MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-13-2001, 06:30 AM   #1
88PONY
Registered Member

Angry Right temp??? HELP!!!

My car has a 450hp 306ci engine. A C-4 with a 4200 stall 8in converter with 4:10's in the rear. My question is why can't I get this car to run any cooler than 230-240 deg. I have a Becool rad. stock water pump and electric fan. The way it cools best believe it or not is on the highway or when you get on it then it will stay at about 200 deg. I need help fast.

Thanks guys/gals
88PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 10:16 AM   #2
Lexicon
Registered Member

Well, I have always been under the idea, that mustangs in general run towards the hot side. Belive it or not? about cooling on the highway..would be a believe situation. You are increasing your speed and thus the amount of air moving over the fins of the radiator. You would naturally experience an increase in cooling.
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:31 AM   #3
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Try running a different fan set-up. I've heard of people switching back to clutch fans and getting better results than the electric.

Just an idea....

------------------
Eric - 89 Mustang LX coupe
302 - Cobra Intake - GT40p heads - TFS stage 1 cam - FRPP 1.6 roller rockers - Naturally Aspirated
3:73 gears - KYB shocks and struts - Eibach springs - HPM Mega-bite Jr lower control arms - HPM upper control arms
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 12:35 PM   #4
dinomite
The Dude

ya, mechanical fans often give better results, try that, and get some Redline Water Wetter
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 01:44 PM   #5
88PONY
Registered Member

Angry

I tried the stock fan and shroud, but no better. I even bought a new fan clutch. I think I might need a high flow water pump. I just don't want to spend $200 on a pump. I was looking at the Flow-Kooler pumps in Summit they don't seem bad. Any body have any sugesstions? Also about how much CFM of air should a fan put out to cool my car decently?

Thanks Again
Old 07-13-2001, 02:25 PM   #6
PKRWUD

How much anti freeze are you using? Contrary to popular belief, straight water runs cooler. It dissipates heat faster. Not a good idea if you're only going to change it once every 3 years, but if you like to wrench, and it sounds like you do, then you would be better to run straight water.

Also, do you still have the little spoiler below the car that deflects air up into the radiator? Most Mustangs do not, and they are the ones that overheat.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 03:10 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

It's definitely true about the water, but anti-freeze also is a lubricant. I would run 25% anti-freeze and 75% water.

Chris, so that's what that thing is that I keep hitting on curbs?

You didn't mention what type of thermostat you have. My guess would be that it's a low one. Try going back to a stock thermostat.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 03:38 PM   #8
PKRWUD

Jim- No kidding! I never did understand why a curb is necessary in the middle of a parking space! Shouldn't it just be where the tires are???

88PONY- Jims right about the T-stat. It's been proven that the overall engine temp will be lower with a 192 than with a 180. he's got a good point about the coolant too, but I would still try straight water first and see if it makes a difference.

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 07:50 AM   #9
88PONY
Registered Member

Red face

Thanks for the all the help. I brought the car to the track Friday night and it ran it for the first time this year. It ran at about 200 and went the best of 12.408@108. I guess thats good for my first time. I saw a couple other Stangs down there and I think my problem is I have the water pump spinning in the wrong direction. About 3 people told me this. My dumba$$ didn't even think about this. Another ? is what size belt to use with it. I have no A/C,P/S,or air pump. I also have all stock pulleys. I also have a 160 stat and there is a mixture of 25-75 antifreeze and water.

Thanks Again