MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-17-2003, 01:44 AM   #1
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Default Camshaft Question

hey, i figured i would come straight to you guys for my question... so please put in any info! I need to put in a new camshaft in my mustang... my mods are listed in my sig. Now i wanted to know what cam i should go with... i was looking at the ford f303 and E303, comp. cams 35-324-8 and 35-574-8 then i also was checking on crane cams too.... does anyone have any info on these cams about how they perform... i just want the car to pull to about 5800-6000 rpm and i like the rough idle and i am running the pistons with the stock e7te heads that are ported and polished so i want to valve to clear the piston.... but i also am trying to pass emissions .... damn illinois.... any information is welcome!! -Thanks!
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:01 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default valves?

Did you have bigger valves put in the stock heads? If not, then you won't see much of a difference with a bigger cam. The heads are still choking your combo if the stock valves are in there...even if they are ported. As for which cam...I couldn't really tell you. An E might give you a little more performance. Stay small though. Or wait until you can get some better breathing heads with bigger valves and then install the cam. Just my opinion...
Old 10-17-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
bry
Registered Member

I agree with Simi you need to get some new heads. i use AFR 185 heads on my car and that was the best money I've spent.
bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 04:09 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Bigger valves actually hurt the performance of the stock heads. You dont make alot of HP with ported stock heads because they flow well. You have to keep the velocity of the air high to make up for the poor flow characteristics of the stock heads so stay with the stock valves.

Anything over .480 lift is a waste of powerband. The heads wont flow for nothing @.500 lift. A .470-.480 lift cam should do fine.

Most people just put 1.72 RR with the stock cam to achieve .480 lift.

I made over 250 RWHP when I had my stock ported and milled heads and GT-40 intake with the stock cam and rockers.

I see you already have an aftermarket cam, I would just leave it alone a cam will only help so much with stock heads.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 07:14 AM   #5
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Bry:

What cam do you have with your 185s, and is it a stock bottom-end with pistions?

Reason I ask is we've got an 88GT project that my son and I are building. He recently put in a X303 cam and was looking at 185 heads. We've been told that combo won't work unless the pistions are notched for volve clearance.

My son has done the research on heads and he really likes the 185s - everything I've read about them their kick a**. We've been told the 165s will work with our stock bottom and X303 cam - but he really wants the 185s. I guess we could pick up a milder cam and go with the 185s.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:46 AM   #6
Coolbreeze
Registered Member

I agree with just keeping the cam you have since you wont see much difference by swapping.... But if you just want to swap, the E-303 works good woth stock ported. And the 'E' has and nice idle to it, along with makeing good power for what you are looking for...And if you ever do upgrade heads you can just add 1.7 rockers and have a lift around .525 area. I can't remeber the exact lift been awhile since I had that combo..

Blown~AOD'ed~331~
T-top~ 86GT
Check out car on my page here ------ >
~~My 86GT T-top ~~
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 06:17 AM   #7
Mustang_289
Registered Member

The installed X303 cam with the new Typhoon intake and stock heads isn't working too well. My son actually has lost power with making these changes while keeping the stock heads.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:40 AM   #8
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

i think that i am going to go with the F303 cam because in a few months i am getting new heads and in about a month i am goin with the edelbrock performer 5.0 intake and i think that the am will match good until then.... because the cam should be great after i do my next mods... any comments? -Thanks!
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote