MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-03-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Default Clutches??

Well it seems like the centerforce df in my car has bit the dust after 1 year. So im going to have to look into picking up a new clutch for the car. I was talking to the guy at the shop about a hayes street/strip clutch. Has anyone had any experience with these? What else is there that is worth looking into. The engines running with about 350-360hp at the flywheel.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:51 AM   #2
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Anyone?
Theres gotta be people out there that have some experience with different clutches.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
LayanRubr
Registered Member

I hate meh ford racing clutch for everyday use, always having to adjust but its a strong sucker. Just my 2 cents, hope my wee brain helped
Rice Hater's Club member #20
LayanRubr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:00 PM   #4
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Anyone else have any opinions? Basically its down to spec, mcleod, hayes, centerforce again, or ford motorsports. The car isnt a daily driver and it see's the track occasionially.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I hated the king cobra clutch.

I love the ford racing clutch.

Hayes clutch had too much pedal pressure.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:58 AM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question

Well crap, this subject seems to have the most inconsistent responses/opinions. Seems like no one really agrees on one specific clutch. I am planning on putting a new clutch in the '92 GT 2 weeks from now and have been looking around and inquiring about clutches.

I've heard: Mcleod is great, but costs too much; King Cobra is great and King Cobra is terrible ; what I've heard about the Spec Stage I clutch was very good, but I've only heard a little about that clutch-- not enough opinions on it for me to want to buy it.

If I get a, say, Spec Stage I clutch and Ford cable and flywheel, would that be a good choice??? I've been told to get an adjustable cable and then I've been told not to get an adjustable clutch. Should I go for a new flywheel or just resurface my old one?????
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

When I bought my car it had a King Cobra Clutch in it and I hated that clutch It was still like new when I replaced it with a Ford Racing clutch.

I just had my flywheel surfaced instead of replacing it.

My Dad has a Hayes clutch in his 73 Camaro and I am 6 ft 225 lbs and the clutch has way too much pedal pressure but can cut 1.5 60 fts all day.

I have heard good things from alot of people about the spec clutches.

Here is my motto when trying to decide which part to buy.

"When in doubt buy a ford racing part."
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote