MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2001, 06:22 PM   #1
crewzin
Registered Member

Default A humbling experience!

Today my Mustang club sponsored a Christmas party for a 'challenged childrens' home. This was my first year in the club therefore my first to the home.

When we arrived the children were so glad just to see visitors they went crazy. I stood there and almost cried in front of them. Now, I'm not a emotional person or in touch with my feminine side but this just went right thru me to the core. The kids were all in wheelchairs except for two, ages 6 to round 18 and all were impaired to some extent, some severe.

We gave out gifts to the ones that weren't being picked up to go home for Christmas. Can't imagine why their parents wouldn't. And had enough for the others too. We had a list so they all got what they wanted. I spent time with each one and it was great to get to know them. Now that I'm a father the whole world looks different to me and seeing these kids just strengthens what I already know: how lucky I really am!

They each got a little Mustang and talked about their wheelchair racing experiences in the halls. We got to meet the champ, a young man about 18 and a sharp mind but broken body. The champ and the rest of them wanted to go outside and see/hear the cars so the nurses opened up the front and we wheeled em outside to see several cars. Thats when I got knocked on my azz!

The champ asked what year my car was and then told me he had an 89 once. Then he told all of us thats how he ended up in that chair with a broken neck. So here's this kid who cant use his body because of one accident street racing. Damm.

I can't even count the times I've street raced or done some other stupid but fun stunt and never thought twice bout it.
Anyway I promised a burnout for them and gave em a good one.
We went to change there Christmas and give a little love.
We ended up being the ones who were changed.

Makes me question my faith though.

The next time some azz needs a good butt kicking I might think just long enough to save my own life. Maybe. But my heart will always from now on know what's the right thing to do.

Save it for the track.

Later guys and girls..... Have a happy and safe holiday season.

crewzin
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote