MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-30-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
MLMike25
Registered Member

Default New guy here... got a few questions...

Hey guys.

I'm not a "gearhead", but I'm willing to learn. I've never owned a Mustang before, but next week, I will be purchasing this 93 Notchback for $7k (see the attached files below... its a zip file b/c my pics were too big).

It has 41,000 miles on it and a 6 month old AC unit. The car is virtually flawless inside and out. I have a car fax report on it and there's no bad news. I've had serveral convo's with the current owner and I am getting the impression that the car has been babied most of its life. I don't plan to mod this car to push it, I'm just buying it b/c I want a 93 notch. In time I may do some minor tweaking here and there, but I'm not gonna run this car.

My questions are:

1. I know the Kelly Blue Book value of this car is around $5K, but since the car is damn near brand new, does that justify the $7k asking price? He would only budge from $7500, so I can't negotiate any more. How much am I overpaying? Is it worth it? Would you do it?

2. I've had many people discourage me from making this purchase b/c "Mustangs are so problematic"... allegedly. Is this true? What are your experiences? I have a good feeling about this car and the owner. He is the 3rd owner and knows the 1st owner, so I can talk to him as well. Can you guys give me some feedback on how much of a headache it allegedly is to own and maintain Mustangs?

3.What type of costs are associated with the regular maintenance of a car like this? I mean stuff like tires (not looking for Z rated), mufflers... you know... stuff that you have to replace every now and then?

Thanks for all feedback. I'll test drive the car a few times this weekend and if it meets expecations, I'll buy it next week...
Attached Files
File Type: zip untitled5.zip (6.20 MB, 12 views)
MLMike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Default Re: New guy here... got a few questions...

I don't open unknown zip files, so based on the car being a 93 with low mile and in great shape. I would say 7k is still waaaay too much. Not being a Cobra or some other collectable model its a hard sell.

As far as regular maintenance its no more than anything else. Rear drive cars tend to take more abuse than the front drive cars. Parts are available everywhere and normal hand tools can fix most of the car.

Constant ragging on any car will cost you a bundle. So it breaking down because its a Mustang thing is a moot point.

I think Mustangs especially Fox body are a great Hot Rods to have. As I said above , parts are everywhere making them cheaper. Ever look under the hood of a Camaro? Wheres the engine at? They run good as any other car but are a PITA to work on. And if you dont do the work yourself the cost of labor is nutz.

my .02$
Old 12-30-2004, 06:24 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Once a car has passed 10 years old it's true value is what someone will pay for it. You are paying $7,000. for a 12-year-old car but one that has seen less miles in it's dozen years than most cars see in three years and by your account, the '93 is physically 'flawless'. That matters. So does the fact that the 'Fox' 5.0 Mustang is a desired vehicle and - as they stopped making that model in '93 - not in plentiful suppy. In short, it's no Taurus. It's a 'niche' vehicle; one that has a special appeal for a small number of potential car buyers. We consider it special, if not yet 'collectible'. The same way the early ('64-66) Mustangs were in the mid 1970's.

If it's truly flawless, has 41,000 original miles and was well-maintained then it probably is worth the selling price - but only you can decide that. What someone else would pay is irrelevant. I might pay $9,000. for the same car so does that mean you got a bargain? Someone else might only pay $5,000. for the same exact Mustang. Does that mean you got shafted? Neither. If you want the car, are assured it's in the condition you expect and you can afford the price, then it's worth the money - to you.

As for the reliability of the '93 Mustang: it's fine. Especially with only 41,000 miles on it. They do squeak and have a few minor problems (water pumps fail, front brake pads wear fairly quickly due to weight distribution) - but allow me to assure you with some personal information.

My 1990 Mustang LX 5.0, which I bought new in March of 1990 (for $13,600.) has sat outside (in the northeast) for 15 years and now has 125,000 miles on it. It has been raced but not really abused. I change the oil and filter every 2,000 miles and have never missed a 'scheduled' oil change. My Mustang has most of it's original important mechanical parts. I changed out the rear differential gears, added frame connectors (recommended), an aftermarket shifter and a CAI unit - and that's about it. It's on it's second exhaust system, clutch, radiator , struts, shocks and rear brake shoes. Many tires and front brake pads have come and gone since 1990. It has the original T-5 transmission, the cylinder heads have never been off and I've installed only one new set of valve cover gaskets. The front end suspension is all original and solid. It's been practically trouble-free and a helluva lot of fun to drive. Yes, the Strawberry Red Metallic paint and red interior are faded and it has a few small rust spots and body dents, but it still looks good from a few feet away and takes a decent wax job. If your (potential) '93 Mustang is half as good it will give you years of driving enjoyment and ownship pleasure, as my 1990 LX has given me.

I wish you well.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
MLMike25
Registered Member

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Another forum allowed me to upload the pics, so I'll just link the pics directly:

side view: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...achmentid=5538

quarter view: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...achmentid=5539

3 engine views:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...achmentid=5542

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...achmentid=5540

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...achmentid=5541

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:09 AM   #5
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Sorry, linky no worky
First off welcome to the site. If the cars as cherry as it sounds, I think you'll be very happy. And as noted before, repairs/labor on a Fox is no worse than average, and considerably easier than some.

I went over to AFM and hunted up your pics, this it?

here
here
and here?

Looks pretty good, but notches always do I'd daresay driving it will make you see the light

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
MLMike25
Registered Member

Thanks Kilted. I went to see the car on Sat and I was VERY impressed. Clean inside and out. I went looking for reasons NOT to buy the car, but I didn't find any.

Needless to say, everything should be adding up for me to get the car TODAY!!!

BTW, I don't know what's up with the links. When I click on them, they work ok... oh well, no big deal.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #7
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Well did you get it? Looks like a fair deal to me. I bought a 96 T-bird about 2 years ago for $7K with 34K miles and have been very happy so far. Love those V8's. It did need a small tune up.

The Notchbacks are a favorite...............
Old 01-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #8
MLMike25
Registered Member

Thanks for askin man.

Yup, I bought it. I am VERY satisfied with the purchase. I managed to get it for under 7 as well.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
MLMike25
Registered Member

So, I bought the car. Got it for less than 7k

Anywho, I still don't know crap about cars... but of course, I'm willing to learn.

I said that I didn't care to modify this car, but after driving it, I can't help it. What are the "easiest" and least expensive ways to improve the horsepower? (93 notchback 5.0, automatic)

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #10
MLMike25
Registered Member

Better yet, all I really wanna do is increase acceleration. I don't ever see myself driving 80-90 mph on the interstate, so I don't need high end speed.

What's the easiest/least expensive way to increase acceleration?
Old 01-05-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Congratulations on becoming a Mustang owner!

Assuming you want to keep the AOD transmission, I would suggest an immediate ring and pinion swap to a 3.73 gear ratio. That will net you a very noticable increase in acceleration without messing with the engine or affecting emissions. Costs will vary but the gears are under $200. and installation should cost about the same or more, depending on your installer and the labor rate in your area.

If the gear change doesn't do it for you there are also ways to 'beef up' the automatic transmission and make it shift harder and faster for increased acceleration. That can be accomplished relatively cheaply, too, depending on the labor costs. However, be aware that the Ford AOD transmission in your Mustang is NOT 'heavy duty' and will break under abuse, which is part of the drawback of an automatic transmission in a Mustang 5.0 and why many owners either go to a racing auto transmission or just give up and convert their 'Stangs to a manual trans. Either way, it gets expensive to replace any automatic transmission so I simply offer the warning that your AOD is vulnerable and should not be abused. That doesn't mean you can't get on it - it's not made of china - but I would avoid power braking, holding it in gear to the redline on a regular basis and manually 'power shifting', all of which will shorten the transmission's life. I would advise you to change the transmission fluid immediately and go to a synthetic trans fluid. I would also consider adding a transmission cooler, which can really extend transmission life.

Hey...good luck with your 'new' Mustang!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Congarts on the Notchback purchase. I have one myself, if you have any questions or problems down the road feel free to PM me.

I have raced and abused the hell out of my car for the last 5 years with the only mechanical failure being the oil pump last year.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #13
NeedleBender
Registered Member

for 7k you better get some sucki sucki with that. lmfao
353 @ the wheels ($3500)
Forced Induction (12psi) ($6000)
Xenon Body Kit ($700)
Bassani Exhaust ($800)
12.2 @ 113 (about $45,000)
Balls enough to use it. . .priceless
NeedleBender is offline   Reply With Quote