MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
icantdo55
Registered Member

Default Engine builders please open.

I would like to ask you a few questions on a new A4 block I just bought. It’s a freshly machined .040 over A4 block with the cam bearing already pressed in. It has been notched for a stroker crank.

What I’m trying to build is a stroker with ARF 205 or Victor Jr’s and using my Vortech S-trim. I want a 8.5 –9 to 1 compression ratio. The S-trim on my stock short block with iron GT-40 heads is putting down 450 RWHP. I’d like to see 600 RWHP from this new motor. It will be a weekend driver and needs to retain A/C and its street manors.

1) Do cranks come in different diameters? Are the main bearings offered in different diameters? If so how do I know what size I need?

2) Can I buy a zero or 28oz balanced rotating assembly and just install it? Or do I need to have it balanced? Who sells these of items?

3) What specialty tools do I need to build this motor?

4) With a stroker crank and 8.5 CR and .040 bore what cubic inch displacement will I have?

5) Do I get the heads O-Ringed to hold the gaskets? I’ll be using ARP studs.

Thanks!
icantdo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

1) Yes, different cranks have different main bearing sizes but the standard 302 is 2.249. Your block should be set up for that so I'd stick with that size.

2) You probably could throw one together but it would be silly. I would have everything checked to make sure the crank is balanced correctly to the total bobweight.

3) A good set of dial bore gauges, a 1-2 and 2-3 micrometers, ring compressor, torque wrench, degree wheel, dial indicator... That will get you started.

4) It depends on what the stroke of the crank is. CR has nothing to do with cubic inch.

5) If you are talking about the Fel Pro Locwires, I dont recommend them. I'd recommend Cometics which are Multi Layer Steel and dont require a receiver groove in the head, nor o-ringing of the block.

Once you have all of your parts bought you should take them to a competent machine shop so they can check the deck height and the bore sizes. For parts I'd talk to Wild Bill at Pro Power in Ft. Lauderdale. http://www.propowerparts.com/ They are good guys to deal with and they can sell you a very good 331 or 347 stroker kit. What pullies are you going to be using with your S-Trim? If you decide to sell the A-4, you have a buyer right here.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote