MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-26-2002, 08:35 AM   #1
RPM427
Registered Member

Default exhaust wrap

Has anyone had any expirence with header wrap? My headers are touching the starter and the clutch cable. I put heat shielding around the starter and cable, but they started to smoke after a few hours. I think I will have to wrap the entire headers since it is touching.

What is the best way to remove full length headers? from the top or the bottom. Thanks!

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:46 AM   #2
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Exhaust wrap really does work..good i might add. I've never heard any bad things about them. Alot of the guys at my local track use them and have good results. They help save your starter too from Heat soak Removing the headers would be easier from the bottom. I know that, that is the easiest way to remove mine.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:53 AM   #3
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

I heard header wrap makes the headers rot out faster. Have you looked into the wire wrap (not sure what its called) jegs and summit sell a special velcro wrap that stands up to like 1200 degrees. they also have velcro wraps for starters. Good luck
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:58 AM   #4
RPM427
Registered Member

The rumor that the wraps make your headers rot out faster is becuase the wrap can retain water/dirt. Most kits (good kits anyway) come with a rubber/silicon type coating you use after you wrap your headers.

My headers are kinda rusty now, What can I do to remove it prior to wrapping? Should I paint them first?

I tried that wire wrap. It started to smoke after a few hours. I conducted a test to see exactly what was smoking. I took a propane touch and used it to heat up the wrap. The kevlar just glowed and the tin/aluminum foil coating started to flack off. It was the Stitching that started to melt and smoke. it is not designed to be touching the header, just close to it.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!

Last edited by RPM427; 08-26-2002 at 09:15 AM..
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 11:08 AM   #5
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

I dont know how well it would hold up to heat but theres a chemical that you can buy at any parts store that converts rust into primer, but im not sure once its dry what it will do when the headers heat up. Id just wire brush them and buy some high heat paint. Go to www.eastwoodcompany.com they have special paint to use on exhaust manifolds. Ive seen that silicone spray, sounds like the way to go. hey with header wrap you supposed to gain a few ponies, killn two birds with one stone eh.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 11:13 PM   #6
HotRoddin
cranky old man

From everything i've heard or read, header wraps are a bad thing. They retain to much heat. The headers get much hotter... that causes them to get brittle and oxidize much faster. Some of the header mfg. state that using header wrap will void your warranty, so apparently the people that make the headers are pretty sure the wrap isn't a good thing.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 11:18 PM   #7
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

yea, wrap makes lets your headers get way to hot. Stay away from it.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote