MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-09-2001, 02:45 PM   #1
RobertD
Registered Member

Post My head choice dilema...

So we had a discussion about heads...GT-40's and 40Ps. I had narrowed down my choices between these two. I got a couple of replies for TW heads.

The Edelbrocks and cast iron varieties seem to be the heads of choice with AOD owners. The TW w/5 speeds. I had originally thought the P's would help me retain some low end so that my car didn't feel so sluggish out on the streets. The smaller valves created more velocity down low and it would help me retain torque. I looked at the numbers and the Edelbrocks flow about the same as P's up to about .3 lift. After this, it's all Edelbrock. The TW out flow both all over the board, but have larger valves. I don't want a race engine, but a nice running 5-liter with plenty of pull and some good HP (Say...320+ HP). The setup will be:

.030 over block
Cobra intake
Mild cam (depending on head choice)
***Heads of choice***
24 lb injectors
190-lph fuel pump
76 m mass air
65 mm TB
3.27 rear
Off road exhaust, 2 chamber flows
AOD w/ Transgo shift kit

All in a full weight 91 GT. I want the car to be streetable, reliable and, again, not be sluggish down under. That is why I decided on the P's. The Edelbrocks flow the same amount of air on the intake(total from .1 to .5 lift), but are 40 lbs lighter and flow more exhaust! I don't have the cash or time to re-do this combo twice. I need to get it right the first time. You have steered me right before, and I trust your judgement.

I have done so much reading and studying that it's driving me mad. I need to hear more experiences...

------------------
Robert
91GT; 88 ASC McLaren #709
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 01:40 AM   #2
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

are you planning on replacing your headers w/ "p" only headers?
i would go w/ the edelbrocks.
You can find them used for the price of new "p" heads.

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.stangnet.com

11's coming soon!!!!
Heads,intake and cam are all here
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 10:04 AM   #3
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I agree with NOS_Notch. Go with the Edelbrocks, I'm happy with my set, and don't let the number games fool you. They flow well enough out of the box, and even better with only a SMALL amount of touch ups. And you can use you're existing headers, etc. with them.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 03:53 AM   #4
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

I have the TFS TW with a E-303 cam, and I have more power than the tires can handle at 2500rpm and above. There is tons of lowend.

Sky

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406- TFS Heads, E-303, edelbrock intake,70MM TB, 73mm MAF, off road H, headers and 3chamber flows.
12.55@107mph
50-175 Nitrous Works WET Kit just added.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 08:01 AM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

Get the edelbrocks, you wont be disapointed. Excellent quality, light weight, and exactly what your looking for.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 08:43 AM   #6
SLOWPONY
Registered Member

Go with the T/W heads, they flow the most at low lifts (E-Cam) than the Edelbrocks. I run the Edelbrocks and if I had to buy another set of heads I would buy the Victor JR's or a set of the T/W.
SLOWPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 08:56 AM   #7
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

The edelbrocks are mediocre heads.....they flow around 235-240/175-180. IMO waste of money when you can get a set of TFS TW's for $1000 that flow 250-255/190-195. Edelbrocks are overpriced too.

------------------
Dustin
Saleenized 89 GT,428 rwhp,TFS Street Heat Intake,TFS TW Heads,TFS #2 cam,BD-11A 9 psi,FRPP 1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,Pro-M 75mm Bullet,MSD 6BTM, FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes,BBK Short H-pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55's

12.3@119
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 06:44 PM   #8
DirtKing
Registered Member

afr 165 kick *** ...especially at the low lift on a mild motor!

------------------
88LX notch, Speedpro EFI Procharged!
DirtKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 07:01 PM   #9
exgmguy
Registered Member

You will make plenty of torque with the TFS heads. Mine are ported, along with a heavily ported GT-40 lower. (Fel-pro 1262) On the dyno I was making about 275 lbs of torque by 2800 rpm. 310 lbs by 3400.

Thing is you have to buy good rocker arms and 6.700 inch hardened pushrods. You should get this stuff with any head though.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT
12.0 @ 122
1992 BadAzz Wrangler
1993 Explorer
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 07:39 PM   #10
Unit 5302
Registered Member

If you are trying to decide amongst all heads, the TFS Twisted Wedge are an easy choice. A steep flow curve, along with small combustion chambers, great flow rates, and a killer price on a set of aluminum heads.

The TFS heads will blast the GT-40 series out of the water.

Edelbrock makes quality heads, but the old myths around the Twisted Wedge taking out valve guides is finally coming to a fizzle. Lot's of people run them with NO problems.

So here's what you are left with. Great flow velocity and huge numbers with a quality name brand head for hundreds cheaper than the competition. That's what the Twisted Wedges deliever.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 08:53 PM   #11
RobertD
Registered Member

So everyone agrees on the TW heads? I always thought that the larger intake valve would keep me from making low end torque. Does the low lift flow make up for it?

------------------
Robert
91GT; 88 ASC McLaren #709
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 09:15 PM   #12
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Mine made more low end Tq than stock headed mustangs do.

------------------
Dustin
Saleenized 89 GT,428 rwhp,TFS Street Heat Intake,TFS TW Heads,TFS #2 cam,BD-11A 9 psi,FRPP 1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,Pro-M 75mm Bullet,MSD 6BTM, FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes,BBK Short H-pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55's

12.3@119
Old 06-13-2001, 02:23 PM   #13
Mach 1
Registered Member

Unit....when did TFS add you to thier marketing payroll?

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 03:14 PM   #14
jimberg
Registered Member

GT-40Ps weigh a lot more (50-70lbs) than comparable aluminum heads. You can't just compare flow numbers with flow numbers. What is it, 100 lbs cost you a tenth in the quarter? It's also weight in the front which is where you don't want it.

You can run more timing advance with aluminum heads since they dissipate heat better than iron heads.

Unit's right about the TFS heads. They're the best bang for the buck.

As far as torque goes, it depends on the cam and the length of your intake runners. TFS TW heads have no problems with low end torque and are great at the high end.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 06:50 PM   #15
TJR
Registered Member

jimberg....About timing with aluminum heads. Has anyone here with aluminum heads played with timing on a dyno? I've heard people say you can run more with aluminum heads (which is probably true), but does that mean you'll make more power? I'm not trying to say that it is right/wrong to run more timing, but do you really need to since the design of an aluminum head is a lot more efficient than say the E7TE castings? Due to efficiency, I have been told that they need less timing. Of course this is all speculation. I have no proof either way, but I would like to see some dyno runs with a set of aluminum heads with timing at 10, 12, 14, 16, etc...to see what the differences in power are. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Back to the original topic....RobertD, I think you would be happy with any of the choices that were mentioned. I was thinking of going with Canfields (54cc chambers), but am now considering the Trick Flow TWs. But whatever you choose, in my opinion, will be better than stock.

------------------
1989 lx notch
89,000 miles
bolt-ons,stock heads/cam
60'- 2.07, 8.90@78, 13.93@99
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 07:40 PM   #16
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

I ran best with 18*. I tryed it at 16* and ran a run about 8 hp less.

------------------
Dustin

12.3@119
Old 06-13-2001, 10:04 PM   #17
TJR
Registered Member

Dustin....those results are pretty interesting. Was the gain seen throughout the entire curve or just at the peak? Also, how close was p/v clearance with the cam?

------------------
1989 lx notch
89,000 miles
bolt-ons,stock heads/cam
60'- 2.07, 8.90@78, 13.93@99
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 11:09 PM   #18
XR1stang
Registered Member

Go TFS you won't be disappointed. BUT make sure you measure the pushrods, and then get the correct ones. If not you WILL have problems.

XR1stang
loves his TFS heads
XR1stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 08:40 AM   #19
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

TJR-
The power curve was greater throughout the whole band, BUT it peaked at 8 hp more....I noticed a great improvement in throttle response too.

P/V clearance was fine....they say TFS TW heads can go up ti .540 lift ot 290 duration, but I'd always use the clay method just incase.

------------------
Dustin

12.3@119
Old 06-14-2001, 01:26 PM   #20
jimberg
Registered Member

I have thoughts on timing , and yes, tuning the timing on a dyno is the best thing to do. Too much timing will do more harm than good.

Advancing the timing will net you more power throughout the powerband since you are able to utilize more of the energy being released by the explosion of the air/fuel mixture.

Bear with me since this is probably something that most people know, but it's a good idea to keep in mind and not all people know it.

When we get our basic lesson on how four stroke engines work, we know that there is an intake stroke where air is sucked into the cylinder and fuel is injected. This is then compressed and ignited. Before I ever understood what timing was, I always assumed that the fuel was ignited at the top of the compression stroke and then the piston was just pushed down buy exploding gases.

What they really do is start the explosion before the piston gets to TDC to get the mixture expanding during the compression stroke. It's kind of like compressing a super duty spring that then releases its full amount of potential energy after passing TDC. This is where it becomes relevant to the thread. The danger, though, is that if you start the expansion too early along with high combustion chamber temps, the fuel will spontaneously ignite (Detonation). My guess is that if you could take a movie of the explosion in super slomo, you'd see the explosion start up by the sparkplug and grow downward toward the piston. During detonation, all the fuel explodes at once before it reaches TDC.

There's a lot of important information that can be derived from knowing this.

When you advance timing, you increase the amount of potential energy that can be released after the piston reaches TDC.

Cooler combustion chamber temps as a result of aluminum heads will allow you to advance your timing farther.

Cooler combustion chamber temps as a result of running richer will also allow you to advance your timing farther.

Octane is the lab measured amount of compression that fuel can take before it detonates. This is why you use a higher octane with high compression engines, or with engines that have advanced timing. High octane fuel also burns slower so using it with stock timing will give you less power since the amount of potential energy released at TDC will be less.

This is why timing advance is important as engine RPMs go up. Since the piston is moving faster, it is important to start the expansion of gases earler so that you maintain your maximum amount of potential energy throughout the rpm range.

There's probably a lot more, but I think you guys should have a good idea of what's going on.

Before anyone harps on me about going into such detail on what we consider basic, there are a lot of people on this site and other sites who have no clue about this stuff. It's obvious in a lot of questions that are asked.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible

[This message has been edited by jimberg (edited 06-14-2001).]
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote