MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-10-2001, 09:00 AM   #1
5.0-man
Registered Member

Exclamation NEED FUEL SYSTEM ADVISE!

I'm switching to a carb combo and pulling off the injection. I'm going with a holley 650 DP and and Edelbrock Victor JR. My combo is below in my signature. I need advise on the pump, and regulator. I want to go electric and don't know if I need a 110 or 140 or bigger and does it really matter? I don't want to go overboard with this but I want to have room for future mods. I have a new Harwood 12 gallon cell that I'm putting in the trunk, and I am running -8an braided line from the cell to the carb. And do I need a return line to the cell for street driving? As for the filter, I'm gonna go with the blue in-line Paxton filter. Thanks 5.0
------------------
1989 LX Coupe, N/A 306. Pro-M 77mm,70mm T.body,Edelbrock RPM intake,TrickFlow heads,Crane cam,Eagle rods,10.1 pistons,Hooker long tubes,MSD 6-AL,C-4 W/3800 stall,4.11 gears,SSM's 12.33 @ 110 mph. Car is still being dialed in. Pictures and info on my webpage. (LA Mustangs) http://www.louisianamustangs.com

[This message has been edited by 5.0-man (edited 03-11-2001).]
5.0-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 11:29 AM   #2
Five0
Registered Member

You can use the fuel pump you have but it won't work good and will give you a lot of problems, and you will probably have to use two regulators to bring the fuel pressure down enough to run it. You will need a high volume low-pressure pump like a Holley blue.
It is a external pump and you will need a new pickup tube to put in the tank.
You can use the same filter you have now or get a different one; it's up to you. Any carb style regulator will work fine. I would recommend running new lines but if you cannot afford it the stock ones will work.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
12.565 @109.38mph 1.764 60ft

[This message has been edited by Five0 (edited 03-10-2001).]
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 12:10 PM   #3
5.0-man
Registered Member

Before Harwood stopped making fuel cells, I invested in one and bought a 12 gallon that fits in the trunk. So my stock tank is coming off and I plan to run -8an braided line from the tank to the carb and probably a smaller return line to the fuel cell. I do drive this car on the street. I'm not sure which pump is good. I heard Holleys have been redesigned. I was thinking on the 140gph (black) one. I also don't know what kinda filter will not restrict fuel flow. How about the in-line type like that blue Paxton? Or is the canister type like Mallory or Barry Grant better?? I'm not buying cheap stuff or "rigging" this thing up, but I don't need to go overboard with it either. I want a setup that will not have me chasing gremlins like the fuel injected setup did. Also, to run a return line back to the fuel cell, do I need a 2 or 3 port regulator? All input will be appreciated! Five0 you must be on here alot, you replied to more than one of my posts. Thanks alot! I never wanted to here about carbs before, but this thing has had me in circles for about a year now so I decided...what the hell, It's worth a try! I'll switch this thing over to a carb setup and see what it does. My worst fear is that it will slow down. My injected setup was ALWAYS running rich, hard to start, etc... So I think the carb would be better for me. 5.0

------------------
1989 LX Coupe, N/A 306. Pro-M 77mm,70mm T.body,Edelbrock RPM intake,TrickFlow heads,Crane cam,Eagle rods,10.1 pistons,Hooker long tubes,MSD 6-AL,C-4 W/3800 stall,4.11 gears,SSM's 12.33 @ 110 mph. Car is still being dialed in. Pictures and info on my webpage. (LA Mustangs) http://www.louisianamustangs.com
5.0-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 12:55 PM   #4
Five0
Registered Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those filters and the 140gph fuel pump will work fine. I don't think you will slow down but you might lose a little low end but you should pick it back up on the high end.
That is better on the street anyway because you will be less likely to spin the tires as much. I was told that you don’t need to run a return line with the Holley blue but I don't know about the pump you have. I am no expert but I think you will need the two-port regulator with no return and three-port regulator with a return. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
I just got the Holley blue and I get to install it today. You and me run about the same times and what is funny is our cars look almost identical.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
Old 03-11-2001, 10:15 AM   #5
Five0
Registered Member

Actually I am wrong about the regulator. The two port would be fuel in and fuel out but if you want to run a fuel pressure gage you should get the three port regulator because you will have an extra port and if you don't use the extra port you can always block it off.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX