MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-06-2003, 10:23 AM   #1
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Angry Smog Pump problem help!!-This thead works

When i took my car into emmisions i had failed, but the guy said that it is burning all the fuel but the air is to condensed. When i did my engine rebuild i noticed that when i turned the pump it was easy and didnt really have a suction or stoppy feel to it. I put my hand on the bar that connects to the head and when i spun it really fast no air came out. Could this be the problem with the emisions and it also makes a high whining noise, when i had my car on it sounds like i am running 30psi supercharger! And if so should i go to a junk yard to get one or buy a new one and how much? -Thanks!!!
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:06 PM   #2
Damo
Registered Member

Cool Edelbrock Victor racing heads #7721

Hi, had some questions on these heads. I am looking at putting them on a street driven 302 windsor. At the moment the windsor has 289 heads, flattop pistons (I don't know what they are), screw in studs with roller rockers and stainless valves of some description. Would anyone recommend these heads for street driven? as they are a race head. My engine is very worked, blueprint with a fairly big cam. the edelbrock site states that the heads require special edelbrock pistons and special edelbrock screw in studs for the rockers. Is this right or are edelbrock just trying to flog their stuff? What I want to idealy do is just transfer the gear off my heads (valves, springs, collets, studs, push rod guides etc) onto these heads. If I have to change pistons so be it but I would prefer to put the heads only on for now. Can I do this? If anyone has any experience with these heads or has on opinion on them please reply. I am in Australia and getting alloy heads is difficult. These just happen to be for sale from someone who imported them. I don't really have the option of changing brands.

Thanks
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 10:05 AM   #3
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

IMO: I would not put the Vic Jr's on your 302. Those heads are too big for your motor right now. I know this because I have them but on a 347. I would go with the performer heads instead.

About the RR's and pistions... that is not true. I have a 347 short block from FMS and Crane Gold Series 1.6 RR's on my motor and I don't have any problems. Just about every company you run into says that this part works the best with their parts... They say this for two reasons, they benchmark their parts with their parts, and for marketing purposes.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
Damo
Registered Member

Smile thanks but more q's

Thanks so much for the info. I am a little curious though. You say they are too big yet a lot of people put cleveland heads on (boss) and get a sweet engine putting out gobs of horses. Cleveland heads have ridiculous port sizes but with no worries. My engine will pull 8000rpm, thats a considerable flow at these figures. I am also carburetted. I am guessing you engine is injected. Perhaps this would have an effect?
I would like to know a little more about you eng. I am putting out about 300 horses at the moment at about 6800rpm. My restriction I believe is with the manifold and carbureuttor being too small. Power dies off. I would like about 500hp. Still recommend the RPM heads? Also I have dipped out on the victor heads anyway, the guy went back to the states and took them with him. Ultimately I would like to buy a mass of gear from the US.

Alloy heads,
5sp Tremec
manifold
Other bits and pieces.

know anyone who could help out?
thanks so much
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:20 AM   #5
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

If you click the link in my sig, you'll be able to see all my goodies

I haven't dynoed my stang yet since I got the new motor in, but I should be putting out about 450RWHP... That's according to the guy that helped me decide what setup I should go with. I think I'll get somewhere between 400-425. He has his own 900HP drag car, so I'm inclined to go with him. I'm thinking smaller number just so I'm not disapointed when I actually dyno her.

Well, now that you bring up the fact your pushing 300 now and plan to go up to 500+, then those heads would of been fine for you. I've never seen a 302 put out 500HP on motor before. My advice is stick with the same brand with the intake and heads. Typically, companys port match their products. This way you know you'll get flow rates and won't run into any restrictions. Check out ARP heads... They are suppose to be just as good as the Edelbrocks
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote