and getting a different car. Help!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote