MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
WildWheels
Registered Member

Default EFI to Carb swap

I'm swapping my 302HO from EFI to carb hear is the thing. Is the firing order still the HO order or is it the standard order now that the computer is gone? Also what's the best wiring diagram for new setup? I have took everything from the engine bay out and putting a single wire alt. in and what wire's need to be saved or left in place for lighting and other basic item that will be needed? Would it be simplest if i put in a set of switchs to work all of these things?
WildWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
93svt
Registered Member

Default Re: EFI to Carb swap

I guess my first question is why the heck you would get rid of the injection? Anyways, firing order stays the same, and you should probably keep your factory gauge wires as well as coil power, etc. I did this with a 4-cyl several years ago, was a fair amount of work to keep it looking near show quality instead of a cobbled piece of crap, not to mention plumbing it correctly. My advice would be to keep it injected, but if you have more questions, let me know.
93svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
WildWheels
Registered Member

Well, the car is a 4 cyl now but have started swapping things over.
I have changed to the 8.8 rear end everything off of my 8cyl car just trying to get the wiring and stock gauges to work with this setup. what about using the key switch to run things or would i need to install a switch panel for the fan, fuel pump, and all other things that may be needed. I would like to use the stock gauges like oil, amp's, temp, speed, tach, and fuel. is this possoble?
I have the parts to do this but trying to get all the kinks worked out before the install.

Thanks,
Bill
WildWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Your alternator wires run with the headlights wires. You don't have to take that out. If you keep this in and use the stock alternator, the alternator gauge will still work. The fuel gauge will also still work. In order to use the stock tach, you will need to swap the tachs out in the gauge cluster. But why? The stock gauges suck and are not accurate. Good old fashioned mechanical water and oil pressure gauges are cheap enough and easy to install.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
surfsup
Registered Member

Hey is this going to be a street or strip car? I did the 4 cyl to 8 cyl swap and went carb, don’t know if fuel injection would have made much of a difference, but one thing I did not find or was told about before going about the swap. DMV.. Division of motor vehicle. Now I know all states are different, I live in New Jersey and getting my car through inspection was in possible, when they punched in the serial number of my car the emission settings are set for a 2.3 four cyl, not a 5.0, so I’m sure I don’t have to tell you what happened, but I will, it failed, impossible for the 5.0 to meet the four cyl reading, I even took my car to a buddy of mine who owns a garage, we set the car up on the emission machine and could not get that thing to meet the four cyl spec’s, now like I said earlier, if I went fuel injection I might of met the standards, but according to my buddy he said no, impossible, So what did I do? I had to register the car as a collector car which exempt me from inspection, but also will only allow me 3000 miles a year to drive the car, now I’m sure there’s ways to get around this mileage thing, but my point is, check your emission laws for your state, you might be better off buying a 5.0 and then do your thing..at lease at inspection time you’ll have some options to get it to pass..doing the engine swap with my dad is something I’ll never for get, the time we spent and the fun we had doing this was priceless, and I really can’t wait to do our next project together, he thinks we can sneak my moms 440 six pack from her 70 charger RT that’s in storage right now waiting for funds to restore the car. Well I didn’t write all this stuff to discourage you, but I wish it was something I was informed about, because to tell you the truth, it sucks seeing my car sit more the driving it. TMTC.
86 302 block, valve relief’s cut myself, SVO GT40 heads port and polished, 1.6 rockers, E cam, timing chain, rpm manifold port and polished, Holley 670 avenger, Mac long tubes and cat back exhaust, elec fan, 195 stat, T5 trans, pro 5.0 shifter, lakewood loop,adj cable, bbk U Arms, Mac L Arms, rear drag springs with air bag and new isolators, pro com 3 way shocks, 8.8 3.73, autometer gauges, oil, water, tach, and pod, 150MPH speedo
surfsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
goodyear1984
Registered Member

man swaping in an injected 5.0 is so much eaiser and more powerfull and cheaper ...you should really think about going injected but if not dont hack up the alt to a one wire just use the stock one.ur gonna need a diff sending unit and a inline pump unless u have a mech pump on it..do a good job wiring it up ..i would really give a good thought on keeping it injected but if not good luck hope it turns out nice.....and o yea 1 more thing u should think about upgrading the brakes and suspention ,u dont have to but to do it right its a good thought
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote