MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-16-2002, 09:18 AM   #1
wfd146
Registered Member

Default Pulley install?

How hard is it to install a set of Steeda pullies? I am looking to get them for my '02 GT?

wfd

Career firefighter - IAFF local 1590
"Always keep the Brothers in mind"

Last edited by wfd146; 05-16-2002 at 05:22 PM..
wfd146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 11:23 AM   #2
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Not hard. I had a set put on my car. I would have done them myself but I have an auto and don't really have an easy way to keep the crank from rotating. If you have a standard it will be easy. Steeda has a walktrhough on their website on how to do it.

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 05:50 PM   #3
skz4u
Registered Member

Default Pulley install

There are some things you should know, but they are an easy install. First you need an impact wrench to get the Alt. pulley off. If you don't have one, you can take it to AutoZone or a parts store like that and they'll take it off and put the new one on for ya for free. The you have to buy a harmonic balancer remover $15-$100. The cheap one is fine, to remove the balancer. Remember to use high temp RTV on the crank snout or you'll leak oil all over the place when it's started. I took me like a hour to do mine.
skz4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:48 AM   #4
Mattk1128
Registered Member

Question Pulley Pusher?

To do underdrive pulleys do you need a pulley pusher?
JBA Headers&FRPP SVO sidepipes
Superchip
17x9 Chrome Plated Cobra R
Michelin Pilot Sport Tires
Mustang Spyder Kit
K&N Air Filtercharger
Pioneer Premiere Faceplate
2-Pioneer 200watt 4-way amps
4-Pioneer 5x8 main speakers
2- Pioneer 10"subs
Battery Relocation Kit
Street Glow Red Underbody Neon Kit
Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Xenon Aero Side Scoops
COMING SOON::TNT nitrous system!!
Liscense Plate=IGO FAST
--And what a kick *** ride!
Totaled June 7th 2002
Looking For 94-98 GT Convert...
Mattk1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 11:46 AM   #5
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Not if you go Steeda, the kit comes with a long starter bolt that will pull the pulley onto the crank, you then take that bolt out and put the new Crank bolt into place and torque it down. Do not reuse your original crank bolt, they are torque-to-yield and should only be used once.

Check Here

http://www.steeda.com/instructions/pulleys.htm

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 11:02 AM   #6
jwmustangin
Registered Member

Exclamation pulley install

One of the first steps in the steeda underdrive pulley install is to remove the alternator pulley with an impact wrench.

I would highly advise you to take the alternator off and set it on the bench and then spin the bolt off that holds the pulley on with your impact wrench. This is because your radiator hose will be in the way when the alternator is on the motor therefore making it hard to get to the bolt with your impact wrench. Using a universal joint with my impact wrench wouldn't cut it! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING A SCREWDRIVER TO HOLD YOUR ALTERNATOR IN PLACE BY PUTTING IT ON THE FAN WINGS INSIDE OF IT. YOU"LL BEND THE WINGS. I've seen people do this.

If you do that u can then put on the water pump pulley on easier, but you have to remember to put the bottom bolts that hold the alternator on before u put your water pump pulley on.

BE SURE YOU HAVE three bolts to use with your crank pulley puller. I believe they are 8 x 1.25 ( YES, THIS WILL REQUIRE **@KING METRIC BOLTS!) fine thread bolts. They will need to be at least 2 inches long so that you can get a good grip on the crank pulley.

And finally, YES I HAVE DONE THIS MYSELF TO MY 2001 GT IN A HOME GARAGE. Just take your time and try to be ready for any kind of hang ups. If you've ever done any halfway serious car work at home you probaly know that sometimes the job doesn't always go as smooth as the directions say they do!
jwmustangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 04:15 PM   #7
Illini
Registered Member

Exclamation Uh, yeah you reuse the original bolt

not for sure about your 98steeda gt, but on my 2002 you DO reuse the original bolt, even though it is like you said torque to yield. Steedas actual instructions have you tighten to like 65lbs then back it off 90 degrees and retorque to 35lbs and then one full revolution tighter and that works when you put on the timing adjuster hub you retorque the same bolt to 90lbs mine hasn't broke yet
steeda underdrives, timing adjuster, triax, C&L maf, MM strut tower brace and k-member brace, Steeda subs weld-in, steeda tubular front sway bar, bullitt springs ,struts(tokico's)and shocks, bullitt gas door, alum.pedals, MM panhard Bar, cobra 13" front brake upgrade. ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRACK *****
66' 2 dr malibu;
355 cube 4-bolt main, steel crank, chevy pink rods, KB 10.7 to1 pistons, ported double humps 202&160, torkerII intake, rejetted holley 650 D.P., crane ignition box, comp.cam roller rockers& 280 degree cam, balanced to 8500 rpm, hooker super comps, 3000 rpm stall and built turbo 350 tranny. dynoed at 543hp and 582 tq
Illini is offline   Reply With Quote