MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Default Steering Rebuild Qs for '65 Coupe

I'm planning on rebuilding the steering, and I've got a few questions before I start.

Do I need anything fancy like those $1.5K+ rack and pinion conversion kits for a car that is only going to see track use once in awhile, and even then I'm only planning to build the engine up to 300-350 max hp/trq?

Mustangs Plus*::*Steering*::*Steering Rebuild Kits*::*1965-66 V8 Grab-A-TrakŪ Make-It-New Power Steering Rebuild Kit

I was thinking of going with this, since I can't seem to find bushing and sleeve sets. I honestly can't tell what's worn, other than those. It's my first time doing this, so I don't quite know what to look for other than stuff being bent etc, and everything down there is a plain mess.

Mustangs Plus*::*Steering*::*Power Steering Rams*::*1966-69 Power Steering Ram

If I'm to replace the ram, I guess I'd go with this. My current ram was rebuilt a few years ago (the car was only driven 1 of those years) but the guy that did my alignment said it looks like there was a power steering fluid leak somewhere. Probably a hose, but who knows.

Are there any other parts I should be replacing/adjusting while I'm doing this?

Any pointers would be appreciated. Like I said, it's my first time messing with the steering. Is this something I can do myself, if I was able to rebuild my suspension myself? It definitely needs some TLC, but I don't want to screw something up in the process.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Steering Rebuild Qs for '65 Coupe

You'll be fine with the stock suspension setup. I tried to find it, but there was an article from one of the major mags that had a 65/66 ranchero that was a track car running stock front suspension, running faster then Ferraris!
You should be able to do it all no problem, just get the alignment close and bring it to the alignment shop.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

The suspension is no longer stock, I beefed it up last year. You meant the steering, right?

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
bmxmon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMustang65 View Post
The suspension is no longer stock, I beefed it up last year. You meant the steering, right?
Ugh, yes, sorry. What I was trying to say is that you wont have a problem taking out/replacing the steering components with your prior experience. I dont know whats up with me recently, havent been wrenching enough!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: