MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-22-2001, 06:22 PM   #1
crewzin
Registered Member

Default A humbling experience!

Today my Mustang club sponsored a Christmas party for a 'challenged childrens' home. This was my first year in the club therefore my first to the home.

When we arrived the children were so glad just to see visitors they went crazy. I stood there and almost cried in front of them. Now, I'm not a emotional person or in touch with my feminine side but this just went right thru me to the core. The kids were all in wheelchairs except for two, ages 6 to round 18 and all were impaired to some extent, some severe.

We gave out gifts to the ones that weren't being picked up to go home for Christmas. Can't imagine why their parents wouldn't. And had enough for the others too. We had a list so they all got what they wanted. I spent time with each one and it was great to get to know them. Now that I'm a father the whole world looks different to me and seeing these kids just strengthens what I already know: how lucky I really am!

They each got a little Mustang and talked about their wheelchair racing experiences in the halls. We got to meet the champ, a young man about 18 and a sharp mind but broken body. The champ and the rest of them wanted to go outside and see/hear the cars so the nurses opened up the front and we wheeled em outside to see several cars. Thats when I got knocked on my azz!

The champ asked what year my car was and then told me he had an 89 once. Then he told all of us thats how he ended up in that chair with a broken neck. So here's this kid who cant use his body because of one accident street racing. Damm.

I can't even count the times I've street raced or done some other stupid but fun stunt and never thought twice bout it.
Anyway I promised a burnout for them and gave em a good one.
We went to change there Christmas and give a little love.
We ended up being the ones who were changed.

Makes me question my faith though.

The next time some azz needs a good butt kicking I might think just long enough to save my own life. Maybe. But my heart will always from now on know what's the right thing to do.

Save it for the track.

Later guys and girls..... Have a happy and safe holiday season.

crewzin
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 07:33 PM   #2
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

That's very touching, it must have felt good to give them some good memories for their Christmas. You're a good man.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:33 PM   #3
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

I agree with what your saying. It is hard to see them like that and think how lucky we are. But I've learned they don't want you to feel bad for them, they just want you to be friends with them. And spending time and making them happy is the best thing for them.

Really makes you think how lucky we are (Back to this point) people complain if they have to wait 5 minutes extra in line, if there food is alittle cold, they go to emergency rooms for little things a family doctor can solve, and complain all about little things, but do they stop and think a world we live in, countries were they wait for days hoping to get food and even still not sure if it will arive at all, people take advantage for what we got. Look at those kids, I'm sure they didn't care much for there gifts, having someone to spend time with, & talk to was probably the thing they wanted the most.

Christmas isn't all about gifts, it's about family and friends that we share it with.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 07:40 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up

Crewzin:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us; it's a great account and a good reminder of how fortunate we all are, even though we may think otherwise.

These kids, their joy at the attention and gifts you guys gave them and their interest in the cars is all very moving. You did a real good thing but as you said, you were the one who got the most from the visit. Common result.

Kind of makes 'girlfriend problems' or car hassles seem petty, which they are, of course.
This visit simply presented the context we all need to acertain what's important in life. Although girlfriends and cars are right up there, the fact that we are so fortunate to be physically and mentally whole, living in the greatest country on earth with opportunities that other people in other lands can only fantasize about does make one humble as well as thankful.

The crippled young guy who wrecked his body in an automobile accident while racing was really sad.
Yeah, we all know this can happen, but who really believes it will happen to them? It can.

I've slowed down a bit and don't race every fool who revs at me or passes me and I consider myself fortunate to still be in one piece after all the races and accidents I've experienced. Why push it? No one is immortal or specially protected from serious, permanent injury. Scary thought.

No one is guaranteed a perfect body and/or mind from birth and bad things happen, even to kids.
I don't 'blame' God and I sure don't blame the kids. I believe there is a reason for everything that happens, good and bad and you'll notice that we almost never, ever question God when the good things happen, do we? Interesting the way He gets the blame for a lot of the bad while little of the praise for all the good. People often cause their own problems and misery, as we all know. Blame them when it fits.

Kids are certainly precious. I know, I have one, too. He's happy and healthy and I'm thankful for that...he could have been in that home you visited. He isn't. Thank God.

Thanks again for your story of how you were humbled. A real Meaning of Christmas-type story; which your giving of yourself, your time and the toys certainly was. You did good.

We need to read these kinds of things from our members sometimes, for ballast, if nothing else.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 07:42 PM   #5
gt lee

Dear crewzin:

My heart and my most blessed thanks go out to you.

That IS what Christmas is all about. What a great gift you all gave to the kids, wish I had been there. I'm also in a wheelchair at times - depends on my legs - and was caused by a wreck a long time ago. So for me in my situation I can really respect what you guys did for those kids.

Please tell all your friends what a wonderful gift you all gave them. Me and Crazyhorse wish you and all you family the warmset Christmas and a wonderful New Year,

Lord the kids need more like you guys in this world and adults too that are unable to do like they use to so a great big THANK YOU to all of your group that helped the younguns have a smile and some love showed to them.

Sincerely,

Lee and Marty
Old 12-22-2001, 08:02 PM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

crewzin, what you & your club did was a great thing. It doesn't make you feminine, it just shows you have a heart, thats all.

You did a really special thing. As a war vet I've seen some awful things that I'll never talk about, but when we were ordered not to give food to the children in Iraq, I did - i couldnt help myself. it just shows that you're a good man.

God will notice your acts; you got a star by your name today. Merry Christmas to you, mom347 & your family and everyone on this board.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 11:44 PM   #7
Mustangmom2k
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hey, Jason, I always knew you were a good guy, especially after having met you! One thing you did not mention is what a great gift your story is to the rest of US! Well, to me anyway.

As you may know, I never street race and have said so many times. Though I'm often sorely tempted to, I can't help but think that I may wind up responsible for some kid's permanent injury or death (or my own) if I succumb. You just never know what could happen, and I could never live with myself if I played any part in a tragedy like that. I also could never face the parents since I'm older and should know better (which I do). I so often worry about the younger folks in my club who seem to think they're bulletproof.

God bless you and Heather and Payton. Thanks for a great story!
Best ET-13.587 @100.63 Best RT .500 (really!)
------ 234 RWHP 279 RWTQ
GirlsCanToo Oct. Mare of the Month

Son #1 - '87 GT 331 stroker and 03 Cobra Son #2 - '89 LX 5.0 stock notchback and 89 LX hatchback w/lots of goodies
Mustangmom2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 11:47 PM   #8
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Smile I am not surprised!!!

CREWZIN...what a GREAT story! And knowing you, I know it came from the heart....It brought tears to my eyes, and made me forget some of my own 'problems'.
You are a unique individual! And, I'm glad that your a friend of mine!!! Hope to see ya'll soon! I miss ya'll!
If I dont see ya'll before Christmas, ya'll have a super holiday!!!! and give Payton a hug for me!
Topless

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 11:48 PM   #9
69fastback
IRAQ VET

wow that is a great story. I admire u for what u did. It always makes u feel good to do things like that. My mom works with handicaped people and it is so much fun to go visit her at work and get a chance to spread some joy around.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 12:12 AM   #10
crewzin
Registered Member

Default good day

Well I'm glad that I was able to explain today's events well enough that ya'll caught what I felt.

Please don't think I'm some kind of wonderful person, yet. I've still got to be judged by the big guy for all the **** I've pulled. But thanks for your kind words and I'm sure you all would have felt the same way I did.

Its nice to talk to people who don't always put up the (I'm sooo tuff) front. BUT I AM, huh uh,TOUGH. Just ask me!

Hey, if you guys know of something or someone that had an experience like mine today, post it.

Well - gotta go. Later....
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 11:05 AM   #11
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

crewzin , ithought about your post for awhile last night, not many guy's admit they have feelings,-uh i never cried , i dont care about anyone, those type of guy's are lying,i know men arent supposed to cry or have feelings but thats the way we are taught to be and i think it's bs,so in my eyes you are more of a man than most guy's i know,take care.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 01:25 PM   #12
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Great story...I bet you really made their day! That's awesome that you did a burnout for them,bet the don't see that very often. If your ever unlucky enough to see a hardcore fatal crash happen, you'll really think twice before doing anything stupid in your car. I've seen more than a few, just horrible...... Everyone have a great christmas, wear your seatbelts, and be careful!
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote