MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-18-2003, 10:58 AM   #1
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

Default Help with buying new car!! PLEASE READ ASAP and reply

I am going to offer a guy money for this mustang today.. I need to know your opinions on the motor (I dont know much about them). How fast you think it is in the 1/4 mile? What would you pay for it if it is in mint condition? How is this motor? Anything you think I need to worry about if I owned it? Thanks so much, I am calling the guy shortly.

· 102000 Miles · 8 - Cyl.
· 2 doors · Manual transmission
· Used · Clear title
· Blue - Metallic Exterior - Gray - Light Interior

Options
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

· Power Locks · Power Windows · Driver Airbag
· CD Player

Vehicle Description

This is a very nice 1990 mustang lx 5.0 hatchback. The reason I am relisting is because buyer backed out of auction. If you are looking for a very fast driver then this is the car for you. A lot of time and money was invested to make this car what it is. I will give you a list of everything that was done to the car. Complete short block prepared by P and W automotive which includes blueprinting and balancing, new pistons , rings and all new bearings and high flow oil pump. Holley systemax engine kit including 1.94 intake and 1.60 size valve aluminum heads. Roller rockers. 512 lift cam. And complete upper and lower intake. 30# injectors. BBK 155lph intank pump and adj fuel regulator. pro M bullet mass air meter with bbk cold air intake. 70 mm throttle body and egr plate. jacobs ignition system. edelbrock water pump. bbk 1 5\8 longtube headers with matching h pipe with cats and flowmaster 2 chamber exhaust. stock t-5 trans with b and m ripper shifter and a new cobra clutch. 3.55 gears with rebuilt limited slip. bbk subframe connectors welded in place. new brakes all the way around.... disk in front drum in back. 4 new bfg g-force rubber on each corner 225/50/16 in front and 245/50/16 in back. New radiator, starter, hoses, power steering rack, motor mounts, headlite assembly and probably some other things that I am forgetting. Interior is pretty much stock except for the white faced gauges and the pillar pod with water, oil and volts. sony cd player with jbl speakers in front and pioneers in back with help of a 10 inch jbl sub mounted in the spare tire hole and a 400 watt amp. I also have a ton of spare stock parts and things which I will give with the car. Ive had this car to the track a few times and could only manage a 13.2 at 105 due to not hooking up at launch. This is a fast, good looking and reliable car for anybody to drive. Ive added up all my reciepts and it totals over 10000

Vehicle Condition

overall great condition. the only spot that catches my attention is on the driver door lock which looks like someone tryed to break in with no luck so the paint is a little chipped. Also on the driver side top of the fender next to the hood gap there is a small chip. Driver door weatherstripping could be replaced. The stripes are just stickers so if you dont like them they should come off easilly. The engine and everything listed was done at 97000 miles last september. Other than that just give it a little cleaning and it will look great. You wont be disappointed.
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!

Last edited by 1jimmy__d; 01-18-2003 at 12:54 PM..
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 08:15 PM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Need more data !
Will he provide receipts for all he says it has (not just say he will)
How much is he asking for this car?
Just remember this ... when buying anything, especially used stuff from somebody you don't know really well, take everything they say with a grain of salt. Also remember the old addage, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Don't let your desire for the car cloud your judgement and you should be able to figure it out for yourself.
Sounds like the engine has been thought out pretty well. If, (and its a big if) it has everything he says it does !
Thats my $.02 worth
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 09:57 PM   #3
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

he has come down to 6500 for it. i have seen many photos and it is in pretty good shape. is the motor a good one? anything i should ask him before making the purchase? I already know all the basic answers. ill try to attach a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car 2.jpg (33.5 KB, 73 views)
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-18-2003, 09:58 PM   #4
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

another photo-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car.jpg (26.8 KB, 76 views)

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-18-2003, 10:13 PM   #5
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Tecar looks clean except for te stripes. Ifit was me, I would take the stripes off. The ngine looks pretty clean also. How's the interior? I paid $4000 for my 90 gt, it had a crate motor 306 in it but it was ragged out. If you think it is worth it, buy it. Just my .02.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:38 PM   #6
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

interior is really clean. think the stripes are just ugly or all scratched up? they have been on for 3 years, if i take them off, you think it will be faded? here is a pic of the interior-

any other opinions? I think 6500 is worth it. I would sell my rag top and buy this and it would cost me the differnce of 2 grand roughly. I was going to spend at least 3 grand on a motor for my rag top, now i dont have to and it is a hatch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car3.jpg (26.2 KB, 64 views)

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-19-2003, 01:06 AM   #7
429mustang
Registered Member

If it really runs at least ow 13's, and motor/body/interior looks solid, so it up. The first thing I'd do is (after a few burnouts) drive it back to my house and start taking off the stripes, then wash/buff it. Then I'd go burn off the rest of the tires.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:33 AM   #8
DemonGT
Registered Member

mmm you dont know if that motor is good or not and you dont know much about them but yet you were going to build a new motor for your rag top??
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:55 AM   #9
crazypete
Registered Member

Look, real simple. Does it look good? (I think so)

Start the b1tch up and see if she can lay serious rubber. No point in the man listing the mods is she doesn't move. Performance speaks for itself.

Everyone is talking about removing stripes. What are they, glued on or tape? If so, take 500 off the price because there's no way in hell you will get them off without pulling some paint with it or scratching it up in the process and everyone's right, it will be faded.

10 grand is a bit much, 6500 sounds actually pretty good even though the miles are a bit high.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:04 PM   #10
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

well! looks like i am buying the car for 6400. Looks clean to me and the motor is 5000 miles new. He has the paperwork on the motor so he must be telling the truth. I am finalizing the deal AFTER I see it and test drive it first.

1)From talking to people I know it sounds as if the car should run 13.2 or better with this combo. Anyone else have this combo?????????

2)Opinions on removing the yellow tape down center? Yes, No, or NOWAY??? maybe ill set up a poll.

3)DO these kits really produce 350 horsepower??? (systemax II)

DEMON, I was going to have someone build the motor for me after seeking advice on what type of head, block, etc.. to get. Now I don't have to worry about it.

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-20-2003, 12:04 AM   #11
gofastmercury
Registered Member

I take strips off all the time at work. Yes they will be faded underneth, but some polish will fix that. They should come off fairly easily if you heat them up with a heat gun. Not too hot! The glue will come off with solvent. If you don't want to do it, just take it to a body shop, shouldn't cost too much, maybe 200ish.

Its you car, but pls take them off...
corrects to:13.86@100
66 merc comet351w, isky roller 600 lift 268/260@.050, vic jr. 700DP, 5000stall, 4.56's c-4, 3400lbs with driver
12.3@110 @ 4000ft 1.69 60 ft
corrects to:11.69@115
gofastmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:23 AM   #12
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

hey go fast, i live in new york. want to come meet me at he border and ill let you take them off of rme thi ssummer???? do you think it would look dumber if i take them off then discover that it is really faded under there? ANyone able to answer the previous questions as well? Thanks,

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-20-2003, 12:54 PM   #13
Tim89LXvert
Registered Member

One small point you may want to verify is the pistons used in the rebuild. Verify that they are forged, like the original. Not a deal breaker, but nice to know. Any detail you can find on the rebuild (rods crank magnafluxed, etc.) would be helpful. Looks like a nice car.

I would lose the stripes though. Not a big fan of them anyway, but those yellow ones are way too much IMHO.

Good luck!
Engine: GT40 al. heads, Cobra intake, TFS cam, 1.7RR, etc.... LOLDrivetrain: SPEC II clutch & FMS Billet flywheel, Pro 5.0 shifter w/Cobra knob and aluminum driveshaft through 3.73:1 gears.Chassis: 4 wheel disk w/Cobra front brakes, GT rears and 2001 "Bullitt" wheels
Rear: MM adjustable LCAs with Griggs springs, KYB shocks. Front: Koni red struts, FMS "C" springs and full poly bushings. Full length MM sub frame connectors, steeda 2pt. K-brace.Misc.: 130a alt. upgrade, R134a conversion.
Photos of my car
Tim89LXvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:52 PM   #14
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

OKOK I understand that the stripes are not peoples favorite thing ot lok at. beyond that though, the car looks good. Can eanyone answer the aforementioned? Is there anyway that I can tell is the new motor was broken in correctly when I see it? He will be driving it 2 1/2 hours to meet me, so that could be a good sign. Any thoughts?

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #15
Tim89LXvert
Registered Member

Just look for smoke, leaks, etc. The only way to know for sure would be to pull the head and check the cylinder walls, maybe pull the crank to check some bearings..... so I don't think he'll let you do that
Engine: GT40 al. heads, Cobra intake, TFS cam, 1.7RR, etc.... LOLDrivetrain: SPEC II clutch & FMS Billet flywheel, Pro 5.0 shifter w/Cobra knob and aluminum driveshaft through 3.73:1 gears.Chassis: 4 wheel disk w/Cobra front brakes, GT rears and 2001 "Bullitt" wheels
Rear: MM adjustable LCAs with Griggs springs, KYB shocks. Front: Koni red struts, FMS "C" springs and full poly bushings. Full length MM sub frame connectors, steeda 2pt. K-brace.Misc.: 130a alt. upgrade, R134a conversion.
Photos of my car
Old 01-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #16
Simi Stang

Default purchase

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim89LXvert
One small point you may want to verify is the pistons used in the rebuild. Verify that they are forged, like the original. Not a deal breaker, but nice to know. Any detail you can find on the rebuild (rods crank magnafluxed, etc.) would be helpful.
Tim89LXvert- 1jimmy_d already stated that he has all the paperwork on the new motor...so it all sounds legit.

1jimmy_d- I have a similar combination to the Holley motor that you have. But mine is Edelbrock. Mine runs 13.2 at our nearest track (which is 2700ft. altitude)...so that corrects to around a 12.8. So I'd say the power of the Holley motor is around what it should be. When you meet the guy bring a rachet & spark plug socket and pull the front plug on the driver's side for a quick look at what is going on inside the motor. Do you know how to read plugs? It's an easy way to see if everything is running correctly. also, look to see if the check engine light is on. If it is...you may want to do the quick self test on the EEC-IV and pull the codes to make sure there is nothing major going on with bad sensors, smog equipment (if that is a factor for where you live?). If there is...you could always ask the current owner to replace anything that needs tended to before you make the final purchase. Good luck, and let us know how it moves out!
Old 01-20-2003, 05:07 PM   #17
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

Thanks for all replies. I think bringing a rachet is a good idea. I know that if it has oil on it, it is a bad sign right? too dark=rich, light color=rich?? I'm probably totally worng, but will pull it anyways.

thanks again

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-21-2003, 12:49 AM   #18
gofastmercury
Registered Member

About that strip thing. No I will not drive 2000 miles to take them of for you! And another thing, they will not be faded under the stripes, in fact, the paint there will be perfect. Its the rest will look faded beside that shiny stuff. So if the car is really shiny, polishing it up so you don't see the faded/shiny line will be easy.

good luck, sound like a good buy.
corrects to:13.86@100
66 merc comet351w, isky roller 600 lift 268/260@.050, vic jr. 700DP, 5000stall, 4.56's c-4, 3400lbs with driver
12.3@110 @ 4000ft 1.69 60 ft
corrects to:11.69@115
gofastmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:44 PM   #19
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

thats what I meant about being faded! hopefully it isnt too faded. We'l see. I emailed him about the motor and here is what he said

The pistons are the stock forged type...... the spark plugs are slightly brown and I can assure you that the motor burns no oil whatsoever and that the motor is set up correctly...... so anyway let me know of anything else.... thanks

I think I made a good buy regardless of the stickers. I just might keep them to piss off everyone who sees them1! I always made fun of people with strips on their cars, now I am one of them! But as long as I can hit 13.2 or faster that's ok with me!!!!!!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 01-21-2003, 03:52 PM   #20
Tim89LXvert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1jimmy__d
I think I made a good buy regardless of the stickers. I
So you made the deal???