MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-12-2001, 11:40 AM   #1
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Post Please help with Fuel Pump problem.

Well, this Thursday on my way to work, I pulled out of my driveway and started off to work, but didn't get 15 feet when all of the sudden my car stopped dead where it was. I tried to crank it back up, but it wouldn't start. The engine would turn over, but it didn't seem like it was either getting fuel or spark. I then turned it off again and turned the key on, but didn't hear the intank pump prime. No whine, no noise, no nothing. So, I think my fuel pump died on me, but it wasn't showing any signs of giving up when this happened. I started reading up and trouble shooting and found that there is a fusible link by the starter motor relay that should fix the problem, but I can't find it. I have dropped the tank and pulled the pump and everything seems fine. It is a 190lph Holley that I put in only 5 or 6 months ago, so it shouldn't have died on me this quick. Can anyone point me in a good general area to start? Is there a way I can test the pump to see if it is bad? Where exactly is the fusible link for the fuel pump located around the starter motor relay? any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joe

------------------
MAC equal length headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, 373's, March ram-air kit, underdrive pulleys, 73mm MAF, 75mm TB, Saleen Intake (ported), Edelbrock 6037 heads (ported, polished, 3 angle valve-job 255CFM @.500), 1.6 FMS RR's, Wolverine 1087 Cam, 24lb injectors, MSD 6AL, Subframe connectors, Griggs Adustable Lower Control Arms, Lakewood 50/50 shocks, SSM Upper Control Arms... and probably some more in there I forgot
gt93mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 11:45 AM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

Boy, you just dove right into it. Did you check the inertia switch and the fuel pump relay before you took the tank out?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 11:49 AM   #3
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Hey Jim.. I did check the inertia switch and it seemed fine. That was the first thing I thought of. The red button should be depressed, right? Now my problem is that I can't find the fuel pump relay. Can you tell me where it is. Yeah, I did just jump right in because I wasn't too worried about it. I have a Procharger P-1SC and I need to put a 255plh in there anyway. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-12-2001, 12:13 PM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

Yeah, the inertia switch is basically like a circuit breaker. Just press it in and if you hear it click, it was tripped, otherwise that's not your problem. It's also possible for it to just be bad, though.

If the 93 is anything like the 89, which I think it is, the fuel pump relay is under the drivers seat. It's mounted to the floor. I would think that when you turn the ignition switch on that it should click.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 12:16 PM   #5
toms89
Registered Member

The fuel pump relay should be located under the drivers seat. Are you running a booster pump with the procharger??
toms89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 10:46 PM   #6
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys.. I will check tomorrow and see if the relay under the seat is bad. Oh, and Tom, no I am not running a booster pump (inline) with the Procharger. I was told that running 8lbs, I would be ok with an in-tank. What do you think?
Old 05-13-2001, 10:29 AM   #7
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

I think the inline pump wouldn't hurt , but with the 255lph it should be fine with 8lbs, Procharger says that right in there literature. So hows it going? Find the problem yet?

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 11:09 AM   #8
88GT5.013.02

I'll be it is the relay. I had to take out the seat to get mine out. My hands and arms are too big to fit under there to unclip the relay and pull it off of that little clip it is on.

The fusible links usually don't go bad that I have heard of, but you never know. I believe it is soldered into a bunch of wires and to a big yellow wire. Trace the yellow wire down in the wire loom off of the starter relay and you should find an orange with light blue wire. That is the power wire for the fuel pump.

Jason
Old 05-13-2001, 02:04 PM   #9
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Well, I went out to check the relay under the driver's side seat, and I couldn't find it. Is it under the carpet, or just under the seat?
Old 05-13-2001, 04:42 PM   #10
LX5liter
dude5l

In '93 and some '92s they moved the relay to the engine compartment. I believe its on the passenger side shock tower, but it might be the drivers side s/t.

------------------
B.R.
L.X. 5.0 coupe
Cruise control,power mirrors,...and Thats it!
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 08:17 PM   #11
gt93mustang
Registered Member

LX5Liter-Thanks a whole bunch for helping me out with the relay location. I would have been all week trying to find it under my seat if you hadn't told me otherwise. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. I ran over to AutoZone and picked up a new Fuel Pump Relay and installed it, but still nothing. Time to move on to plan 'b'. Anyone have any ideas what that might be? I hate having my daily driver down for this long... and I miss the blower whine already. Could it be the computer? I have already checked the ground from the battery to the fender. Guess I'll invest in a 255lph now. JD's has them for under $100.00. Thanks again for any suggestions.
Old 05-14-2001, 11:57 AM   #12
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Anyone else have any more ideas or suggestions? Thanks again.