MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2002, 11:07 AM   #1
Mason66
Registered Member

Thumbs up Need Help With 1981 Cobra

Hello everyone. I am new here to this board but not to cars.

I just purchased a 1981 Cobra with t-tops and I need some service manuals or literature about this car.

I am in Mexico which makes it more difficult to find what I need but I intend to build a nice car, if not original.

Anybody else have a 1981 Cobra? The 1982 and newer GT's seem to be popular and even have their own website but not much on the Cobra.

By the way I am assuming it is a Cobra from the Cobra plaque on the dash.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Mason66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 12:00 AM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I know of the i believe '79 to '81 Cobras and what i know is alot came with these options: 15.3 inch "TRX" wheels and the "TRX handling package", alot came with turbo 2.3L engines, i don't know about the 255 windsor that came and went in the early 80's but maybe those made an appearance in those vehicles. I know that they had the big Cobra decal on the hood that had traditional early 80's colors (lots of yellow, orange, tan, black, etc.)

You can look at Amazon.com and look for books about mustangs, i have a mustang "collectors and buyers guide" for all year mustangs and gives a quick description about them and those should give you an idea about what they had and what they looked like. You could also look for a book about mustang cobras although they may not cover a whole lot about those year mustangs. They had a "king cobra" through the mustang II line of mustangs and continued until i believe the GT came back in '82.
I believe those turbo 4 cylinders had like 140 horsepower and alot i think came with a 4 speed manual.
This is all i know off the top of my head, but i hope you can find some good info about your vehicle, which i must say i think is a very unique and cool vehicle (sort of like the Ford Fairmont Turbo....but i won't get into that )
Happy hunting,

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 01:10 AM   #3
Pongo
Registered Member

Mason66,

Was your Cobra made in the USA or Canada? I seem to remember from way back (I might be wrong) 1. Cobras back then were mainly just a decal package. 2. Most were made in Canada 3. They are rare. I had a magazine with a write up on them but it must have been like 10 or 12 years ago.

Steve
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 01:21 AM   #4
Mason66
Registered Member

MY VIN says it was made in the US.

Of course this car, after 21 years has had color changes as well as wheel changes so the only thing left of the Cobra is the logo on the dash.

It has the 4.2L V8 with Auto. I would never buy the turbo after driving them when new with their rod knocks. No offense to anyone who has one but a Pinto with a turbo just doesn't seem right.

Does anybody know if the 81 Cobra came with the bumper later used on the 82 GT or did it have the regular front bumper like all the rest.

Mine has a modified version of the 82 GT bumper but I do not know if it is original or if it has been added from another car. It does have a switch for fog lights so maybe the bumper is original.

The car was originally black on black and is now red on red. I have still not decided what color combination to go for but I know I do not want those God awful decals on the car.

Thanks for the replies guys (I am assuming you are guys)
Mason66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 12:19 PM   #5
Pongo
Registered Member

Here is some Cobra info and pics. You may be able to trade your car for a mustang that you would be happy with - See: VERY RARE at this link

http://www.bonforums.com/photos/pict...anameplate.htm

I seem to remember those cars with a frount air dam but this pic says otherwise, anyhow thats just a regular mustang bumper as far as I can tell.

Find out what that thing is worth in curent condition!!!

Steve
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote