MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-04-2001, 01:38 AM   #1
LunaticLucas
Registered Member

Lightbulb Looking for some ideas

I'm probably gonna buy my uncle's '91 Mustang 5.0 once I've earned enough money and I was wondering what some inexpensive mods would be to increase stuff like HP or accel. I'm pretty new to cars and I really only know stuff that has to do with appearance. Thanks for your help.
LunaticLucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 04:55 PM   #2
Capri306

Welcome to MustangWorks!!! Really what I have found to be the best method is just hang out here on the 'boards. Read everything and listen to everybody. There's several Mustang modification books on the market too. If you're new to working on cars (as in under-hood mechanical stuff), pick up a Haynes manual. I still refer to it myself time to time.

If you want biggest bang-for-the-buck parts, I think everyone here will tell you rear end gears are THE place to start. Closely following would be bumping the ignition timing (along with higher octane gas), getting a K&N air filter, and doing regular tuneups including oxygen sensors & PCV valve. After that it'll take heads, a cam, intake, exhaust, etc. Good luck in your quest for more power.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 06:51 PM   #3
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Remove The Air Silencer, Set TPS To .98, Bump Timing To Around 14*, Get 3.55/3.73 Gears, New Shifter (Dont Know If Its Stick).....

Good Luck!!!

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
3.08's, No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe, K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), Removed Air SilencerMy Stang
My Site (Not Done Yet)
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 02:39 PM   #4
K.C. 5.0
Registered Member

I started off with 3.73 gears, off road h-pipe, mufflers, and pulleys. K&N filter was already on it.

------------------
95gt 80k, MSD 6AL, MSD coil, pulleys, fpr, cold air kit, off road h-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73, 9mm wires, mega bite jr lowers, kennybrown subframe connectors, edelbrock performer intake, 70mm TB, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors Aluminum Driveshaft, Tri-Ax shifter.
K.C. 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote