MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-23-2003, 10:35 PM   #1
eloggia
Registered Member

Angry 96 GT Bogging problem, help is appreciated

I would appreciate some help anyone could give me on a problem I am having with my Mustang. I have a 1996 GT with the PI engine upgrade package, just in case that is relevant. I am encountering a bogging of the engine usually when I am on the highway in high gear and I let my foot off the gas. The car acts like it wants to stall, but won't. I also get the same effect when I am in a low gear at high rpm and let off the gas, such as driving through a parking lot. The car runs strong and sounds fine other than this problem. I have been told that perhaps it could be the clutch spring? I don't have a clue, but I have spent many hundreds of dollars working out all the ticks from the install of the PI package and I am getting frustrated. I would thank anyone willing to take the time to help me out if they are able. Thank You all Eric Loggia
eloggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:56 AM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Could you give a little more detail as to what it's doing? I"m not quite understanding what the car is doing. Is it when you are shifting or what? What about the coil packs or even a spark plug or plug wire issue? After my intake blew up on my 96 it had a miss in it that the dealership never could get corrected.

I got rid of my 96 because of all the problems I had with the junk T45. Had to have the thing rebuilt at only 32,000 miles and I wasn't even hard on it. Between that and motor problems. But sounds like you've taken care of the motor situation by going PI. BTW, where is Ballwin, MO? I'm in Carthage, MO in the SW corner near Joplin. Also about an hour west of Springfield on I-44.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
eloggia
Registered Member

Default Reply- to Adam B.

Adam, Thank you for getting back to me I will try to be as clear as possible, I know I was vague in my original post. My car's problem can be noticed mostly in high gear when I am above 50mph. Example, I am driving on the freeway, foot on the gas and I need to slow down so I take my foot off the gas pedal completely. Usually, in a properly tuned car the transmission would take the car's Rpm level down gradually and smoothly. When I take my foot from the gas pedal I get the sensation that my car is running out of gas. The the rpm level doesn't fluctuate or act any differently according to the gauge, but the car feels like it is hiccuping. The car will bog such as when one is running out of fuel. I have motorsport 9mm wires and plugs which are brand new. I have basically all the aftermarket parts available to and from the engine except an x-pipe. The best example I can give you is that the car feels like it is running out of gas. As far as where I live, I live really close to St. Charles, about 30 min. west of St. Louis. Thank you for your time. Eric Loggia
Old 10-24-2003, 01:10 PM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

How about a new fuel filter? Sounds like to me that unless you are giving it gas, making the fuel pump pump harder, then the fuel filter being clogged is keeping the fuel from flowing. It's cheap and easy to do. Change it and see if that fixes your problem. I'm assuming there is no "Check Engine" light on?
Old 10-24-2003, 04:00 PM   #5
eloggia
Registered Member

Default Response to Adam B.

The Fuel filter is a possibility I never thought of, I might try and change that, although it has been replaced within the last year. There is no check engine light on. Thanks for the help and the new possibility. Eric Loggia
Old 10-26-2003, 05:06 PM   #6
eloggia
Registered Member

Default Response to Adam B

I Changed the fuel filter the problem is still here. I guess it's time for another idea. Eric Loggia
Old 10-27-2003, 09:19 AM   #7
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Hmmm....well the only next thing I can think of is to check your fuel pressure and see where it's at. Maybe the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator is going south. The vacuum line hasn't come off of the fuel pressure regulator has it? I'm not real sure what the problem is. I wish you were closer so I could see/feel what it's doing in order to get a better idea. I get a pretty good picture with your description though. Not quite sure what to think. BTW, all of the spark plug wires are on the correct spark plugs, right? Maybe the TPS is another thing to check out.