MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2002, 09:04 PM   #1
DirtKing
Registered Member

Default fuel pressure education

I need one. What effect does lowering or raising fuel pressure have on a set of injectors?? I understand the whole boost/vacuum reference issue. I also understand the eec iv will begin to compensate for altered FP under closed loop operations. All things equal does raising FP on a 19 lb injector 5lb turn it into a 24. How about the reverse? Any thought would be appreciated. I'm curious why ford picked the static FP that they did?
Old 03-18-2002, 09:25 PM   #2
LOWKEY
Registered Member

There is a formula for calculating injector size @ different fp's in the link below.

http://www.pro-flow.com/mustmath.htm

http://www.pro-flow.com/t-car.html

Stroked
Poked &
BLOWN

low 11's and it goes around corners too

Parts for Sale!!
http://www.lowkey.stangnet.com/catalog.html
LOWKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 10:15 PM   #3
ArtMan
Registered Member

Unhappy Good Questions

I often wondered why the stock fuel pressure is 39 psi too. I'll bet it has something to do with the injector design rather than the fuel pump design. In any case, that's what Ford has decided all stock EECs will assume is present at the injectors. When you increase fuel pressure through the use of an adjustable fuel pressure regulator more fuel flow occurs. The computer doesn't detect this during Wide Open Throttle operation, because the O2 sensors are shut off.

This extra fuel can produce extra horsepower if accompanied by extra air. But there's a limit. Increasing fuel pressure excessively degrades the spray pattern of the injector and poor fuel delivery can occur. So, I'm not sure if you can effectively turn 19# injectors into 24s. The relationship between pressure and flow is not linear.

Generally, if you feel the need for 24# injectors you should just upgrade, because you will likely do other mods that require them. Fooling the computer just goes so far.
ArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 11:34 PM   #4
DirtKing
Registered Member

thanks for the input...I'm not running the eek 4, but I'm interested in the theory behind it and fuel injection in general...anyone else??
Old 03-18-2002, 11:52 PM   #5
DirtKing
Registered Member

by the way, excellent link lowkey....interesting to see that it takes an aweful lot of pressure to increase flow.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:57 PM   #6
exgmguy
Registered Member

When I hit the spray my injectors see a tad under 100 psi.

They will go static if ran at that pressure for more than a 1/4 mile at a time.

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 02:17 PM   #7
RED92LX50
Registered Member

I have seen mentioned on other posts that the computer (over time - not sure how long) will adjust to the modified fuel pressure, effectively resetting it??? Is this true?

Basically, it was stated that you could adjust your FP at the dyno to get peak HP, but after a while the computer would adjust to offset your changes (effectively cancelling your FP adjustment). Any truth to any of this?
R.H.C. #51
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 02:40 PM   #8
FdMust88
Registered Member

Although the site:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection.htm

may not directly answer your question(s), I felt as though there is enough valuable information listed on the site worth sharing with others.. They have some pretty cool stuff all throughout the site; check it out...
91LX, Modifications include: MAC Cold Air Induction Kit, MAC Headers and Cat-Back Exhaust, BBK H-Pipe, Edelbrock 70mm T.B., Pro-M 75mm MAF, MSD Wires and coil, NGK plugs, Pro 5.0 shifter, Underdrive Pullies, Kirban Fuel Pressure Regulator, Koni Adj. Sport struts & shocks, FMS springs, Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates, Strut tower brace, Kirkey Seats, and some Autometer gauges. Probably a few things I've forgotten also..

1991 Mustang LX
FdMust88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 10:40 PM   #9
juiceman
Registered Member

raising fuel pressure will in turn raise injector flow rate and vise versa. ford likely picked that stock pressure based on those injectors flowing 19 lbs. hr. at said press. for info and some formulas that will help and explain more go to www.msdignition.com click on fuel management
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 04:01 PM   #10
ArtMan
Registered Member

Default 87-95

Red,

I don't think so. The '87 to '95 Stangs did not adjust fuel pressure through the EEC. As noted above the EEC did re-adjust pulse width during closed loop operation, but that's not what we're talking about here. WOT only.

Not sure about '96 and newer, though.
ArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote