MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-12-2003, 10:33 PM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Rebuild / Build Up

Ok, so i'm getting tired of having a stock 5.0. I've got a 91, M/T, a/c delete, and a k&n, and a flex fan. Heh...sorta mod'd
Anyways, this winter i'm planning to get some longtubes and a full exhaust setup. Next winter I want to plan a rebuild and build up. I will be working on a budget of about $4k. I'm either thinking of a supercharger buld up, turbo build up, or just a N/A build up, which in all i think would be a little cheaper. Just wondering what kind of setups would work best, and be in my money range. The motor right now has 126k on it, and is still running strong. Any suggestions, tips, or parts would be great. Thanks alot guys.
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:48 AM   #2
tmoss
Registered Member

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the Kenne Bell screw-type supercharger for the stock lower (port the lower) or the one for the GT40 lower.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #3
Rosco
Registered Member

yeah...i'm kind of leaning towards supercharging. Would any other kind of heads, other then stock help me out alot with getting me some more power out of a s/c? also, i was thinking about building up the low end, and while doing that replacing the pistons and connecting rods for some serious psi from a supercharger.. Any suggestions?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 08-13-2003, 05:30 PM   #4
tmoss
Registered Member

Now your talkin about a lot more money - heads and a rebuild. I suggested the KB because it's boost comes on at 2,000 rpm and hnags in there until red line, unlike a centrifugal that makes boost later. This low end boost will mask the stock head flow deficiency fairly well. A cheap set of step up heads would be some GT40P heads ($400-500) or you can jump to aluminum heads at $1,000+. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the GT40P/KB combo.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:38 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Default Do it right

If you are going to do a rebuild...save some money up...and do it right the first time. Otherwise you'll regret it. I'd splurge another $500 and go with some aluminum heads. Another $100-$200 on top of that will get you some nice AFR alum. heads...which in my opinion are the best aluminum head on the market right now for a 5.0. Build it from the bottom up N?A with an aftermarket cam, heads, manifold. Just keep it in the 9:2-9:5 compression range. Then if you aren't satisfied with the 300-340hp you are making on a built, alum. headed N/A motor...you could always slap a supercharger on there. I'm a big fan of N/A with a little of the funny gas for those "tough" competitors!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:25 AM   #6
Rosco
Registered Member

is there anything i would want to keep from the stock engine to use during the rebuild? or should i be looking at replacing everything? and also wondering how much power the stock bottom end can handle. Exspecially with 126k miles already on everything
Old 08-14-2003, 11:44 AM   #7
Simi Stang

Default rebuild

When I got my motor rebuilt I replaced everything except the crank and rods. I got them shot peened & polished to help make them a little stronger. Went with ARP rod and head bolts, new lifters a windage tray...the rest of my mods are in my sig. As for how much the stock bottom end can handle...it can handle a lot. There are plenty of guys running in the 10s & 11s with superchargers and stock bottom ends. But with a 126K on the odometer...that's a judgement call. You could always slap some new heads and a manifold on your current set up. Even with the stock cam you'll be making tons more power than you are now. Then when you're ready for the rebuild or your motor starts getting tired...rebuild the bottom end then, get a new cam and lifters...and reuse the same heads and manifold. If you are eventually going to go with aluminum heads...I'd spend the extra cash for the AFRs.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:52 AM   #8
Rosco
Registered Member

That actually sounds like a good plan. Actually, i think if i was going to setup with new heads and intake, i might as well go with a cam...in consideration they're not too expensive to the point where i wouldn't swap when changing over everything else. My next problem is, i'm not really sure about combo's or numbers. I've never built an engine before, so i'm not exactly sure what all the numbers on the heads and cams and such mean when mixed together with other things.