MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-27-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

Default milling e7tes and 1.7 roller rockers.....questions

i need to get more input on the combo i'm planning

87 gt ....speed density ,equal lenth headers, off road h,2 1/2 ex, cold air,and 180 thermostat are my current mods ....also no thermactor pump

i'm planning on getting my heads ported mildly,(want to knock off thermactor bumps and basicly polish off castings) and i'm cleaning up valves and seats.....i want to use origanal valves, installe new stock springs and 1.7 crane roller rockers, also planning a cobra intake or eqivilent.......i might port out ex ports a little but need more input on its effects.......

also..... i was thinking of milling the heads a small amount to bump my compression up .........i was looking for around 9.8 : 1 compression or around there .....about how far can the stock e7ets be milled and what would they need to be milled to come up with 9.8:1

also i need to know is will this cause problems with 1.7 rockers as far as valve clerance .....i'm getting pedistool mount rockers ....will this cause problems with push rod leanth ,can i use shimes or do i need shorter pushrods

i'm basicly just building a mild set up ,i'm looking to stay with speed density ,stock cam and stock bottem end ..........i do want to give it a little more kick so i'm not getting toasted by boosted imports or newer camaros as bad..........but i want to stay on a modest budget and keep my dependablity..........i usually run high test and i might get an adjustable reg. to help tuning

well any input would be helpfull thanks
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 06:35 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

1st off you will absolutely HAVE TO get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I installed my heads and intake a few weeks ago and the idle was everywhere....I ordered my AEI adjustable fuel pressure regulator wich I highly reccomend by the way turned up the pressure to 43 psi and problem solved.

My heads are milled 20 thousanths and I believe the highest you can go is 30 thousanths.

I highly reccomend the Explorer GT-40 intake over the cobra. You can find them cheap and they make just as muck HP.

You wont have any valve clearance problems with milled E7's and 1.7 RR. And yes you can just use shims on your pedistal mount rockers.

The combo I have and the combo you want are nearly identical and let me tell you my car feels way better than it did before the heads and intake swap.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 11:23 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Okay, first of all you need to understand your compression. The advertised compression was 9.1:1, stock, but when calculated in the real world, including the space allowed by the head gasket and the area above the top piston rings, your real compression is closer to 8.8:1. The maximum amount of head surface that can be straight-cut milled without having an alignment problem with the intake is .040". This would decrease your combustion chamber size to roughly 57.8 cc, and would increase your real compression to approximately 9.5:1. Doing such, without any other mods, would add about 25 horsepower. I can't say for certain that 1.7 rockers would still allow the required piston to valve clearance, but I suspect you would be fine. Still, you should always check it with clay before the final assembly.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 04:19 PM   #4
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

Default thanks for the info

i think i'm just going to mill them .020........i'm not as concerned with exactly what the compression will be ...as long as its going to be couple of notches higher ......i was mainly concerned about drivabilty problems and clearance problems

dark 5.0....i'm going to get an abjustable regulater ,i'm not porting out the heads drasticly(maybe a little on the exaust)....so i'm hoping i won't have many idle problems .........i'm going to get the regulater just in case

well thanks guy's .....i'll update on how it goes

btw pkrwud.....my oil psi ........never did fix it ,didn't have any symtoms of oil psi problems so i let it go and it returned to normal all the sudden,been fine since.....who knows ........i have a new pump for it ,just got to get around to pulling the moter to install.....not a big priority ....the old pumps still working pretty good 25 -50 psi
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:38 PM   #5
PKRWUD

Default Re: thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Guy with 87 GT
btw pkrwud.....my oil psi ........never did fix it ,didn't have any symtoms of oil psi problems so i let it go and it returned to normal all the sudden,been fine since.....who knows ........i have a new pump for it ,just got to get around to pulling the moter to install.....not a big priority ....the old pumps still working pretty good 25 -50 psi
Cool. It sounds like what ever it was that was causing the bypass valve to stick loosened up. Keep an eye on it just to be safe, though!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote