MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-01-2003, 04:44 PM   #1
dustang90
Registered Member

Default DSS Racing engine

Has anyone ever bought or know someone that has bought a DSS racing engine. A rotating assembly from them costs $900 balanced ready to be put in a block. Now I think that is really cheap. It has forged pistons, race prepped crank and rods and comes with bearings and rings. For $900, that is damn good, but are they quality. Let me know because I am really thinking about it.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:32 PM   #2
302crew
Registered Member

I would never buy another thing from DSS i have one of thier pro bullet 306 motors and i was not pushing much over 300 hp and i cracked the 1st 2nd and 3rd main it had a there girdle on it i spun the cam bearings out of it i had the crank looked at by a machine shop and they said it was cut before it came to me dss never advertised cranks that were cut they say there blocks are bullet proff and handle up to 600hp my *** i had it for 2 years and now it is a boat ancor cause i called them up and they are doing nothing for me there add says uses no oem parts menwhile i have a crank that has been cut .010 under and the rods looks like they may be reconditiond to so i just dont feel safe using there motors My friend also has one of there motors and he is having oil problems at 6000 rpm he is only seeing 40 psi and they told him thats fine he has a high volume pump in it too so im not happy with them and im going to be sending a letter to the presedent of the company. I mean ive had stock blocks last longer.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
VeNuM
Registered Member

302crew: I'm not sure you did all the research on the DSS motors. They are stock blocks, they have stock cranks, and if it's cut, that's what they do to make sure they are in check, nothing wrong with that. The rods are also stock, reconditioned ones that have been shot peened, magnafluxed, etc. This is all very apparent on their website. You're motor shouldn't have broke as they claim those short blocks with the main support system should last up to 550 hp, but it is possible you got a bad seed. Many people around here are happy with their 306 Bullet short blocks and some people don't like them. My friend has had his running hard at 350hp for 4 years now, not one problem. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:52 PM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Everytime I hear someone talk about DSS (whether it's on a message board or in real life) it's GREAT news. I have a friend that has a '96 Mystic Cobra with a Kenne belle on it. He is running mid 11s in the 1/4. He's done WAY over 10 pulls on the dyno and a few months later got a compression check on the motor. Practically ZERO loss of compression on the motor. Of course there are always the exceptions like 302crew. But from what I've heard, they are FEW and FAR between.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:16 PM   #5
dustang90
Registered Member

Thank you for your opinions guys. I appreciate it. I think as with any engine rebuilds, anything can happen even if you do it yourself. And some machine shops can even take short cuts to make more money. I will probably get one and hopefully it will work well for me. As for the guy above saying he barely pulled over 300 hp. Well that really has nothing to do with the short block. I mean it does but doesn't, it all depends on the heads, cam and intake combo you have. From what I hear, they are just 302's bored .030 over and just strengthened. But they sound good to me. Again thank you for your input
Old 05-02-2003, 01:34 AM   #6
302crew
Registered Member

Well i didnt read there add online i just looked at the one in the magazone and it said no oem parts used and the advertise race preeped blocks bullsh** I wouldnt be this angry if they didnt give me an answer such as well that were they ussualy crack
Old 05-02-2003, 02:19 PM   #7
Heather
Registered Member

i dont know if i can do this or not but i just ordered a dss super pro long block- havent got it yet but at corral.net if you do a search on it there are alot of reply's check it out.