MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: What catergory does your worst car fit in?
Poll Options
What catergory does your worst car fit in?

Old 10-24-2006, 08:04 PM   #41
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Re: What's the worst car you've ever owned?

I'd have to say my 2005 Lamborghini Gallardo...Just no pick up without those extra two cylinders. (This is a lie)
Old 01-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #42
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I'm amending mine to be my 1998 Mustang Cobra that i recently got rid of.
In the first year, things were "ok (relative term)" but at about 80,000 miles it fell apart. i bought it with 69,000 miles
Problems:
It had previously blown the engine (had a reman)
popped out of 4th gear, apparently only fix (Technical Service Bulletin) is to replace the main shaft.....so yeah, needed a new T-45
Front brakes warped immediately and brakes squeeled (ford pads) even though there was TONS left (about 8mm when it started)
Check engine light; purge valve was faulty, had a bank 1 lean code and O2 sensor code, the catalytic converter(s) plugged shortly after check engine light came on. - So yeah, it just made noise at full throttle and didn't go anywhere.
The idle air control valve started to stick
Throwout bearing went bad on new clutch installed right before i bought it (when it had blown the engine). Bought a ford replacement clutch kit.....new throwout bearing made noise after a week and began failing(ford bearing).
I weight 160 pounds and sit gingerly but the side bolster and leather still wore out
The factory CD player failed......new factory CD player failed after a month so i gave up
The air conditioning system developed a leak, so no A/C

....I know there's other stuff that pissed me off as well but i don't remember EVERY problem with this pile.
Also, i lost tons of money on getting rid of this thing because i had to go to school and this thing was UNDRIVABLE.

For reference i drove my 1987 Jeep Cherokee with 252,000 miles down here (I moved to Tucson, Arizona to go to U of A) and all it's needed in 6 years was a new belt, hoses, tune up, trans service.....yeah, maintenence and that's it.

I'm never buying another mustang cobra again (it was a 1998)

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #43
digital3.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84LX89GT View Post
For reference i drove my 1987 Jeep Cherokee with 252,000 miles down here (I moved to Tucson, Arizona to go to U of A) and all it's needed in 6 years was a new belt, hoses, tune up, trans service.....yeah, maintenence and that's it.
i love my 98 cherokee, its a tough little thing. i miss my mustang, but i'll be getting another one (or at least thats what i keep telling myself).
Old 02-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #44
snipergd
89 LX 5.0LTR 5SPD

My first car was a 1979 AMC Concord. It had a straight 6 with a 4 speed manual. It was white with a red landaugh top. UGLY!
snipergd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:42 AM   #45
Mach 1
Registered Member

1983 Buick Regal T-type, turbo, carbed . 3.8 liter.

Complete piece of shit! The car had great looks and rode well, and the interior was nice, but the drivetrain was the biggest GM abortion ever! After 2 motors, 1 turbo and a couple trannies, i swapped it out for a 350 chevy and turbo 350. It was still unreliable, started having all kinds of electrical problems and it would die on me for no reason whenever it felt like it.

That was the car that made me swear off GM FOREVER!
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:20 AM   #46
1LOBOSS
Registered Member

My current winter beater a 05 Pontiac Wave. Luckily it's a lease and in one year I will purchase a Ranger 4x4
1LOBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #47
1SVT2NV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84LX89GT View Post
I was just wondering what was the worst car you guys have ever owned, just something you hated, or were embarrassed to be seen in or was unreliable, boring, etc. just something you hated to drive, also i added a poll to see what catergory most people's cars end up in.

I'll start with mine, it was an '85 Honda Prelude. I hated that thing even though i should have appreciated it since it was my first car. I thought it was boring, ugly and i've never been a fan of japanese cars either. Not only that but everyone at my school had one. Luckily i drove it into a ditch before i killed myself in it (small impact and the thing was twisted up like a pretzel).

How about you guys?
old jeep nothing but problems
1SVT2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #48
CobraJet428
Registered Member

It was my "between Musatangs" car, a 1983 Ford Fairmont, that I drove for 5 years between 1988 and 1993. The car had been abused. It burned oil so bad that the catalytic converter began to stop up and it caught fire. Well, you know what happened next. I gutted the converter. As time went on, it began to leak everything except gas and antifreeze. It was a rolling environmental hazard. I am surprised that the EPA didn't pursue me!!! Because of the catalytic converter fire, I dubbed the car the "Fried Firemont." However, it did serve a purpose, meaning I didn't have to walk to get places, even though sometimes I wondered if I might have to!!
Rice Haters Club Member #237
2007 Vista Blue Mustang GT Convertible w/black top and charcoal interior, 18-in. polished aluminum wheels.
1978 Ford F150 Ranger Longbed, 400M w/automatic and 2 fuel tanks...get the picture?
1993 Mustang GT Dark Blue/Grey 2-tone. Flowmaster Mufflers and blackouts on the headlights. RIP (10/31/99).
1968 Mustang 6 cyl/C4 automatic
1938 Ford Pickup, Flathead V8 (85HP) with granny 4-speed..a restoration work in progress.
CobraJet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:57 AM   #49
5 Point Oh
Registered Member

the worst car i ever had was my first. it was a 1988 ford bronco 2. that thing looked like crap and ran half as well. It was black, silver, and bondo. it tapped all the time, and the 2.9L v6 was under powered and probably the worst motor ever built. It had a bad oil pump but i coudln't figure it out because the rockers were well lubricated, and the mechanic i took it to couldn't figure it out until i got stranded on my way to work one day when the engine siezed up. the only good thing about it was it had 4wd and that was a blast in the snow and mud.
5 Point Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #50
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up Re: What's the worst car you've ever owned?

Good thread. No wonder it's lasted so long.

My worst car was probably an old Rambler American 4-door sedan (white body, blue interior) with fairly low miles on it that we had for about a year when my wife and I were first married. I don't know what we were thinking. Six cylinder, automatic. Slow, unattractive, uncomfortable and basically unreliable. We never took it very far. It was her first car (I taught her how to drive) and she wanted something docile and easy to drive. I wanted something cheap. It had various fairly minor problems but the transmission started acting funky after a year so we sold it before it went, totally. I can't believe we ever had such a dumb car. My wife agrees.

I once owned an Oldsmobile convertible that was a nightmare. Looked cool and had some power but handled like a tank and got about 10 MPG. Broke down all the time. Ate water pumps and had a weak radiator. Electrical gremlins, too. I had to sell it for parts after only 3 months when I stupidly burned out the tranny clutches doing doughnuts in the snow. I never got to drive it with the top down.

In more recent years I owned a '90 Mustang I bought new. Practically no problems in 15 years. I sold it in 2005 for $3,000. It had given me 125,000 pleasurable miles and I knew it would eventually develop problems like a leaky head gasket or a leaky heater core. No thanks. I sold it to a guy who had some money (owned a small trucking company). He intended to 'restore' it. I never heard from him again - but I hope he did.

I had other 'grocery-getter' vehicles over the years that were crappy but they also had high miles, which excuse them, to a point. Most things that went on them were not unexpected. Engines and transmissions always held up. This includes a '87 Plymouth Horizon traded in 1995 with 144,000 miles on the odometer and a 1995 Mazda 626 (4 cylinder) with a bad transmission and 140,0000 miles on the odometer that I traded in 2005. Both were traded on a new car. I got next to nothing for them, which is about what I expected as they both were tired and probably went straight to auction, where they belonged.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:35 PM   #51
rbohm
Registered Member

the worst car i ever had was a 64 chevelle ss. it had a 283/powerglide. it ran on 6 cylinder, and smoked so bad that that i think the mosquito population declined every time i started the car. i bought the car because it was cheap. it had a cracked frame that i knew about, and some rust in the outer body. when i decided to look closer at the car, i found the frame was broken on the other side was well, the floor pans were almost completely rusted out, among other problems. i sold the car for what i paid for it though, to a guy that complained it wasnt original for some silly reason, and he almost left without buying the car until i pointed out that his 65 chevelle wasnt going to be original either once he swapped out the six for the V8. and besides all the little parts and pieces he needed for the swap were already on the car i was selling him.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #52
goodyear1984
Registered Member

uthe worst car i ever had was a 1996 sunfire yea i know its a chick car but i got it from my sister for 1000 bucks and it was in mint shape with only like 70k on the clock...when she had it she put a fuel pump,water pump,headgasket ,valves,lots of brakes,tie rodends,coils,plugs....when i got it the coils ing module and coil cover like every few months ,all the brakes 2 times,tires,tranny,so i sold it to my friend and his girl crashed it and got 4 grand in insurance money....my best was my 4cyl mustang winter car and my thunderbird turbo coupe...always started and brought me where i needed to go..my stang now is even better only thing i had to replace was the tps sensor every thing else is speed parts...also my 1990 jeep 6cyl with 200k tows cars and boats every where the only time its driving is if its towing something have had it for 3 years and put 5k on it towing and beating the crap out of it..i paid 300 for it and only had to put a starter in it
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #53
blacksvt
Registered Member

Not actually "my" car, but my son had a 1985 Pontiac Fiero, PU, what a rolling turd!

Well, at least when it was "capable" of rolling, it was horrible.
blacksvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #54
mustangfiend
Registered Member

Has to be a Dodge Neon. Horrible had to spend so much money to fix this car. Than I guess it would be a ML320 that car always had it's check engine light on and the supension would always need replacing.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #55
1nastynotch
Registered Member

98 Jeep grand cherokee for me. Pretty good off road and in the snow. Everything was fine till I started having wiring problems and it eating through front end parts. I would never buy one again.

Best daily driver to beat the crap out of was my old 89 Mercury topaz! That car was great! Beat the crap out of it and it still kept on going. I drove it home overheating about 25 miles. The thing was bubbling and shooting steam out the recovery tank everywhere. Got it home, let it cool down, added some water and drove it the next day!

RWHP- 432.6 @ 6100RPM
RWTQ- 430.2 @ 3500RPM

Best run: 10.40 ET@126.8 MPH 1.43, 60ft.

Red 93 Notchback; Work in progress, 331 blown stroker motor to come.
1nastynotch is offline   Reply With Quote