MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-26-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Default Leaky power steering pressure line problem

I just put in a new power steering pressure hose and it leaking already. THe instructions say not to torque past 15lbs. Any advice on how to stop the leak? The nylon o-ring doesn't seem to be getting the job done...this is really start to pi$$ me off bigtime. It's leaking right out of the thred onto the ground with a constant drip.
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Instructions??? Who reads those??? That thing ain't tight enough bro. Problem is once it starts leaking, it's not gonna quit. You need a new nylon washer, and tighten that puppy up. Don't get carried away, you're playing with aluminum, so don't overtighten. It's a careful line there.

Also check the threads in the pump itself for damage, and the threads on the line. You may be barking up the wrong tree.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

I agree with jester on Crank that B*tch on there but don't strip the threads...
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:22 AM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

OK....I doubled up on the nylon o-rings, and tightened eveything real good. Now I see a bit of black s%*t coming out of the pressure fitting at the pump itself (opposite the end that was leaking yesterday which is now not leaking). It looks like whatever seal inside the line is starting to get pushed out...very dark black sustance. I stopped the leak at the rack (thanks for the advice), and now it seems like a new one has started. That extra 10 horse via the removal of power steering is starting to sound better
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Old 08-27-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
crazypete
Registered Member

Unscrew both halfway and do your best to get the PS fluid away from the threads then rtv silicone the threads and screw it back in. Solid nylon washer seals are useless. Then drain the PS fluid and replace it with ATF. The atf has detergent which will clean out the system. Sounds like something else is not right....maybe even a restriction that is raising pressure?
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:15 AM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Would a mismatched pulley setup casue any problems? I have March performance pulley's on the PS, the Crank, and the Water pump. But the Alt pulley is stock. What type of restrictions do you mean? Like having something inside the system causing a blockage?

Quote:
Originally posted by crazypete
Unscrew both halfway and do your best to get the PS fluid away from the threads then rtv silicone the threads and screw it back in. Solid nylon washer seals are useless. Then drain the PS fluid and replace it with ATF. The atf has detergent which will clean out the system. Sounds like something else is not right....maybe even a restriction that is raising pressure?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:24 AM   #7
crazypete
Registered Member

I was thinking more of internal passages than external pullies and such. Can't hurt to clean her out from the inside. Other than ATF being 2x more expensive, it works just as well or better (my PS seems to work better after I ATF'd it).
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote