MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 11:53 PM   #41
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Angry Post count ad nauseam

Chris

You contribute a lot to the site and it's always appreciated but I'm asking you, as one man to another, to knock this off.

Dan and I discussed dropping the messageboard post count some time ago but we've both been distracted by other priorities, including making a living, and felt there was no rush to do this. My feelings were known to Dan and everyone else for months.

The irrelevance of the post count was brought home when I zeroed out my count and only a few members even noticed and you were the only one to comment directly and publicly on it. That was interesting.

I know the count was important to you, you made that very clear to both Dan McClain and to me. However, Dan saw that it was becoming a distraction and he decided to eliminate it. Up until then, the only real 'whining' we heard was from you, especially your pleading PM to Dan to not drop the count.

My view, your view as well as many others were all considered but Dan is the owner, he runs the site and he was getting as annoyed as I was with the silly post count distraction. It just wasn't worth it anymore. He's explained that more than once, now. How many times does he have to do this?

I'm sure that you run your business as you see fit and if a few customers get their nose out of joint over some change you feel the need to institute, I seriously doubt you cater to them. Neither do we, not on a free site.

You don't like implications about having too much time on your hands or not knowing anything? I can appreciate that because I don't care much for your snide remarks about whining and power trips over something as minor as a post count. Let's get the priorities in order. In a week, no one will even think much about a stupid post count. These suddenly-hot 'issues' seem to flicker out and die quickly on the internet. That's for the best.

Let it go at that and let's stop beating a very dead horse.

Jim
Old 08-31-2002, 12:22 AM   #42
PKRWUD

Jim

I found it very helpful to have around. It's still available, it's just more of a pain now, but whatever. You keep referring to people who post just to inflate their count, yet I know of less than 5, total, that do that, and none of them are around anymore. But changing things for them is the answer to the problem that didn't really exist? Either way, it does come across as a power trip. As I've mentioned, I was totally unaware that a record was even kept until June. If you had asked me prior to that, I would have guessed that I wasn't even in the top 100. What irks me the most about the count, and it's demise from easy view, is that you seem to be the major voice behind it's move. You used to make jokes about being #1, and didn't seem to have a problem with it then. I received an email about a month ago from a member congratulating me for passing you for the "top spot". BFD. I looked, and sure enough, I had passed you by 10 or 15 posts. So what? The next day, I received an email from that same person telling me that you had passed me again. Again, so what? When I looked to see what they were talking about, I noticed you were suddenly credited with 100 more posts, overnight. That's when it felt like a power trip. I continued to reply to posts in my usual manner, when it was brought to my attention by ANOTHER member who asked you about zeroing out your numbers, that you had done that right after I had passed you again.

Jim, I haven't done anything to inflate my count, or to try and "compete" with anyone. I come here to spend time with good friends, and to help some people when I can. This whole thing has turned into a big joke, and really isn't worth the time or effort. What I mentioned above were just the facts as I noticed them, and I'm sure there is much more involved, I just don't care anymore. I thought this had all been resolved, but I was wrong.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-31-2002, 01:13 AM   #43
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

blah blah blah blah blah blah
*joe steps out for a while*
Old 08-31-2002, 01:37 AM   #44
induction
The Brit!

Default Re: Post count ad nauseam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
Chris

The irrelevance of the post count was brought home when I zeroed out my count and only a few members even noticed and you were the only one to comment directly and publicly on it. That was interesting.

I know the count was important to you, you made that very clear to both Dan McClain and to me. However, Dan saw that it was becoming a distraction and he decided to eliminate it. Up until then, the only real 'whining' we heard was from you, especially your pleading PM to Dan to not drop the count.

Let it go

Jim
Ok I know that I have just thrown myself into the rath but if you all don't mind I would like to point out something that I feel is important , at least to me.

As for Mr 5 0's post count being zeroed out I have no doubt that more then " just a few members" noticed it . We/I just didn't respond to it because you stated how you felt about the whole thing and thats cool . I for one didn't want to question it for the fear of being , ( maby this isn't the correct word so forgive me ) shouted down or open a debate with you on the matter only to feel inferior. I don't debate very well as you know first hand and thats my misfortune. Be that as it may so I chose to let it go (being coy).

I think it's also unfair of you to bring up the subject matter of someones PM that was directed to another person . Why do we have the PM option anyway if it's not Private? If anyone wanted to make a conversation public then it would have been posted for ALL to see. I just seem to recall you saying something to the effect of things can be handeled via PM as to not clutter this forum with the likes of a flame war or misunderstandings ect. Yes I know who owns the site and that the moderators have a un-paid job to do so that everyony enjoys the best free site around and I respect that more then you know, but this bothers me .
Sorry for the rant but I had to get that out . Thanks
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27

Last edited by induction; 08-31-2002 at 01:45 AM..
Old 08-31-2002, 02:12 AM   #45
PKRWUD

Default Re: Re: Post count ad nauseam

Quote:
Originally posted by induction
I think it's also unfair of you to bring up the subject matter of someones PM that was directed to another person . Why do we have the PM option anyway if it's not Private? If anyone wanted to make a conversation public then it would have been posted for ALL to see. I just seem to recall you saying something to the effect of things can be handeled via PM as to not clutter this forum with the likes of a flame war or misunderstandings ect.
Interesting. I had overlooked that line, or I would have responded to it directly. I never "pleaded" with Dan to keep the count. I sent him a PM because I thought it wouldn't look right replying to that thread, seeing as some of the members take such things in a juvenile way. But, a couple days after sending it, the replies in that thread begged for it, so I replied, expressing another view. As I recall, I said the same things in my post that I did in my PM to Dan, but it was nice of you to bring that up anyway, Jim. With that in mind, Induction brings up a good point.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-31-2002, 02:19 AM   #46
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Post count ad nauseam

Quote:
Originally posted by induction
Ok I know that I have just thrown myself into the rath but if you all don't mind I would like to point out something that I feel is important , at least to me.

As for Mr 5 0's post count being zeroed out I have no doubt that more then " just a few members" noticed it . We/I just didn't respond to it because you stated how you felt about the whole thing and thats cool . I for one didn't want to question it for the fear of being , ( maby this isn't the correct word so forgive me ) shouted down or open a debate with you on the matter only to feel inferior. I don't debate very well as you know first hand and thats my misfortune. Be that as it may so I chose to let it go (being coy).

I think it's also unfair of you to bring up the subject matter of someones PM that was directed to another person . Why do we have the PM option anyway if it's not Private? If anyone wanted to make a conversation public then it would have been posted for ALL to see. I just seem to recall you saying something to the effect of things can be handeled via PM as to not clutter this forum with the likes of a flame war or misunderstandings ect. Yes I know who owns the site and that the moderators have a un-paid job to do so that everyony enjoys the best free site around and I respect that more then you know, but this bothers me .
Sorry for the rant but I had to get that out . Thanks
go girl, i agree i dont care if they took my post count away, heck look at some other sites , you see people with 14,000 posts, no biggie, it aint nothing, but just starting a lot of flame wars, which i thought, was one good issue, i think this is starting to drag mw down, oh well just my.02 , i may be wrong, whatever, nevermind,but i agree with you induction. l8ter.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Old 08-31-2002, 02:53 AM   #47
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Quote:
Originally posted by andy669
Anyone else care to disect and twist everything I say?
Who disected and twisted everything you said? You said some people with a greater post count than you made you feel inferior to them, we asked for an example, and you didn't give us one.
Old 08-31-2002, 10:44 AM   #48
StangFlyer
Founder

Exclamation

Ok, this whole thing is just becoming ridiculous. The simply fact is that I made some changes to the board and the post counts are no longer displayed. There's no point in arguing and bickering about it on and on and on. In my book the change has been made, and now life goes on. Next month everyone will be used to the change and all will be well. So, instead of perpetuating the argument over it, let's just end it all and get on with it...
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
Closed Thread