MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-10-2001, 12:38 AM   #1
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Angry ITS THE DAMN SYNCHROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please Read

i really need a new tranny !!!!!!
im p!$$ed, the synchros for reverse are toast. does anyone know if it is cheaper to rebuild the tranny(could i do it myself?), or just get an old one from a autowrecker?

i cnt get it in reverse, but all of the forward gears work, so i guess ill have to drive it like it is, & shut it off, then put it in reverse until i pay back everyone, & then have eanough for a new tranny (or rebuild)

thanks

p.s. does anyone have an old t-5 laying around that you would be willing to donate to me, or sell for cheap?

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
3.08's, No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe, K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), Removed Air SilencerMy Stang
My Site (Not Done Yet)
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 12:59 AM   #2
blueneonman1
Registered Member

I feel your pain, but I think mine is worse...my 2nd gear is toast . I would also like to know how cheap a rebuild could be or if I should get a new tranny.

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Custom Cold Air Intake | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | BBK Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | King Cobra Clutch | FMS Adjustable Clutch Cable | B&M Short Throw | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 01:04 AM   #3
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
yours is worse, but at least i can stilll drive it like this. anyone know how much longer the other synchros will last since reverse is toast?

anyone know what causes the synchros to go???

thanks
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 02:06 AM   #4
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Try putting it in fifth first, then pull straight back into reverse.
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 08:44 AM   #5
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

Reverse doesn't have a syncro in the T-5

Reverse is famous for being a PIA at time sin the T-5 try sticking it in another gear as suggested then try Reverse. Or try letting the clutch out a little while trying to put it in reverse.

To do a proper rebuild, with all new internals it will cost around $550 in parts, I just did this new imput shaft, cluster, 2nd and 3rd, and the complete rebuild kit with bearings and syncros. Contact Don Walsh Jr at D&D or Bob Hanlon both rebuild T-5's and sell new ones and parts. I have delt with both for parts and they are a great bunch of guys...

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! FIRST TIME OUT 12.16@111 WHEELS-UP

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 07-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 07-10-2001).]
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 10:54 AM   #6
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I telling you guys, it's an epidemic spread? my t-5 is making some noises, i replaced the clutch and throwout bearing, and still, i get a chattering noise in every gear except 4th, read "my broken t-5" thread, i have really been stressed out, im afraid to drive it, but have to get to work somehow, it's embarrasing letting the clutch out at a light and i can hear it pretty loud Im having a guy do the work for 425$ but i need to really find another option?? any ideas? oh and my reverse synchro does the famous grind too.

hope we can all shift again with no problems.....good luck
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote