MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-09-2001, 02:20 AM   #1
DemonGT
Registered Member

Post Fog Lights illegal???

i know there is at least one person on here who is a police officer or highway patrol or something..i got pulled over for my tint on my windows..its 20%..never had a prob before but i guess the cop was bored or something..but he also gave me a warning for my fog lights..said that your suppose to dim them when there is on coming traffic?? WTF..if i did that id wear out my switch..turning them off and on off and on..and almost every new vehical out there comes with fog lights and no one else that i see turns them off for oncoming traffic?? and i just spent the time and money to do the fog light fix so i can use them..if i have to turn them off for oncoming traffic why even use them or have them?? or was this cop pulling my chain..he wrote a code or something next to the warning..it says "Trans 305.075". can some one shead some light on this BS

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires,Competition gauges,C&L 76mm MAF

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,Shifter knob,E303 cam,cobra intake,65mm tb
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 08:03 AM   #2
Cajun
Registered Member

Demon: I don't know about Wisconsin, but I do know about Louisiana, I retired from the Sheriffs' Office. In La., fog lights are not proper illumination. This means that they cannot be on, unless the headlights are on. This is why Ford rigs the fog light switch so that the fog lights will not operate unless your headlights are on, it is illegal in most states. And the officer, if he believes that your fog lights are improperly aimed, can write you a ticket for "improper illumination". Call the Wisconsin DOT, they can read the law to you as it pertains to illumination.
Later
DT

------------------
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 09:09 AM   #3
matt cook
Registered Member

you can always go to your local library and look up the number in the State Code. It gives you the full description of the law. Cajun sounds right with his idea of why he warned you though.

------------------
1982 Mustang GT
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 09:24 AM   #4
1BadMoFo5.0

Here in North Carolina I have never had a problem running my foglights with my paqrking lights on like before it gets really dark. Almost everyone here (in my hometown) runs their foglight and parking lights before it gets completely dark. Then they run them when their headlights are on also. I really don't think they are illegal in any state.

------------------
89' 5.0 GT Convertible Mustang and a 69' Mustang Mach 1 Fastback. If you want to know the rest, buy the rights.
AOL name: Woodnutz351
Old 05-09-2001, 09:26 AM   #5
Capri306

I agree with Cajun. Most states have laws that say you must have the headlights on and that they can't be improperly aimed. Brightness, color, and weather conditions can also be factors. IMHO, some cars look ricey with just fogs and parking lamps on, anyways. That tint law is just crap so yeah, he must've been bored. Dumb luck, dude. Check the local laws & blow it off, hehehe.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 10:27 AM   #6
jimberg
Registered Member

Parking lamps are referred to as parking lamps for a reason. Fog lamps are called fog lamps for a reason. I usually keep my fog lamps on when my headlights are on, though, since they illuminate the area closest to the car best.

One of the big problems with using your parking lamps as "running lights" is that a lot of people forget to turn on their headlights when it gets dark.

I really don't like the idea of just running fog lamps, either. I can't agree with the people who think it looks cool. That's just my opinion.

What really bugs me, though, is when people don't turn on their headlights when it is raining. It's the law here, yet you never see cops writing tickets for it. When it's all grey and really hard to see, headlights are a big help.
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 12:10 PM   #7
DemonGT
Registered Member

id just like to clearfiy that my headlights WERE on..i had my headlights on with my foglights it was night time

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires,Competition gauges,C&L 76mm MAF

ICQ#35670781
Old 05-09-2001, 12:15 PM   #8
DemonGT
Registered Member

oh yea..and he said that i CAN have my headlights/foglights on just where there is on coming traffic i have to shut the fog lights off...if i did that when im in town id be constently turning them off and on...see what im saying? sounds like a bunch of BS to me..but if i get busted not "dimming" my foglights its a $60 fine. and with the tint..im siting here typing this i can look out the window and still see in my car...i think the cops in this town just had seeing ppl have anything nice..basturds

------------------

ICQ#35670781
Old 05-09-2001, 12:19 PM   #9
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BadMoFo5.0:
...I really don't think they are illegal in any state...

Sorry to burst your bubble bro, but when I lived in Oregon(3 years ago) I got pulled over a couple times for Fog lights. I can't say for any other state, but Oregon has a regulation that prevents foglights from being used on improved roads. The only way around this is if they are factory lights. They also don't allow any tint on any windows except the quarter windows.

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289, Manual 3-speed, Edelbrock 650, Flowmaster 3-chambers, and minor upgrades. Interior work includes custom paneling, custom dash dress-up(I refuse to cut anything out of the original), Rewiring most of the electronics, Porsche 911 seats installed soon, and Stroker kit when I get to Texas. November of 2001 I will go back to Dallas.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 01:01 PM   #10
jimberg
Registered Member

Since fog lights are aimed lower than your normal lights, I find it hard to believe that there would be a law against them. Highbeams are one thing, but fog lights are another.

If Wisconsin is like that, which I don't doubt, it confirms my belief that they're pretty much a-holes over there. Cops, that is, not the people. God, you can't even go 70 yet. They must really love the revenues from all the tickets.
Old 05-09-2001, 02:10 PM   #11
DemonGT
Registered Member

yea no crap jimberg they are a holes here...like 90% of the newer vehicals now come factory with fog lights..even vans do..i spent the time and money to do the fog light fix so i can use them now i cant...f**kers

------------------

ICQ#35670781
Old 05-09-2001, 02:58 PM   #12
jimberg
Registered Member

Which fog light fix did you do?
Old 05-09-2001, 06:03 PM   #13
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Come on jimberg, you and I both know the ****** Wisconsin cops only write tickets on us Minnesotan's. They literally patrol the border and think of reasons to **** us over.

Hell, it even made the news a couple years ago.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 06:50 PM   #14
jimberg
Registered Member

Let's see. I've gotten 3 tickets in Wisconsin. 2 in my Mustang and 1 in my wife's Probe. I was doing 96 in the Probe. $186.

You're right, though it is all out-of-state drivers that they pick on. This way they actually bring revenue into the state without sucking its own people dry. I hate driving through Wisconsin.
Old 05-09-2001, 07:31 PM   #15
zach0
Registered Member

I am apolice officer and from my understanding here Virginia and in most other states the fog lights are pretty much like high beams, you have turn them off within 100 yards of traffic, there are some places that sell sensors that automaticaly shut off your fog lights with oncoming traffic.
zach0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 11:39 PM   #16
DemonGT
Registered Member

-i did the fog light fix from the corral for 87-93 GT's...the fact that you cant use your fog lights in town with traffic is dumb..there aimed to the ground and on the 87-93 GT's there no brighter then your reg. headlights..so why dont ppl just shut all there lights off for oncoming traffic!! haha not to metion fox bodys look awsome with the fog lights on...Zach0..do you know what "Watch Commander" is? if so can you give me some info

------------------

ICQ#35670781
Old 05-09-2001, 11:51 PM   #17
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

They must be reeeeealy bored there..... The only thing I ever got a ticket for was the headlight and taillight blackouts. but all I had to do was take them off for 15 minutes and show the PD and just pay a 10.00 fine!!! As soon as I left I put them back on and that was 2 years ago!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 08:59 AM   #18
Cajun
Registered Member

Demon: On my car, when the headlights are on dim, the fog lights are on, when on bright-the fog lights go off. Would that officer rather you meet oncoming traffic with your brights on???? The newer Fords are wired this way. The fog lights will not come on alone, you must turn your headllights on.
And contrary to belief, in Louisiana-parking lights are improper illumination for driving, NIGHT OR DAY. They may ignore it in your town, they do not here. If you have your park lights on, you better be parked. If you wipers are on, you had better have your headlights on, STATE LAW! The fog lights on my 87 GT the factory fog lights were wired the same way as my 01 Cobra.
Later
DT

------------------
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote