MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-20-2002, 05:31 PM   #1
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Default Power woes

For the longest time I've been running low on power in my car. According to my voltage gauge my car gets sufficent power until I begin turning on accessories. With all my accessories going the volts start dipping to the 12-12.5V side of the gauge. I figured it might be because of the extra drains I've put on.

I added a Holley Blue pump, an electric fan, a decent stereo, MSD ignition, and I - think - thats about it. But when all is said and done on a cold day it starts to run low on volts. I know '82's didnt have big alternators, but I did get a brand new replacement alt but I'm wondering if the 65amps is good enough.

Should I opt for a 100 amp one...even higher?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.
RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:39 PM   #2
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default more is better

I had major charging problems after my pulleys so I scrapped the P.O.S. stock alternator for a 130 amp from PA Performance. Now, I don't have any charging problems at all. I would suggest that you get the alternator with the most amps that you can. Better to be safe than sorry and your battery will thank you for it

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:59 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Low power problem

You probably need to invest in a 130 amp alternator.

The electric fan and - likely - the stereo are too much for the stock alternator to keep up with.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 06:45 PM   #4
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Thanks. Ya it seems to only really drain when i either turn on my electric fan or kick my heater on.

I know that The local parts store has a 100amp alt that will fit my car but should i also re-run the main power wire from the alt because of the higher amperage? I know that PA performance has a complete kit which has new wires and everything but i am on a bit of a tight budget after finishing the engine build up. Otherwise i might just have to live without heat for the next while and spend the extra $$ on the PA piece.

Thanks Again for the help. This site is the best
Old 03-20-2002, 07:12 PM   #5
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default PA Performance

Since I have the PA Performance alternator, I'm going to, of course, favor them. When I got my alternator, I also got the wire kit that they sell. The wires are very easy to hook up. I have NO electrical experience and found the job to be an easy one. The instructions are clear and pictures are provided incase you need them. I think the wire kit ran me $40 in addition to the alternator. I am very happy and have no complaints.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 07:41 AM   #6
scott9050
Registered Member

The 95 amp aerostar alternator will work fine and needs no mods to fit or work. It's cheap as well.
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 10:12 AM   #7
MDM
Registered Member

Default alternator

I swapped to the 3G 95 amp unit from PA and have had great results. The stock 2G 65 amp, especially at lower RPMS, does not make the power you need and even at highter RPMS, you are probably taxing it near or beyond its capacity. Overall, the 3G is a superior unit. I would definitely recommend switching the power wire from the alternator to the solenoid. For reasons unknown, the factory Ford piece consists of 2 10 or 12 gauge wires from the alternator, which then join into just one once they get about six inches down the line. I think this is barely adequate for a 65 amp and inadequate for anything stronger. I used a 4 gauge braided copper wire with soldered on copper cable ends. This is more than enough for the 95 or 130 amp unit and will give you good piece of mind for about $10 plus a little work. I did not use it, but I would imagine PA's kit will consist of something similar. Good luck
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 05:04 AM   #8
82 GT
Import Slayer

You could go one step further and buy a POWER MASTER alternator. They come in 100 and 130amp versions.
If you get the race alternator it is a one wire hook up and eliminates that external voltage regulator you have.
I have one on my '82GT and I like it. I just ran a 4# wire from the battery to the alternator and ripped out the voltage regulator and was done!!
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 09:32 PM   #9
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

If i get a newer alternator with one wire. What all do i have to do to get it to work. Do i only run the wire to the solenoid and all is done? If so thats what ill probably do.

I dont care about keeping my amp gauge intact if it effects that. I have a autometer volt gauge instead. If its that easy it would be great.

So if anyone knows what all is involved in going to one wire i would greatly appreciate it if you could give me an idea of how to do it.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:15 PM   #10
82 GT
Import Slayer

Yes, it's that simple. Just run a heavy wire from the battery side of the selenoid to the power terminal of the alternator.( I used #4 wire...overkill)but 10gauge should do the trick.
That's it!!! Then you can scrap that ugly voltage regulator.
It comes with the simple instructions. I bought mine from Pa performance. They have the one wire type or the standard type but why bother? You can get a 100 or 130 amp alternator but since I don't have any extra power accessories I just got the 100 amp unit. They even come with both types of pulleys in case you have the sepentine belt or V groove belts.
Any more questions just let me know.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:05 AM   #11
stanger8172
Registered Member

82GT,
Doesn't the car have too many volts running through it now with no voltage regulator? How does that work?

I bought the Powermaster 130 amp around New Year's and I have had to recharge the battery twice. I have the stock pulley on the alt., no boomin' system, no xtra lights, no parasitic draw, nothin' to make it draw, xcept maybe the battery that's in the trunk. Should I rip out the voltage reg?
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, MSD Blaster Coil, FR 9MM wires, 13* timing, 1.6rr, ported/polished/milled stock heads, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys, K&N panel, 1"spacer, BBK shorties, 2 1/2" off road H, Summit 2 1/2" catback
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:29 AM   #12
DemonGT
Registered Member

i have the stock alt and i have a mech. volt gauge and it goes up to 18..and at idle it reads all the way up..but when i push the window buttons it goes down ....why would it read all the way up?
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 04:06 PM   #13
82 GT
Import Slayer

Stanger, my alternator is the 1 wire type. It has it's own internal regulator so that's why I could pitch the old external unit.
They also come in standard form in the higher amp ratings which still require the external regulator.
If I remember correctly, the '86-up mustangs have an internal regulator and pre-85 models have that external unit.

DemonGT, You should not have a voltage reading that high. It sounds like the regulator is messed up inside your alternator.
The regulator regulates the amount of voltage it puts out.