MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-13-2001, 10:52 AM   #1
CEEYAHD
Registered Member

Question Valve cover & hood clearance?

This is my first post here I have been reading for a few month now while waiting for the work on my 93 cobra to complete and I was wondering if you guys can help, I put a 347 stroker in my mustang and holley systemax intake and wanted to use motorsport valve covers but they would not clear intake so I used the stock cobra covers, now I upgraded to afr 185 heads and a custom ground cam and stud mount rockers and now my stock valve covers wont clear rockers, I am taking the motorsport covers to mechanic to see if they will clear rockers if they do I will have to use spacer for intake to clear covers and intake might hit the hood. has anyone used this set up clearing the stock hood and what valve covers were used or what covers can I use and keep my stock hood. Thanks
CEEYAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 11:14 AM   #2
fordgasm
Registered Member

I don't have the same set up as you but....you may be able to slightly modify the stock valve covers to clear the rockers.

I have a GT-40 intake with Lunati aluminum roller rockers and had a clearance problem. I was able to remove the oil baffle at the filler neck opening, grind the bosses off and then I ground the other ribs in the casting where there was a clearance problem. This allows the use of the stock covers.

I suspect you will need a 1" spacer to get the clearance you need for the tall motorsport covers. Not sure about the Holley intake but I have seen this done with an Edelbrock intake and stock hood.

Hope that helps some

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 12:12 PM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

I have TFS rocker arm covers and they clear my FMS 1.6 roller rockers. I got them to eliminate the 1" spacer that I had to use when I used the FRPP tall rocker covers. The drawback is that you don't have an oil filler neck.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 05:51 PM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I have a GT-40 intake and switched to the FRPP tall valve covers too. I had to go with a 1" spacer and that caused all kinds of clearence problems. I'd recommend getting a new hood from Cervinis to remedy this problem. The covers look killer on there though

Notice my supports are removed under my hood. It still rubbed in spots so I used a ball pean hammer to remedy this. I have an SVO scoop mounted on the hood so you can't see the dents LOL.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241

[This message has been edited by 2FastLX (edited 10-14-2001).]
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote