MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-23-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
03stangGT
Registered Member

Default Nitrous?

I'm seriously thinkin about gettin nitrous for my car (03 gt). People on another site did nothin but bash Zex but seems like a really nice set up. Anyone here use Zex? I'm planing on a 100 shot. Also if I plan on doin anything more than a 100 shot, I'd need to upgrade the fuel pump correct? Before I had most of my mods I ran a 14.4 at 99.3, but that was with no quad shocks ( I had insanely bad wheel hop, sounded like my car was gonna break appart). I havent got to go to the track lately I'm hopein on 14.0-14.2. With a 100 shot do low 13's sound reasonable? how about high 12's? My current mods are... Mac offroad H, 2 chamber flowmasters, k&N, steeda underdrive pulleys, Steeda timing adjuster, steeda sport springs, jd's performance upper/lower control springs, 3.73's, and a pro50 shorty shifter. sorry about the book, any opinions will be helpfull, thanks
03stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:05 PM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

What do you have for tires? Stock tires or slicks?
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
03stangGT
Registered Member

I have shitty as stock tires still. I plan on getting new tires and some drag radials for track use, and the ocasional street race.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default quad shocks??

I'm surprised you had that bad of wheel hop even with aftermarket upper & lower CAs. Did the manufacturer of those control arms suggest removing your quad shocks...or did you HAVE TO remove them for clearance? An '03 Mustang shouldn't be having wheel hop so bad that your "car sounded like it was going to fall apart". I'd try reinstalling the quad shocks...unless...as I mentioned before...they do not work in conjunction with your new upper & lowers. Maybe it's the control arms. I'm not familiar with JDs Performance upper & lowers? With all of your mods your should be into the 13s...even on a radial. Is the track you are racing at a high altitude? What are you launching at? What is your 60ft. times? What is your tire psi. at? All these things come into play with traction...and figuring out why you are getting wheel hop., and not better 1/4 mile times.

I'd figure out your traction problem and the wheel hop before thinking about nitrous. I haven't heard a lot about the ZEX kits. I have an NOS 5115 150 hp dry kit that works great. Just remember ZEX is a new company in comparison to say NOS or Nitrous Works. But the kits are fairly simple so your chances of being happy with a ZEX kit is good...I just recommend NOS...because that's what has done me right for years now. Yes you'll need a bigger fuel pump for sure. A timing retard couldn't hurt either. With some good tires, no wheel hop, good driving...and a 100-125 hp shot of nitrous your car should be way into the 12s. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
420nitro
Registered Member

I agree w/ simi stang on the nitrous and suspention.
The only nitrous kit I trust is N.O.S. I bought a 85' Mustang Gt with aftermarket lower and upper control arms on it. The car did not hook for shyte! When I took off the quad shocks the car reacted completed different. The car now hooked with no wheel hop! I don't know if your car would act the same way but its worth a shot. The only time I keep the stock quad shocks on is when the rest of the rear suspention is stock.
If your car hooks with spray, I don't see why you could not get it into the 12's either. (on slicks)
Good Luck
Old 01-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #6
03stangGT
Registered Member

sorry about the miss communication, my car had horrible wheel hop when I ran it at the track, that was with the stock suspension, since I have put in the upper and lower CA's there is zeroooo wheel hop, soo I have no problem with that. I do plan on getting some drag radials for the track. anyone have any suggestions? my budget isnt the biggest around, butt I do have a little money layin around! thanks for all the input!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:45 PM   #7
Simi Stang

Default tires

Oh, ok. So did you have any...or all of the other mods done to your car when you turned the 14.4? Because gears & exhaust alone should get you into the 13s with some good driving. You definitely should be in the 13s with a drag radial...or even better an actual drag slick. As for drag radials...I'd suggest the BFG drag radial. I used to run those and they worked great. I ran them until they were completely bald...so I got a little more life out of them then the 5.000 miles BFG claims they are good for. I don't have much to say bad about the BFG drag radial...except that they are terrifying to drive in the rain. This is due to the shallow tread depth that they come with brand new. Mickey Thompson came out with a new drag radial...but I've yet to hear any reviews or personal experiences with them. You can launch around 3,000 rpms with drag radials and about 25psi. in the tire. That should help your 1/4 mile times out. Of course a drag slick will allow you to launch at 6,000 rpms...imagine how that would knock your time down.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:47 AM   #8
03stangGT
Registered Member

yea I was a little dissapointed with my driving, its the first car I have bought, I'm 19, my first 5 speed, and I ran the 14.4 with gears and an exhaust with the bad wheel hop. since then I have put in the control arms, u/d pulleys, and t/a adjuster. This was also my first time at the track. I just need to work on my launch, my trap speed was ok, which was like 99.3. I do need to work on my driving, but I am still new to the 5 spd and think I am doing ok! do you know of any good sites to buy the drag radials at? I have never even thought to look them up yet, also what about normal tires? for regular around town use? any suggestions?? thats for your help, I hope I'll see 12's! I'm soo pumped
Old 01-27-2004, 08:59 PM   #9
Simi Stang

Default tires

When it comes to driving...practice makes perfect. Drive it like you stole it! As for regular tires...I didn't catch what size wheels you have...but any z-rated BFG, Michelin, Winston tire will hook ok on the street. I even had a set of Firestones that hooked up great and lasted me a long time. But when you are at the track...no radial will give you the traction you want really. I used to run 255/50 series z-rated Firestones in the rear. This was on the stock 16x7in. 5-star pony wheels. Like I said they hooked pretty good on the street and lasted a long time. But the drag radial made all the difference...but I don't know if I'd put a drag radial on my daily driver. They wear out too quick and the BFGs perform terrible in the rain. I've heard the Nitto drag radials are better on wet surfaces...but don't hook up like the BFGs. And I'd assume the new Mickey Thompson drag radials would hook even better than the BFGs being that MT makes drag slicks.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:04 AM   #10
03stangGT
Registered Member

I've got the stock 17's on my car right now, and I'm gonna buy new tires for the street, as well as drag radials for the strip, haha I know d/r's would be **** for daily driving! thanks for the info!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:14 PM   #11
Simi Stang

Default slicks or ET streets!!!

Seriously...if you are purchasing drag radials for the track...DON'T!! They are fine for the street...but if you are buying tires just for the track you need to get some STICKY tires! Do yourself a favor and get some drag slicks or Mickey Thompson ET streets. Put them on a 15" wheel...and you'll be good to go. The slicks or ETs will knock about .3 off your 60ft. time over the drag radials. It's the difference of being able to launch at 6,000 rpms...as opposed to 3,000 rpms. Just my $.02.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:58 PM   #12
420nitro
Registered Member

Hey all b/s a side,...Simi Stang is on the money!
Do yourself a huge favor and by slicks for the strip and (IMO) anything to fit your 17'' wheels for the street. (WITH IN REASON)
Doesn't have to be "Z rated". I had BF Goodrich VR-4 and had awsome luck with traction and they were much cheaper then the Z rated comp T/A's.(and boy did they last!) If you are like me and just want to have fun (smoking the tires and driving sideways ) then don't blow your money on such expensive tires. Then when you want to come out for business,..roll out on slicks.
If you are worried about driving on slicks then by matching rims, so you don't stand out as much.
***I understand it is against the law and the tires are not rated for the street, so you will have to do this at your own risk!***
I took that risk and never personally had any problems, not to say you wouldn't, but I would take that risk again with out hesitation.
My 2 cents

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: