MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
Mustvid
Registered Member

Default Idle Air Adjust Spacer?

Anyone out there installed an Idle Air Adjust Spacer that Ford put out to fix the idle problem on Foxbodies? If so, does the throttlebody make a loud sucking noise? Mine does. Car seems to run okay. Took CAI off and the sound is definetly the TB. It was never this loud prior to installing the spacer. Just trying to find out if this is to be expected with the spacer or is my TB not operating correctly or does it need cleaning?
92 Coupe, Wild Strawberry, Black interior, Jasper Perf AOD, 3:73's
Kanaen Hood, Polished Typhoon Intake.March Underdrives, Mac Cold Air, Mac Ceramic Longtube headers, Flowmaster 2 Chamber, Mac Pro Chamber, Black Magic Fan, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Accufab 65mm TB, MSD Coil, MSD6BTM, 1.7r rockers, FMS 9mm wires
Mustvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:18 AM   #2
whitepony
Registered Member

Default spacer

i also have the spacer but it doesn't make a loud sucking noise so maybe try cleaning the tb and there is no leak around the cai? just a thought
- mike
whitepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I have it and mine makes a jet-like sucking sound. If it doesn't I suspect you have both screws closed It is not a smooth flow path and the vacuum will be sucking air through there, so expect noise. I am also running a conical filter just past my MAF so that might have something to do with it (and I'm running a metal C&L inlet elbow).

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:11 PM   #4
jrgoffin
Registered Member

Did you knock any of the plugs out? Sounds like it is sucking air in through one of those holes. If I remember correctly, you leave the plugs in for the 302 and just use the adjustment screws. Mine works well and doesn't make any sucking sounds since the plugs are in.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:58 PM   #5
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I'm pretty sure I left the plugs in. It said to knock one out for a 351 or 460.
Like I said the noise might be amplified due to my inlet tube and air filter being in the engine bay next to the engine.

Mods Pics
Old 01-13-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default Re: Idle Air Adjust Spacer?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustvid
Anyone out there installed an Idle Air Adjust Spacer that Ford put out to fix the idle problem on Foxbodies?
where can I buy this and does it fix the idle problems?
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:44 PM   #7
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

The idle problem it is intended to fix is too little air flow at idle on modified cars. This causes a surging idle which can get quite extreme to the point where the car will stall (mine used to). The IAC valve doesn't offer enough airflow for bigger engines and/or highly modified engines. The bypass valve adds more airflow that is user selectable via adjustment screws - you can set it to get the car to idle, and you won't have to crack the throttle blade to do it.
It can be had at a Ford dealer part # F2PZ-9F939-A
I think I paid around $25.

Mods Pics
Old 01-14-2004, 01:19 PM   #8
mustangman4
Registered Member

Yeah that thing does work it allows more air in for the fuel you are now using at idle. Pulling back fuel at idle will also get rid of the problem. I bought my air adjust spacer for free its just not adjustable. Just drill the same size hole in the throttle plate the same size that is in the stock throttle body. If you have more than a 306 you may want to drill a larger hole.

Brad
Old 01-14-2004, 01:35 PM   #9
Simi Stang

Default how big?

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangman4
Yeah that thing does work it allows more air in for the fuel you are now using at idle. Pulling back fuel at idle will also get rid of the problem. I bought my air adjust spacer for free its just not adjustable. Just drill the same size hole in the throttle plate the same size that is in the stock throttle body. If you have more than a 306 you may want to drill a larger hole.

Brad
So how big is the hole in the butterfly in the stock throttle body? I don't have my stocker anymore. Like the size of a ball point pen tip? My surging idle isn't that bad actually. Not as bad as it used to be...but I'm still thinking of drilling a small hole in my BBK 70mm TB to help out the idle a little.