MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-07-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
SlowMopar
Registered Member

Default Carb to FI conversion

Hey some of you may remember me, it's been a while. I've also been Polara7777 on here. I just got a new toy and I have some questions. I have an 84 Tbird that was originally a 4 banger and someone swapped that out for a 5.0 HO with a carb. I'm wanting to swap it over to FI. I can have all the parts I want off of a older lincoln and I've already grabbed the upper intake, distributor, airbox and air intake, etc and I'm going back to get the rest of it. If I grab the computer, harness, and everything connected by wires or vacuum lines should I be set to go? I would think so but projects like this never go that smoothly. Any one have any advice on something like this? I thought about keeping it carbed but I don't want to dick with it and I also drive back and forth almost 100 miles a day so I want the FI fuel economy too. Also, I'm sure there is an ECU that would give me better performance than the one from an old lincoln. Does anyone know what year 5.0 has the best ECU? Thanks in advance, Ian

2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Mostly stock
(Suzuki SV650 coming soon)
1967 Dodge Polara 500 - Heavy mods
1984 VW Transporter - Stock
SlowMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:18 AM   #2
PKRWUD

I did a swap in an '83 t-bird, and the one thing I learned above all else, is for simplicity, get ALL the parts from the same source. Ford went and made a lot of changes year by year in the 80's, from different sensors to different harness connectors, etc. Your best bet would be to get everything you can from the same donor car, whether it's a Lincoln or a Mustang, or whatever, from the ECM all the way to the individual sensors, including the harness. Think of it as a matched set. Once you get it put back together and running smooth, then start to think about mods. If you start swapping in different parts before that, you'll likely never get it running quite right.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

My .02 on the matter is:

I had a FI mustang and had no end of problems. First this sensor went out, then that sensor went out then this wire got pinched and then some relay blew then the ECU wouldnt run the fuel pump. Then I fixed it all and, lo and behold, it all starts happening all over again for no discernable reason 1 month later. I put a carb on it and, after some teething issues inherent in any swap, it runs like a charm all the time now. No stupid electronics to burn out or go haywire. If something doesnt please me, I go up front and turn a screw.

You'll be exchanging one set of problems for another with the EFI and honestly, my gas mileage didnt change but maybe 1 mpg with the carb. Plus, if you are pulling this stuff off a 15 or so year old donor car, probably you will inherit some failing sensor and probably fray one of the wires during install. The FI is an order of magnitude more complex and that leaves a lot more parts to fail. Just leave it be or supe up the carb setup.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
SlowMopar
Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys. I like carbs but I think I'll limit my carb use to my 67. I kind of enjoy working with FI more. Hopefully I'll have everything done in a couple months. I have to freshen up the motor before I do anything else to it.
-Ian

2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Mostly stock
(Suzuki SV650 coming soon)
1967 Dodge Polara 500 - Heavy mods
1984 VW Transporter - Stock
SlowMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Im with crazypete. I have a carbed mustang and its great. Although you do have to tune it every so often it is worth the work. It starts great any time of the year. Makes great power and its VERY simple to troubleshoot. While EFI has to worry about engine lights and sensors and all that i dont have to worry. No sensors to go bad. And if somethings wrong its either my msd or my carb, and they are very easy to track down. So my vote goes for keeping a carb.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
PKRWUD

Happy Birthday Ian!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote