MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-23-2001, 12:49 AM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Angry Mustang aftermarket has forgotten where it all began.

I'm sure some people won't agree w/ me or just won't care, but I'm really getting fed up with this. Aftermarket is pissing me off. Just about everything now is geared towards the '87-present Mustangs. And if not '87, then '83-present. What about the '79s???? First of the Foxes. Did we contribute nothing to the Mustang family? Did the Foxes just automatically begin at '87 or was there some building off of the later models???????? (rhetorical Q)

Hoods, guages (cluster panels), carbon fiber, etc. Must I get everything custom made? And NO, I REFUSE to switch my grill (bumper cover) over to a newer model ('84-93) so I can accomodate aftermarket's preference for newer stangs. I'm staying with my '79. Aftermarket's incompetence will not detour my plans and I will do what it takes to make my car what I want it to be-- exactly what I want it to be-- that even means making something myself.

I am not yelling at YOU guys, just venting. And I adore '87-93, but I adore '79-93 MORE. The Foxes are my personal favorites.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under custom made 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter. Only a couple of weeks b4 Project FOX begins!!!

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 04:01 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Feel any better?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 08:18 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

It's just that the 1987-1993 stang were very popular and there aren't that many 1979s runnin around. There is just not enough market for them to bother making something JUST for the 1979. It would simply cost them too much money to make it.

BTW 1981 is my favorite year model

------------------
THE SLO PONY
1992 Ford Mustand LX. 2.3 liter four-banger, auto. Future mods: V-8 swap.
Fly it loud, Fly it proud!!!

If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin hard enough
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 08:54 AM   #4
mustang marty gt

Thumbs up

if you check out some of the classic stang catalog's , some of them have attachment cat's for mustang 2's & up including your 79 & on. ck it out.good luck
Old 09-23-2001, 10:04 AM   #5
Capri306

Fox Body: I used to feel the same way when the only fox I had was my 1979 Capri. You're right, it's a real B!TCH to find parts for these cars (try finding a 1979 5.0 accelerator cable. What a joke!). However, this can work in your favor some ways. If you want a hood, then make a mold, some resin & fiberglass, and create it. A totally custom hood. Who knows? Somebody might see it and really like it, then you can make some $$$. I dunno, excuse me for running off on a tangent there.

Yeah, I know you may think of me as a "sell-out" getting my '87 notch, but as a college student it's the only affordable thing I could do. Don't worry, I still have the ol' Capri, it's a great solid car. Plus, I think on another level, anybody that DOES build up a '79-'82 Mustang or Capri really gets more respect from me, just because I've been there.

Don't blame the aftermarket, dude. It's not their fault that Ford changed hood designs so much in the early 80's. They're in the market to sell what's profitable, just like any other business. Like I said, you may have to resort to making your own parts, but that's more fun IMHO anywayz.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!"
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 10:44 AM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD:
Feel any better? Take care
~Chris
Yes, I do feel better, thank you...and more determined.

Capri, I can tell you understand exactly how I feel. I don't believe ANY Mustang owner is a "sell out" for gettting an '87. Its A Mustang. I LOVE Mustangs. When I first got my '79, I thought hard about getting the '87 on up model b/c everyone else had one, but then soon changed my mind and have been determined and in love w/ my '79 since then.

And kinda like you said, if I see a '87 souped up, it's awesome, but seeing a '79-83 souped up has more of an effect on me.

BTW, the hood I have now, I made from the original '79 hood. Yes, making a lot of the stuff for your car makes it more personal and rewarding IMO.

Alright, I'll quit whining (For now).

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under custom made 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter. Only a couple of weeks b4 Project FOX begins!!!

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote