MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-30-2004, 02:59 AM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Default Quick Questions...Some dumb ones.

Got the magic 1000 mile mark on the new motor, so tonight I set out to seriously figure it out. After alerting every cop within miles by my blasting down the All American Highway I decided to move to other proving grounds.

So, out in the country I went and used a few back roads. After marking off a quarter mile, I perceeded to figure out how to get the most out of my suspension. Cant use first for much else other than to get the car rolling and set for second gear RPM. Second gear I can now Mat to the floor and half the time it does good, the other half it just spins.

Through my plethra of runs, I noticed the car acts real inconsistant. When getting the chip burned, the man mentioned that my Mass Air meter could cause such problems as I am encountering. I'm thinking of going to a Lighting Mass Air Meter if that does turn out to be the prob.

The best I got out with 40 percent throttle on first, matting second, shifting at 6600 RPM was 113 MPH. Thats an AVERAGE of five runs down with those shift points. I was only going to do 3, but I wanted to make sure I got the MPH right. Yes, the speedo is correct.

Question #1. What kind of ET would one expect with that Trap Speed??

Question #2. Has anyone heard of a Mass Air Meter causing consistancy problems??

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Default Re: Quick Questions...Some dumb ones.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury
Question #1. What kind of ET would one expect with that Trap Speed??
See my sig for my ETs (on drag radials). I'm looking for 114's -115's this year with some tuning.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:32 AM   #3
RBatson
Registered Member

I'm thinking you should be in the low 12s.

As far as the meter, I'm not real sure about the 4.6 cars but isn't that something a chip should fix? You bought a JMS chip, right? I have one in a box in the garage, I never could get the damn thing to work right. I'd see if I could borrow a meter from someone before I bought one but then again.. shouldn't the chip be burnt for the meter too? I will never get another mail order chip, the next one will be burnt on a dyno... more money but worth it($600 last I checked.. yrs ago). There is a guy in Charlotte that I've heard does a pretty good job. Ray something..