MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-22-2003, 02:30 PM   #1
CrimsonRacing
Registered Member

Angry sound in rear end

My '88 GT has been almost totally redone.New almost everything.The rear end had a noise that sounds more like something is loose rather than low on dope.When I am in 4th and in town it sounds as if something is moving back and foward making a clinking sound.Could something be loose causing this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-018f.jpg (77.2 KB, 38 views)
CrimsonRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
CrimsonRacing
Registered Member

a little help here would be appreciated Guys........Surely someone has an idea or something?
Old 05-24-2003, 12:54 AM   #3
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Man, could you describe the sound a bit more? And does it only happen in 4th gear? cause if so, it's not your rear end. Unless for some reason it only happens at a high axle RPM. Anyway, could be anything, a chipped ring or pinion tooth, a bolt that came out, a squirrel carcass. Who knows. Any noise is from a rear end is bad noise.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 07:47 AM   #4
CrimsonRacing
Registered Member

Michael.............kinda difficult to describe correctly but it sounds like something is loose and moving back and forth.When I am driving intown in traffic in 3rd or 4th it makes the sound.Maybe noise is the wrong description.Could there be slack in the rear end?

Is it also possible that what I am hearing is just the mormal movement of the read end and there is nothing wrong?

Just aggrivates me to hear the sound.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:56 AM   #5
CrimsonRacing
Registered Member

Michael,
I also have another question to pose to you.

I am making the change to underdrive pulleys and have gotten quite a variation of replies.

Should I use a regular overdrive pulley on my alternator to sustain hig voltage or will a underdrive pulley on there as well will give me the charging I require.I have working a/c and a stereo but not one of those booming things.Also.......approximately what kind of hp increase would you feel I will get with the ud pulleys?

And.............which brand of UD pulleys would you reccommend.

thanks,
Crimson
Old 05-24-2003, 11:03 AM   #6
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Get the cheapest underdrive pulleys you can find, In my opinion they will only make a slight difference but considering their cost, it could be worth it to you. 10-15 HP. maybe more I don't know, maybe someone's actually gone to the trouble of dynoing a car with and without them. As for the rear end, depending on where the sound is coming from and what the sound sounds like, it could be worn U joints, a screwed up axle bearing that's sloppy, a screwed up control arm bushing that's sloppy, something with your brakes, who knows, take it to a shop that will do a free inspection. Take it to more than one to see if they say the same thing. It's not really worth trying to diagnose a problem who's symptoms are a noise when I can't hear the noise. Know what I mean? It'd be like if you told a doctor "I've got this thing on my forehead, it looks weird, it's some kind of weird thing, what is it?"

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote