MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-03-2003, 08:19 PM   #1
RoushRacing6N17
Registered Member

Default A little help for a novice please

I just got my 87 5.0 and it will be my daily driver, but i want to sup it up as much as possible while still keeping it reliable and strong. I don't have the money alot of money to work with, so super chargers and such are out of the question. What I want to know is how would some of yall build this car? What parts would yall start with? This car will be an ongoing project for me, I need to know what is most important and what can wait. Any help will be great!
RoushRacing6N17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:14 PM   #2
RoushRacing6N17
Registered Member

Sorry I screwed up one of my sentences, I wasn't paying attention, lol
Old 11-03-2003, 10:26 PM   #3
White GT
Registered Member

Talking

First!

Do a major tune up of your 87 GT. The Haynes manual and the Equus code reader will be a great help.

Haynes around 10$
and code reader around 20$

Here what the code reader look like

You'll save a lot of money with self diagnosis.

Then spark plug, Cap, Rotor etc.

After think about mods.

removing air silencer, changing the stock mufflers and adding a K&N filter for better flow are some of these.

Hope this help

My GT

My Web Page

On Car domain
White GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:58 AM   #4
stang_racer20
Registered Member

gears, air filter, headers and exhaust is a good start. is it an auto or manual?
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:33 AM   #5
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Real good tuneup - cheap, remove the silencer in the passenger fenderwell - free. Biggest seat of the pants noticeable increase in performane IMO would be gears, gears, gears! In our 88GT we stepped up to 3.73s - man what a difference in the ride!
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:25 AM   #6
RoushRacing6N17
Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys! It is a manual transmission. Ok so lets say that I do go with headers into a offroad h pipe, remove the silencer, get 3.73s, and a k&n air filter. Where would yall go with this project next? I don't have alot of money, but i can afford a little bit more than just this. Once again, thank you for your help.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:44 AM   #7
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

After gears, I would say go for a new set of pulleys, and check into the GT40p heads (these will need special headers, so you might want to work that into your plans)

Just my .02
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:53 PM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Stage 1: Basics

Advance the timing.

Keep the stock headers aftermarket headers dont do much for stock heads that are unported.

Open up the exhaust 2 1/2 X-pipe.

Under drive pulleys, K&N filter, and remove the silencer.

Then some 3.55-4.10 gears

Then get some good rear tires cause traction is your friend without it you wont be fast.

stage 2: Engine mods

Considering your car is speed density you may want to convert it to mass air before doing engine mods.

First I would do the heads and intake and leave the stock cam

GT-40 heads and intake and the stock cam with 1.7 roller rockers is a good set-up for speed density. At this point you would want headers.

Stage 3: suspension/weight reduction

After you beef up the motor you notice that the stock suspenion is no longer adequate.

Sub frame connectors are a must for fox body stangs. (money well spent).

Depending on how serious you are about speed you may want to remove the front sway bar and get drag springs/shocks. The budget thing to dois put 4 banger springs in the front.

Weight reduction is a thing that alot of people over look but it can be as effective as adding HP.

Sway bar
Dog Bone on rear end
A/C and components (Only for the hard core)
fiber glass hood.
Sound deadening material
aluminum rims
aluminum drive shaft
smog pump

etc...
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:38 PM   #9
stang_racer20
Registered Member

i wouldnt waste your money on the gt-40 heads if i were you. for what you pay you will be very disappointed. you can get a set of trick flow twisted wedge for $1k through summit. a lot more box power and capabilities! then a nice can and intake is the way to go!
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:05 PM   #10
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Hey man, I have a K&N Box filter and a set of 3.73's that I can let go pretty cheap. $85.00 + shipping for the gears and I'll throw in the k&n box filter.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:14 AM   #11
tmoss
Registered Member

Since you already have them, there is nothing wrong with running GT40 heads. With a little work they can make very good power. GT40Ps are also good heads - either will make 300RWHP with the right cam and intake.

If your tight on the budget, paste the link in my signature on how you can get much better power from the stock intake system.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:23 PM   #12
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stang_racer20
i wouldnt waste your money on the gt-40 heads if i were you. for what you pay you will be very disappointed. you can get a set of trick flow twisted wedge for $1k through summit. a lot more box power and capabilities! then a nice can and intake is the way to go!
200-500 bux for gt-40 or gt-40p heads

1000 bux on trick flows.

Hmmmm....

I know lots of guys in the 12's with full weight GT's with GT-40 heads.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: