MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-12-2001, 04:06 PM   #1
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

Question Tune Up Help(it's easy guys but I need help)

Hey guys,
I want to do some work to my stang this summer seeing that it is basically still stock. Before I really get into it I think it needs a good tune up.
I know that tune ups are easy but I've never done one. Just help me through it nad if there anything else I should do while doing it? Also, how much should I spend on the stuff you recommend?
Sorry about the stupid questions.

Thanks alot guys
Scott

------------------
95 Red Mustang GT
Pro 5.0
MAC fenderwall cold air induction kit
Mostly stock(looking to modify)
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 04:35 PM   #2
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

hey,
I actually found a good one on sn95.com. It is in deep detail, I have no idea how much this is gonna run me though.
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 11:26 PM   #3
MDM
Registered Member

I will guess that you have a 302 and so you will need a cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, along with a new air filter, oil filter, and maybe fresh coolant and trans fluid, depending on mileage. Checking the serpentine belt for wear is also a good idea at this time. You want to swap out the cap, rotor, plugs (after they are gapped), and wires. Change your oil, oil filter, and other fluids as needed, and check your timing(a naturally aspirated motor running 93 octane should easily manage 14 deg initial @ idle with the spout connecter removed). You will want to advance a degree at a time and check carefully to avoid detonation, which becomes an increasing concern as ambient temps rise. Timing is free horsepower, but you have to be wary of detonation. What works on your friend's motor may not work on yours. Check your TPS (throttle position sensor) with a multimeter. It is located on the throttle body. You connect into the green and black wires using a pin or needle to pierce the insulation very slightly. You should have a reading around .998 volts with the throttle completely closed. Adjust as needed by loosening the mounting screws and moving the sensor. You may also want to clean out your idle solenoid if it has built up any carbon. It is the cylindrical piece attached to the throttle body. Now is a great time to remove your air silencer located in the air intake tract just behind the right side fender. Swapping to a K+N conical filter and/or cold air kit is also a good idea. You get approximately 1% increase in horsepower for every 10 degree drop in intake air temperature. Have fun
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote